Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The U.K. Configurator is now up and running! (Shout out to rkenny for first noticing in another thread).

Seems like a good thread to collect our observations and ideal spec choices.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well that was disappointing, the First Edition appears to only be available in small engine configurations. As a company car, it looks like my choice will be limited to Mediterranean blue and the somewhat fussy 'performance' Xcellence wheels after all. Oh well, I had hoped for a 190 DSG in orange, with bi-colour 18" wheels but it looks like it's not to be.
The Xcellence spec looks similar to the pre-sales brochure.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right, first edition has popped up on configurator now as well. Must have the website fanfare and emails about to hit. It is somewhat surprising it has the cheapest engine but after a quick glance (still at work) it seems you get amazing standard of kit for the price paid. I will have to configure one as shown to compare the saving.

Doesn't have the panoramic sunroof that I am loath to give up from my current car, but otherwise has loads of extras I would like and wouldn't normally afford. Will see. Will come down to that and the engine as to whether I commit to first edition. Anyone seen any reviews on how the Ateca handles on 18" wheels?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Looks good but I wish that the latest cars would have a 17" wheel as an option or standard. Cars seem to ride better on smaller wheels. The test drives I've had with 18" or 19" wheels feel very poor in comparison to 17". The higher the spec the bigger the wheels, they do look better though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you not fit 17s on Xcellence models? I presumed 18s would be on the first edition. Not ideal but as long as they don't wreck the ride like they can do on some models, I don't mind.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm sure you can but I think the Xcellence comes with 18/19" wheels so they would have to be after market (cost?)
My current car has 17" wheels and I use 16" wheels for a set of winter tyres there is a big difference, for me, in the ride quality. I'm happy enough with the 17" though. I sometimes feel it's style over ride for me? I tried a CX5 with 19" wheels the ride was poor on uneven road surfaces but OK on the very best surfaces. There are a lot of poor road surfaces around at present.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes definitely, the roads are generally terrible! 18" are another minus point in the first edition spec for me I think, along with lack of pano roof.

I have narrowed it down to 3 specs, one of which is the first edition at 22k.

Then I have an SE model with 1.0 petrol engine, options being pano sunroof (plus the mandatory led interior ambience lighting which you must have with the pano for some reason), nicer than standard 17 alloys, and keyless entry with the magic virtual pedal boot and connectivity wireless charging hub! That comes in at 22500.

Finally I have the same spec as above but with the 1.4 petrol which comes in at a somewhat eye watering 23850. As well as gaining on power this is the only spec that gives me the drive selector. A nice option but not sure what it will achieve aside from another switch to play with. Seems more important for 4WD models.

My spec in the 1.0 gains a pano sunroof and the 17" (which is a plus in my eyes as i said). However it loses Full LED lights, SAT NAV (don't care will use carplay and apple maps), DAB, and finally rear parking camera (nice but defo not essential). A lot of equipment to lose and my spec is more expensive by £500! hmmmmmm. Decisions. Essentially comes down to what i would prefer, Full LED lights, extra toys and £500 in my pocket vs pano sunroof.

Playing with the configurator has helped me decide on the samoa orange however! Feel like being brave.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think I read somewhere that Seat UK are only producing 200 1st Edition cars. So if you are keen you may have to be quick!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have emailed my dealer expressing my serious interest. Hopefully that will put me in line with a chance. I have asked if there are any restrictions on who can buy and what type of deal you have to get. May be there is no room to haggle on first edition, or more expensive pcp deals, meaning my other desired specs come in cheaper. Who knows.

The more I ponder though the more I am finding it hard to turn down the extra kit, especially as the car itself is so close to the SE spec I want anyway but with extras and cheaper. The pano roof may have to be put on the back burner for the next 4 years! Just hope the 1.0 Tsi isn't a let down. They must have faith in it to put it in the first edition.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Coming from cars that have 19" wheels I can tell you that suspension plays a key role too - test a BMW with 19" wheels in 'M-Sport' suspension vs one without, same with Audi with and without 'S-Line' suspension. I admit I'm used to the ride being a little bumpy now so it doesn't really bother me, I think the suspension setup should be fine, you can't really tell a Qashqai is riding on 19"s.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've just checked the brochure and the Xcellence spec includes the Winter Pack as standard. The Winter Pack includes heated seats so no need to worry!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rob said:
Coming from cars that have 19" wheels I can tell you that suspension plays a key role too - test a BMW with 19" wheels in 'M-Sport' suspension vs one without, same with Audi with and without 'S-Line' suspension. I admit I'm used to the ride being a little bumpy now so it doesn't really bother me, I think the suspension setup should be fine, you can't really tell a Qashqai is riding on 19"s.
Cheers rob, good to know. Feel more confident about the 18s now. They definitely look better and it's a free option effectively. Let's hope I get 1 of the 200!

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Well to be honest sometimes I do sacrifice some things for looks and alloys are one of them. If you like the ride then only other thing you need to worry about with larger wheels are the increase in cost come replacement tyre time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did just replace two front tyres on my 500L. That was just due to a nail in my front right rather than wear, and I have had that 3 years next month. I think it's worth it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The link below is to a German Seat Ateca forum - Motortalk. It shows that orders in Germany opened in early March and already some buyers have been given delivery dates in early 2017. There seems to be an issue with panoramic sunroofs and 19" wheels causing delays. One very frustrated poster said he ordered a Tiguan, got a build date then had it cancelled and was told they were not taking orders at the moment for the Tiguan, so he was looking at the Ateca. Overall it may be that VW group are have launch issues with these cars. Maybe Seat UK will have some 'protected' build capacity, especially for the 1st Edition but perhaps we should be prepared for long build times.

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/ateca-lieferzeiten-t5675766.html

(Opening the link in Chrome browser automatically translates).

·
Registered
118 Posts
That's bad news but remember what it was like with the first Yeti's and frankly it's not a lot better. All these cars are trying to get access to a limited range of engines, 1.4TSI and 150 TDi. One of the guys on the Skoda forum ordered early Jan and has just taken delivery of a 1.4. Introducing the Tiguan and Ateca art virtually the same time is looking like it's causing problems.
The sun roof has for along time been a delaying issue on the Yeti and at different times was deleted from the catalogue for various periods. My current Yeti order was placed on WK 17 with an anticipated delivery of WK 24/25. Current estimate for the build date, not delivered, is WK31 add three weeks for transport, delivery, PDI etc and that is WK 34.
What's needed for all concerned is some clear information for the dealers and potential buyers. I've still not heard from Seat after signing up for the 'keep me informed' mails! Anyone got a mail yet?

·
Registered
22 Posts
You're dead right Ernie! The 'Keep me informed' idea must have seemed good when they thought it up but, like you, I have had nothing from them - maybe the news is too depressing to share with us!

I want my next new car for March next year. If it is delayed into April it then comes under the new car tax regime which will be an extra £110 per annum which I would rather avoid. I reckon I might have to order in July/August to have a chance of March delivery and that is before I get a chance to test drive one. Hopefully things will become clearer for UK orders before then.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think you should be alright particularly if you manage to place an order with a deal that is dependant on a test drive? If they are delaying things, for whatever reason, I'm sure you'd be able to negotiate that sort of approach.
I wanted to make the change sooner than later so opted for what I thought was a safe route by going down the Skoda route again then look at the Ateca after the initial surge of interest has died down and I could evaluate at my leisure.
I'm sure you'll be OK with your timescales.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like if you commit early enough rkenny you should hit March deadline. I hope for you and all our sakes you do, otherwise something will have gone seriously wrong!

I am second in line for the first edition at my dealership. The two of us have both expressed firm interest/commitment so if the dealership can get them, I will be fine. There are 6 people behind me already! Sounds popular!

As for standard edition, if those sorts of delays do manifest themselves into Christmas and beyond I will be forced to reconsider. I cannot afford to borrow my families second car for that length of time, 6 months plus. It would certainly make me think twice about the pano roof!

For the minute I would prefer not to panic, and give them the benefit of the doubt. When (if!!) they take orders in early June and still state September then I would hope they wouldn't mislead or play games, knowing delays are likely.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.