Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I need to buy some winter tyres for my Ateca. Was thinking of getting 16 inch but checked with the dealer and they say this will not work and I should get at least 17 inch. Can someone advise?

Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
338 Posts
Gooner100 said:
Hi I need to buy some winter tyres for my Ateca. Was thinking of getting 16 inch but checked with the dealer and they say this will not work and I should get at least 17 inch. Can someone advise?

Thanks
Jon
Maybe because your wheel size is 17"? :?:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I suspect Jon means wheels (with tyres too lol)

Otherwise like trying to squash me in a size 12 latex suit :eek:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had this "discussion" with another dealer as I didn't want 19" low profile wheels on a 4x4. I pointed out that a 17" wheel with a higher sidewall had exactly the same rolling radius and thus wouldn't affect the gearing, but he wouldn't have it. Said it would invalidate the warranty! That's what stopped me looking any further at a Kia Sportage 4x4.
Jon, perhaps you could find out the PCD and offset of the fixing holes and get some steel wheels off the wonder web?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Jon I have winter wheels and tyres for the Polo and A3 (not yet for the Ateca as it's not been a difficult winter and I'd want to see how the 4 drive system copes in snow mode without them first; also not a legal requirement in U.K.). The other cars are FWD hence my logic. In both cases I've fitted genuine OE wheels. The A3 had optional 18' wheels from factory; I've fitted 17's and bigger tyres and it's fine; the Polo has 16' OE winter wheels and tyres.

As Phosphoruc says, the real issues are firstly ensuring the wheel offset is sufficient to give clearance for brake components and doesn't have the wheel coming out from under the wheelarch at all; next is rolling circumference must be with +\- 3 % of the factory wheel &!tyre combo so as not to disrupt speedo & mileage readings.

It is true that any given size of tyre MAY be able to be fitted to slightly different wheels, and vice versa, but that is mainly to do with the tyre cross-sectional width; fit the wrong size tyre & wheel and the tyre risks coming off the rim due to insufficient grip / seating against the rim wall.

Dealers are often not so well clued up; I'd ask a reputable wheel supplier if I were you - but I'd also stick to OE wheels if possible.

Other thoughts - insurance! Assuming you're in U.K. you need to check this for your insurer re. winter tyres (and remember about wheels if you intend to change them too). They vary on notification or not, and in wheels or tyre change only. If you do anything that could be considered by your insurer to present a risk, you could invalidate your cover, so be careful

https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and-savings/Products/Motor-insurance/~/media/4621107A11034C2E98AD503657A699FB.ashx

If you're already aware of any of this, apologies! Info may help others, though :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi Jon,

have a look at this site: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

I'm not sure of the Ateca standard tyre size but for example if it is 215/55 R17 this gives a diameter of 26.3".
A 215/60 R16 tyre has a diameter of 26.2".

Speedo error on that combination is 30.1 @ 30mph and 60.2 @ 60mph.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Phosphoric said:
Hi Jon,

have a look at this site: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

I'm not sure of the Ateca standard tyre size but for example if it is 215/55 R17 this gives a diameter of 26.3".
A 215/60 R16 tyre has a diameter of 26.2".

Speedo error on that combination is 30.1 @ 30mph and 60.2 @ 60mph.
Hi Jon,

In addition to that one posted by Phosphoric, I've used this one where there may also be a change in wheels as well as tyres. It assumes the wheels have the correct PCD, and that wheel spacers aren't going to be used:

http://www.willtheyfit.com

·
Registered
918 Posts
Saggy said:
I suspect Jon means wheels (with tyres too lol)

Otherwise like trying to squash me in a size 12 latex suit :eek:
Said it once before...."no further questions, M'lud !' :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all thanks for the info, actually I am in France near the Alps, so winter tyres are kind of compulsory!! Weirdly the dealer I am buying the car from will only supply with summer tyres. My version comes with 19" wheels and wanted something bit less expensive and more comfy for winter.

Smaller tyres and alloys work out about the same cost as just 19" tyres.

I saw some models come with a 16" wheel as standard in France so assume I could get a 16" for my Excellence???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts