Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From April 1st the car tax system in the UK changes. The below link explains what is changing:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/advice/news/2016/keep-em-green-treat-em-mean-government-set-for-5-billion-car-tax-windfall/

Basically if you buy a low emission car you're going to be quite substantially worse off. Even I would be worse off with my 1.4 Tsi as I would have to pay £160 instead of zero in the first year then £30 more a year. Those who are buying a 1.6 Tdi will go from nothing in the first year to £140 and then from £20 a year to £140 a year. Considerably more!

The whole system seems very unfair, especially on low polluting cars. You will actually be considerably better off if you buy a high polluting car under £40k which seems crazy.

Basically, if you've currently got an order placed with Seat I'd be pushing to ensure it will be registered before 1st April otherwise you'll be paying more car tax.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Under the current system and with vehicles emitting lower CO2's, the revenue that the treasury would get would be dwindling. Can't have that! Hence Osborne's new rates. It's not really about emissions, it's more about the government's cash flow.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
& paying for roads, mute point, than a minor tool for slapping people's wrists on perceived pollution types. Amount that people are spending on new cars makes this figure look very minor and not possibly worth worrying about.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tell said:
& paying for roads, mute point, than a minor tool for slapping people's wrists on perceived pollution types. Amount that people are spending on new cars makes this figure look very minor and not possibly worth worrying about.
I disagree, you're talking £800 more that you are going to have to fork out in the first 5 years of owning a 1.6 Tdi than you would have done. It might be very minor if you're buying a Ferrari but I would call it quite significant when you're only looking at a car in the region of £20k.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It appears the 1.6 Tdi is a group C car and currently costs £30 a year to tax, I could have swore there was an Ateca that got in to group B!

·
Registered
283 Posts
This is awesome, will save a fortune on my GTR tax conveniently due on the 1/4

·
Registered
979 Posts
AndyE14 said:
This is awesome, will save a fortune on my GTR tax conveniently due on the 1/4
Sorry AndyE14 it only affects cars registered after 1st April. Cars before this continue on the existing tax, as per this on whatcar site http://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/ved-car-tax-changes-in-2017-what-do-i-need-to-know/

"What about cars that are already registered?

If you buy your car before 1 April 2017, you won't be affected by these changes because they only apply to cars registered on or after that date. Your car tax will continue to be calculated using the old system of CO2 emissions, meaning that in the vast majority of cases you'll be better off.

So, how much worse off will you be if you buy a car under the new tax system? What Car? has worked out the costs over three years for some of the UK's most popular models. Click through to the next page to view the results."

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
David_S said:
It appears the 1.6 Tdi is a group C car and currently costs £30 a year to tax, I could have swore there was an Ateca that got in to group B!
That tax level is incredibly too low. It's that debate about how roads are paid for, road tax and fuel tax. My old car was over £100 on a 12 year old car so it makes no difference to me. Tax cars off the road for pollution is another debate. Alot of people would continue with their bangers. Given a fare few drive without tax and insurance....

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tell said:
David_S said:
That tax level is incredibly too low. It's that debate about how roads are paid for, road tax and fuel tax. My old car was over £100 on a 12 year old car so it makes no difference to me. Tax cars off the road for pollution is another debate. Alot of people would continue with their bangers. Given a fare few drive without tax and insurance....
The problem that I see though is that other than lower mpg there is not much incentive to buy a lower polluting car now. Tax costs are certainly a consideration when I buy a car and I think I will be more inclined to buy a more powerful but higher polluting car next time. Surely I won't be the only one with this thought process which means vehicle pollution is likely to increase.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Until the filtering methods are improved and monitored better. The movement is to hybrid / electric / hydrogen. EU law will push types of vehicles off the road. VW were stupid selling diesel cars in America where they have been hot on pollution for atleast for 30 years, then fiddling the measurements.

·
Registered
241 Posts
There is a surcharge on the first five years for most cars costing over £40k. It's about £310 per year. That will cover a lot of the more heavily polluting new cars.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Tell said:
Do you know what percentage goes into the 'paying for roads' budget from the vehicle excise duty? This coming year there's probably more chance of it going into bringing back civil servants to deal with the Brexit car crash!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NeilW said:
There is a surcharge on the first five years for most cars costing over £40k. It's about £310 per year. That will cover a lot of the more heavily polluting new cars.
Not if the car is worth less than £40k!

·
Registered
280 Posts
On reading the above posts, I guess that those of us who have an Ateca due to be delivered to their dealer in March will be doing all they can so as to ensure that he registers it before 1st April 2017!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Montala said:
On reading the above posts, I guess that those of us who have an Ateca due to be delivered to their dealer in March will be doing all they can so as to ensure that he registers it before 1st April 2017!
Yes, my point exactly. I wonder what will happen if someone has been quoted delivery in Feb or March and it turns out to be April. I'm guessing the Seat sales reps have been told to be very clear to customers that delivery times can not be guaranteed.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Isn't this addressing Gordon Brown's lower tax nudge to get people to buy cars which pushed out less CO2 but then it was realised it wasn't a good idea as far as diesels so things are going back to how they were for the majority of drivers. These are only "nudge" figures and people who buy big beasts can afford it. I can see that for people who change cars more often they have got use to the low tax figure that us older timers have still been paying :D.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My build week has fortunately moved forward several times from the last week of March, to the last week of February to now the first week of February!

I have agreed with my dealer that they will register my car on 31 March and I will collect it on Saturday 1 April (I don't fly back from my holiday until 9pm on 31 March!). This will save me a few hundred pounds over the next few years of ownership.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts