Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So when I got my Ateca back in September, I was quite excited to use the video feature I read about in the online manuals, only to find that the Navi System does not allow video playback and it's the Navi System Plus that has this and the DVD playback feature.

However, I thought I would give it a go as my USB stick had some video files on it, and I found that the system plays the file, but only outputs the audio. You can hear the movie/TV show/whatever, but you just can't see it. So this led me to believe that maybe the only thing stopping video playback is a setting hidden somewhere, or even the firmware loaded onto my radio system is made different from the Navi System Plus, with the difference between the two firmware is just the settings disable video output, among other features you get in the Navi System Plus.

So I wonder if there is a way to get video playback working. I'm not going to risk bricking my system by loading the wrong firmware to it, mind.

Now I had a look in the hidden service menu, but there was only four options, even when I held the Menu button for 10-20 seconds. Three were just about installed and compatible codes, and the fourth option, "TFI", would play an error tone when I pressed to look at it.

I'm new to Seat, this is my first Seat car, so I wouldn't know where to start looking. My old BMW Mini could be connected to the computer with a £15 lead from eBay, but I don't know how Seat works in this regard.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Tell is the technical expert on these things; he'll point you in the right direction or to related threads on this and what you can do through OBDII port & programming. He has NAVI plus if I recall correctly. :D

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
My technical reading says that the chip set is different between units so you will never be able see the video. Might be the chipsets the same but microcode thingey, help me out Kindness, is different (the chips program-able microcode... Didn't need Kindness got there). The low level coding is different, if I find this reference again I'll post it up. That's why a Plus system plays video, a standard one will never play video. Missing the video codec.

I would still like positive confirmation that you can get the standard system to beep at speed cameras after uploading the POIs. The Plus will do this but the German Ateca board not so clear. So I'd like to know whether any one got the beeps out of the unit or whether Seat muted that feature.

Thanks Mcderm... I now feel I'll have to find that link now. I know it's come up before and I did stumble over the definitive answer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Tell, so picking up OBDeleven won't help as the codecs are not there? Gotcha. Kinda gutted, but what can you do, really? I do wonder if the codecs are in the firmware, but again, not going to risk putting the wrong firmware on there (the system might not even let you.)

If it's something I can do, I don't mind uploading speed cameras POIs to my system and can test it out for you?

I might still pick an OBDeleven up so I can get 'dial sweep' and 'passenger mirror dipping on reversing' working.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Radiocaf

The ding thread is here if you haven't found it, so yes, I'd like to know whether the standard system has the sound enabled...

http://www.atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=112

If you have x,y destinations from another satnav you can import them this way as well, pick them off once imported and save as destinations. This is how you import destinations in from another system if you can get them out of that.

As for Codec your stuck I'm afriad. I have been looking for that reference again... will take a time. Could have been on the German Ateca board. The two systems are different so the Plus that uses an SSD isn't going to install on the standard system since it won't find the memory. It's like sat TV boxes where the codec is updated in the installation, the two flavours run different codec in the microcode of the chipset. That's how I remember what I read.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thank you for this information - I am really angry now. I thought that I will be able to play videos on my Navi System Standard. Hopefully I can change the configuration to Navi Plus - my Ateca will be in production at the end of January.

Seat should clearly state the difference in the configurator!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Even dealers don't seem to understand the difference, the best info I've found came from Tell on this forum. Ridiculous, really - I've even been advised against going for Navi Plus on the grounds that it doesn't have much extra functionality for the (extortionate and disproportionate) extra cost. Of course it also includes SEAT Sound, but even there it's not clear, beyond the extra couple of speakers, precisely what you're getting for the money!

The brochures and configurator are as much help as a chocolate teapot, and the dealers don't seem much better. Why can't SEAT manage to brief the sales staff at least? It's almost like deliberate obfuscation!

My provisional build date is week 9/17 and I'm still thinking about whether to upgrade to Navi Plus; sadly it conflicts with the double boot floor (because of the requirement for a real spare wheel to accommodate the subwoofer which comes with SEAT Sound which comes with Navi Plus) which I was quite keen on to get a flat boot entry - I've had a flat boot floor with 2 Leons and an Altea XL, and bashed my fingers more times unloading one bootload of stuff from an Ibiza courtesy car (with a loading lip) than I've done in the last 15 years!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
The boot only drops down 3" or so with the 4WD. I wondered whether it was done so things don't slide into the tailgate on the assumption that 4WD will go off road. I haven't bashed my fingers on it, but the basic carpet is very slippery, using that mat suggested by Mcderms and Saggy has totally fixed stuff sliding about in the back.

As I've mentioned before anyone who's had the Altea double boot in all forms, standard, XL or FourTrack will have to cut back substantially on what they carry in the lower area.

Seat Sound basically it improves the base response. Moot point whether the rest of the speakers are the same or not. There is a video indexed from the German Ateca board which shows a German audio magazine testing the Seat sound system with assorted test equipment. The bottom line seemed that they liked it, Leon X-perence with it fitted

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=de&sp=nmt4&u=http://motorblock.at/soundtracker/&usg=ALkJrhho3SYM6PdWSVZY1eTWC-Xw784jFQ

There are some German threads where they try to resolve the difference in the two satnav models. Supporters and detractors, bit like here. It is a luxury, gives you video, two free SD slots, I know speed cameras work with it, not sure whether / yet to be confirmed the standard system dings on the cameras.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm trying to find a decent, free, UK speed camera database to test it with, Tell.

I have found some paid options, but I want to test it with a free option, just because cash is a tad tight at the moment.

I had no choice but to opt for a SE Technology, because I was still stuck in a finance agreement with Mini and it was too small now we have a baby, so I pretty much had to choose an "as it comes" model and the XCELLENCE was a bit out of budget for me. I did get a rubber boot mat, which is nice to have. and stops things sliding around. I don't know if it comes with the SE Technology as standard or if I got it as a little freebie because my Ateca was the first delivered by my dealership. They had managers from other branches come and watch the handover lol, it was a special occasion for us all!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
You can put the unit on demo mode to test out whether you get the beep once you have any old database in or try it out on say McDonald's POIs. Anything you can load up. Feed it through the VW ststem that makes the upload files ensuring sound is toggled on, on both the VW software and the cars unit. Pull that POI up to show on the screen. Put the navigation into demo and put a route in between the other side of the POI and you. Sit back and watch the POI come up and listen for the beep. Not forgetting to take it back off demo. Then you can think about paying for a camera database.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perfect, I will try that, I didn't think about just doing it with any POI set.

·
Registered
45 Posts
radiocaf said:
Yeah, I'm trying to find a decent, free, UK speed camera database to test it with, Tell.

I have found some paid options, but I want to test it with a free option, just because cash is a tad tight at the moment.
You can get 100% free fixed and mobile speed sites from poiplaza.com. That's where I got mine from, and I can confirm that you do get an audio tone approaching a site on the standard Nav unit.

If you PM me an email address I will happily send you the files I created from poiplaza, though I did little more than follow the instructions posted here.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have made an official complaint and got a call from Seat asking me for details as it seams dealers are not aware of this difference between Navi Standard and Plus. So hopefully Seat will include this information in the configurator. I told the guy that customers are angry.

Unfortunately I was not able to change my order as the car has confirmed production week. Anyways I do think I would be playing videos in Ateca.

The question is - are you able to play videos from mobile phone on Navi Standard via mirrorlink or android auto etc? If yes I do not need the Plus one :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Just wondering why you would want to actually watch videos on the infotainment screen anyway? You certainly shouldn't be watching them while driving anyway as it's illegal. I believe all manufacturers have it so its disabled if moving or hand brake off. If your stationary still dont think I would want to sit there long enough to watch anything. In fact I chuckled when I read you could display photos on the screen never mind videos. :lol:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well I though I could play some videos to my son while waiting in the car... or play some music videos for myself but it is not that important to me. I was just not happy that I was not aware of this difference thats all :)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
It isn't HD quality more like SD. In fact its less than SD in video mode playing SD.

Page 27 of the infotainment manual says 720 x 576 maximum but then shows 352 x 288 for MPEG-1 and MPEG-2. Nothing listed for the other formats. When I did try a DVD in the navigation plus the picture quality was terrible which confirms to me for video the resolution is poor for video, as a display it's 720 x 576. With tablet video viewing we expect something better. SD shown on it isn't even SD. As a normal display it's fine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard-definition_television

Page 27 of the infotainment manual:

- Maximum resolution 720 x 576 pixel and 25-30 fps
(frames per second).
- MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 (.mpg, .mpeg, .m2ts, .avi
and .mkv) format with maximum resolution of 352x288
pixel.
- ISO MPEG-4 (.mp4, .m4v, .avi, .mov, .3gp and .mkv) for-
mat.
- MPEG-4 ASP DivX 4, 5 and 6 (.avi, .divx and .mkv) for-
mat.
- MPEG-4 Xvid (.avi and .mkv) format.
- MPEG-4 H.264 format: (.mp4, .m4v, .mov, .
3gp, .avi, .m2ts, .mkv, .flv, .f4v and .webm).
- Windows Media Video 9 (.wmv, .asf, .mp4, .m4v, .mov, .
3gp and .avi) format.
- MJPEG (.avi, .mov, .mp4 and .m4v) format.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried to play video files with my Navi System (non Plus). It plays the sound, but no picture. I converted the video files for the appropriate resolution, but it was a no go.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
It's not suppose to have the video codec so it won't that's true.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.