Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early days for me as I've not even picked mine up yet. I'm going to change the wheels and tyres almost immediately and save the originals for when my son needs to insure it unmodified.

Living with VWs, Skodas and Audis for many years I've collected plenty of wheels normally fitted with winter tyres. When looking at tyre prices I noticed that a slight increase in width from 215 to 225 generally leads to lower priced tyres through economies of scale. I've not looked in every wheel size as I already have some 18s with tyres fitted and another set in the wings, but if you look at Maxxis AP2 (a well-reviewed all-season) for example, you will see what I mean.

I will actually be trying wider tyres because I already have them and they are an all-season that's not available in many sizes. If they fit I will then try some thinner/taller 17" winter tyres I used on the same car previously and which are still on compatible wheels.

I've been doing this for years, but just make sure your insurers know if you plan on changing anything.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks moderns.

I guess my point was more that a slight increase in width but retaining the same profile and wheel diameter can yield significantly lower prices for like-for-like replacements.

So for an increase to 225 width the ride height might increase by upto 5.5mm but the rolling circumference remains within 2%.

I didn't want to spark a debate on prices generally which are increasing; but rather to suggest that there were potential savings if more popular sizes were considered.

It's my pet subject but I know it doesn't float everyone's boat and that there will always be those who want the comfort of refitting identical tyres to those put on at the factory. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Niggly said:
Sorry mcd - Android autocorrect interfered. ;)
Haha - no worries!
Anyway, I am modern. Could have been modem, model or who knows what on autocorrect. Saggy dubbed me MackyD anyway, so I'll answer to anything reasonable :lol:

I know what you mean on tyres; lost count of the times I have, or people I know, have been told by tyre suppliers etc. 'Oh that's an unusual size, only really for your model'....WTF :lol:

Plus insurance can be really arsey about such changes, often not understanding that you're not compromising safety. Causes a right pickle with winter tyres esp. when often a smaller diameter tyre is often recommended :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, 215/50 R18 is a pretty unusual size.

If you go "up" to a 225/50 R18 or "down" to a 225/45 R18 then there's a lot more choice: better compounds, winters, runflats, all seasons, budgets - whatever floats your boat. It's no problem putting a 225 on a 7J rim from a physical fitment perspective.

When my tyres are shot I'll be looking at alternative sizes & compounds.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Don't think I'll worry about that, and whether or not to get a set of winter wheels, unless for whatever reason I decide to buy the Ateca at the end of the lease; meantime tyre costs are Leaseplan's to worry about over the next 3 years :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.