Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My questions with my own answers are as follows:

1. What brand of tyres is factory fitted on your Ateca? What's the size of the wheel? Falken Ziex, 17'' alloys (Dynamic)
2. Would you/Did you replace with another brand? (Not to be confused with seasonal tyre change.) Didn't. May be would some time later after a couple of 10K kms.
3. Are you happy with your tyres? So far so good. But I have no idea about Falken tyres, I'm not familiar with the brand. I wish they were Continental or Michelin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,710 Posts
I have Bridgestone Turanza T001 on 18" wheels. I am happy with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Same as Fred. Seem OK, maybe a little noisy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Same tyres as Fred & DSG4WD, no issues, never noticed noise or any grip issues. All Good :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:shock: So far I'm the only one with an almost unknown brand...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
Mine came with Pirelli P zero.
Seem ok. Just turned 3k and the fronts hardly look touched..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,710 Posts
Bagheera said:
:shock: So far I'm the only one with an almost unknown brand...
There was a press release when the Ateca came out which highlighted the fact that they were going to use Falken tyres.

What you get also depends on what size wheels you have. Not all brands come in all the various Ateca options.

When people post details of their tyres, please also give the wheel size you have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Bridgestone Turanza T001 and with the 18" wheels - size is 215 50 R18 92W more info at:

http://www.bridgestone.co.uk/car-tyres/summer-tyres-turanza/t001/

Last Leon had Pirelli they where loud, uncomfortable and wore out extremely quickly. Replaced them with Avon ones, transformed the car completely and even after 9000 miles they still had a significant amount of tread left. It's too early to say whether the Bridgestone are better than the last SEAT OEM fit one thing to bear in mind is a nearly £140 these Bridgestone's! and is not many other brands available in the 215 50 R18 yet....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fred99 said:
Bagheera said:
:shock: So far I'm the only one with an almost unknown brand...
There was a press release when the Ateca came out which highlighted the fact that they were going to use Falken tyres.

What you get also depends on what size wheels you have. Not all brands come in all the various Ateca options.

When people post details of their tyres, please also give the wheel size you have.
You're right. Revising my post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Isn't Falken owned by Continental?

I've not got my Ateca yet but I've already enquired with Michelin about fitting Cross Climates. I have them on my current car and they are excellent all round. I'm not a fan of Bridgestone and the Turanza reviews for wet and winter aren't great. I'm also not a fan of all manufacturers fitting all new cars with summer tyres. These days All Season tyres should be an option. Unfortunately Michelin don't have any plans to produce the Cross Climate in the Xcellence size which I believe is 215/50/R18. Pants!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Golfmk56 said:
Bagheera said:
:shock: So far I'm the only one with an almost unknown brand...
'
Falken tyres - an unknown brand? :eek:

Have you seen the customer reviews from one of UK's leading online suppliers?

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/falken/ziex-ze-914#anchorAllReviews
Though my English is quite well, some of my comments may not be considered as "British" enough, considering my "location". :D
Despite the width of the tyre market here in Turkey, Falken is not a well known brand. People choose Pirellis, Michelins, Contis, Goodyears, Hankooks, Bstones, etc, however, Falken is quite unknown. I'll consider your link as a source of brief information. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
Bagheera said:
I'll consider your link as a source of brief information. :)
'
It was exactly the same here in the UK a few years ago. Hankook, Kumho, Falken etc were laughed at... the only reason being they were cheaper than Michelin and Continental. Then the penny began to drop and in many cases, the tyres were actually BETTER than the expensive brands. And now you'll find prices are much closer.

I think a few folk may get a surprise when they come to replace tyres on their Ateca - those 18" tyres come in a rather awkward size 215/50/18. Those Bridgestones are a very ordinary tyre, IMO they might be one of the reasons fuel consumption is slightly disappointing on the Ateca. But they are VERY expensive to replace !!!

My previous three cars came with Michelin from the factory and they have all put me off Michelin for good. My VW Golf was supplied with Hankook tyres which were every bit as good and cheaper to buy. When I replaced Michelins on my last two cars, as well as being quieter, I noticed a substantial differnece in fuel consumption - that's because the Hankook's ( for the sizes I bought ) additionally benefitted from a lower rolling resistence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Golfmk56 said:
Bagheera said:
I'll consider your link as a source of brief information. :)
'
It was exactly the same here in the UK a few years ago. Hankook, Kumho, Falken etc were laughed at... the only reason being they were cheaper than Michelin and Continental. Then the penny began to drop and in many cases, the tyres were actually BETTER than the expensive brands. And now you'll find prices are much closer.

I think a few folk may get a surprise when they come to replace tyres on their Ateca - those 18" tyres come in a rather awkward size 215/50/18. Those Bridgestones are a very ordinary tyre, IMO they might be one of the reasons fuel consumption is slightly disappointing on the Ateca. But they are VERY expensive to replace !!!

My previous three cars came with Michelin from the factory and they have all put me off Michelin for good. My VW Golf was supplied with Hankook tyres which were every bit as good and cheaper to buy. When I replaced Michelins on my last two cars, as well as being quieter, I noticed a substantial differnece in fuel consumption - that's because the Hankook's ( for the sizes I bought ) additionally benefitted from a lower rolling resistence.
You have a point about brand perception. When things go ear-to-ear, prejudgements perish, however, this takes time.
When I checked the link, I noticed most people appraised it. But, if you follow some German auto magazines, you always see the same brands on top. And they claim or make us believe the results make "reference".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,710 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
I think a few folk may get a surprise when they come to replace tyres on their Ateca - those 18" tyres come in a rather awkward size 215/50/18.
Presumably, as they are such an "odd" size, maybe that is reflected in the price. I wonder what the situation is with other similar SUVs. Maybe as more and more are on the road, the options and hence price may get more favourable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Falken Ziex I've run before...a very good tyre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
19" Continental summer tyres and 18" Dunlop winter tyres in Denmark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Fred99 said:
Golfmk56 said:
I think a few folk may get a surprise when they come to replace tyres on their Ateca - those 18" tyres come in a rather awkward size 215/50/18.
Presumably, as they are such an "odd" size, maybe that is reflected in the price. I wonder what the situation is with other similar SUVs. Maybe as more and more are on the road, the options and hence price may get more favourable.
I think a lot of car makers now are going down this route of 'bespoke' tyre size, i know the new Renault Scenic runs on 20", yes that's right 20"! And only 1 make now and this seem the case with my new SEAT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
jamesiow said:
Fred99 said:
Golfmk56 said:
I think a few folk may get a surprise when they come to replace tyres on their Ateca - those 18" tyres come in a rather awkward size 215/50/18.
Presumably, as they are such an "odd" size, maybe that is reflected in the price. I wonder what the situation is with other similar SUVs. Maybe as more and more are on the road, the options and hence price may get more favourable.
I think a lot of car makers now are going down this route of 'bespoke' tyre size, i know the new Renault Scenic runs on 20", yes that's right 20"! And only 1 make now and this seem the case with my new SEAT!
'
james is right. The car my Ateca replaced was common size tyres, as is the Tucson a family member just purchased. As sceptical as ever, my money is on a tyre manufacturer supplying tyres to the manufacturer at silly prices, perhaps free, or to follow the business model example of Mike O'Leary (Ryanair), have the product manufacturer pay SEAT to advertise their tyres.

Without going to the very cheap low quality brands, I think 18" tyres for the Ateca start around £140. It's only 215/50/18 which is quite narrow for 18". Go slightly wider 225/50/18 or more low profile 215/45/18 and prices start to tumble. Blackcircles are advertising the 18"Bridgestones on our Ateca's at just under £200 fitted :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Fred99 said:
I have Bridgestone Turanza T001 on 18" wheels. I am happy with them.
Same as Fred99 - Bridgestone Turanza tyres on UK Excellence standard fir 18" wheels - more than happy with them :D
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Top