Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Albeit I do have the Navigation Plus, the sound coming from the Seat Sound System speakers needed a bit of twigging. The centre speaker to me has too much power going to it and gives too much mid range. This is most noticeable. Changing the centre of the sound image doesn't help.

My best settings were these:

Knock the mid range down, put the tweeters up and the upper base up (edit also lift the lower base to the upper base - final analysis):

Keep the rear subwoofer as is and the image as the centre (defaults):

This twigging to me and the partner made the sound better and more natural.

Anybody else finding too much sound coming from the centre and found this twig useful I suspect the standard headend with the Seat Sound System is much the same. Possibly what is happening is the dolby surround sound type of stage for the speakers is putting too much speech frequency on the centre, pulling down the 1kHz band adjusts this out so you get the normal sound stage.

Footnote: possible still need to put the lower frequencies up a bit more, one on the left and maybe the subwoofer. Reduction in the mid range is the secret of fixing the centre speaker dash waffley sound. Was listening to Håkon Kornstad, Symphonies in My Head, where the base saxophone should be pretty deep, could have been deeper, the spital in the mouth piece was accurately reproduced.

Note that the proximity beam which is hidden from human eye is revealed on all of the screen pictures along the bottom.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm sorry but I'm struggling to take this post seriously with the word "twigging" in it :lol:

Are you sure you don't mean tweaking? ;)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem with auto correction and small type :). You can tweak and twig. Twig is more of a nudge.

Whilst first impressions of the Seat Sound System is good after a while you start to think there is something wrong with the way the sound is staged unless you are use to having a lot of mid range in the middle which you can't get rid of by the focus control. It appears the default equaliser balance is wrong. Several people have said on here when they get their car the Seat Sound System is good but not as good as other VW cars. That being the case a bit of reduction in the 1Khz band may help so as to knock out what's going to the centre speaker.

It's strange that they have the bias up on the centre speaker. If it was a home surround system you can adjust the front centre speaker and the rears and left / right independently. You can't get at what the front speaker is doing with the Seat sound system by balancing it out. The focus control just moves the focus around but not the level of sound on the front dash speaker without wrecking it for other people.

If you work on the basis that the front speaker is put there for mid range speech, like dolby surround then that's the culprit. They haven't got the balance right to that speaker, cutting back on that band provides a fix. Basically that's what the front speaker is there for.

Try it when you get your car.

I'm the author of the speaker project on the other board that many copied on their Leon Mk2's and Altea, that was more about ripping out the inbuilt poor speakers and silencing the tweeters, replacing those with quality speakers with decent crossover which many did. The tweeters seem fine in this car, door speakers fine, it's the dash speaker that's not right in the default setup.

Non Seat sound people won't have this problem since they don't have that centre speaker. Ideally you would want a control to adjust the centre speaker volume as said in home systems, this is a workaround for an incorrect default setup, that being the equaliser and the gain on each speaker.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
David_S said:
I'm sorry but I'm struggling to take this post seriously with the word "twigging" in it :lol:

Are you sure you don't mean tweaking? ;)
as long as he doesn't mean twerking :shock:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Tell ~ I love you to bits but I'm stating to imagine you cutting your grass with a rule and a pair of scissors :)

I feel positively slap dash about life in comparison :lol:

I'm just going to get in my car and drive and enjoy
Yes I might twiddle with the sound balance and a personal ride setting as I go along but my main aim is to have a big smile plastered across my face every time I get in her and not be worrying about the finer details :mrgreen:

Its a good job we're all different ~ makes the world much more interesting

Don't stop being you :D

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't worry I'm clutching SD cards at the minute.

I think you will find the default setting on theSeat Sound System is crappy unless you listen to speech radio a lot (e.g. John Humphrys will sound more high pitched and agitated) or it's how the Seat Navigation Plus balances things out against the non standard. I suspect they all put too much on the dash speaker.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Tell said:
Don't worry I'm clutching SD cards at the minute.

I think you will find the default setting on theSeat Sound System is crappy unless you listen to speech radio a lot (e.g. John Humphrys will sound more high pitched and agitated) or it's how the Seat Navigation Plus balances things out against the non standard. I suspect they all put too much on the dash speaker.
i'll be ok~ I listen to radio 4 going to and from work ;)

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Good choice!

I usually do the same, but I am still in bed!

Retirement is a wonderful thing.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I record the Today programme then get up for 6AM when it isn't. It's the only radio you need R4 and the World Service, well R3 and Radio Scotland for Celtic Music, I deleted the presets which had been put in the car, Magic FM etc. My cat gets up for Tweet of the Day which comes on just ahead of the Today programme. Come and get your crunchies and listen to Tweet of the Day:). The car goes R1-4 plus the World Service, plus the music collection in Flac now so it's all standardised.

I did see when I was experimenting with Android Auto I also had ABC Radio from Australia, so their app I have on the tablet is Android Auto friendly, useful for bushfires.... I don't listen to radio in the car unless stopped somewhere waiting for a ferry or to catch the PM programme before you get home. Music on the move for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry for digging up a old topic but yes... too much sound is coming from the center!!! Did anyone found a why to adjust this (except by the equalizer)? Maybe some OBDeleven magic or other less official method?

·
Registered
579 Posts
I can only seem to get it working nicely (using the equalizer) if I have the system focused on Driver rather than All. The quality is far better this way. When set on All it all sounds a bit average and I'm constantly fiddling with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.