Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Virtual Pedal

19K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  bigglesgirl 
#1 ·
I picked up my Ex-Demo 1.4 TSI Xcellence from the dealer yesterday. It was first registered in September. I noted that the virtual pedal for the tailgate didn't work. The dealer said that this feature was no longer fitted because there had been lots of problems and Seat had decided to remove it. I thought this explanation was a little dubious and, on reaching home, I checked the latest brochure (12/16) and noted that the virtual pedal is still being actively marketed as a feature. Has anyone else heard of this removal and what is the experience of virtual pedal with those who have Kessy?

#2 ·
Nope sorry mate the dealer has lied to you. I picked mine up on sunday will fully functioning virtual pedal. If you look back through the forum you will see that there was problems with the earlier cars virtual pedal that had a recall on the control unit to be replaced. Go back to your garage or better still phone SEAT customer services on 0500 222222 and mention this. :eek:

#3 ·
Your dealer gave you hodgepoge (if correctly spelt). Some Seat dealers are the pits.

There was a production issue around week 39 or 37 which went on for two or three weeks where the control boxes fitted were problematic (see table below). Mine was one of them. It did effect all customers across Europe. The Seat German Ateca board did their own analysis. At one point customer services said there were over 160 cars effected which is a lot if that was the UK number or perhaps Europe.

Your garage must have its head in the sand if they don't know about this or don't want to worry with warranty repairs which says alot about them. They just order another control box in and fit it. That's about two weeks from start to end. A two hour job in the garage to rummage around in the boot. They told me there was some reprogramming so presumably they have to reprogrammed the control unit and other bits and bobs to introduce the component. That's why they told me it was two hours. I had a loan car out for the day.

There have been a few popping up on here with this issue with demonstrator cars or stock ones that have been built which to me all clearly date back to this period.

(Kindness got in front of me in my long answer :)... )

Some threads for further reading

http://atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=328&p=2918&hilit=virtual+pedal#p2918

http://atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=273&p=2660&hilit=virt+virtual+pedal#p2660

As Kindness said.... if you get no joy put Customer Services on to them. I'm impressed with their approach of dealing with your problems, they liase backwards and forwards between you and your dealer till the issue gets solved. I'd forgot about this issue and thought I'd had three, no four, no wireless charger built into the car, no passenger footwell light, incorrectly fitted heated wing mirror and virtual pedal not working.

I'm looking for the survey the German Ateca board did where they pinned down the build weeks. They get their Heckklappe s sorted in October / November / December between pages 17 and 24.

https://www.ateca-forum.de/index.php/Thread/260-Elektrik-der-Heckklappe-teilweise-ohne-Funktion-Tipps-Tricks/?pageNo=23&s=a1809e65e026744cab43f2d8d1c80671ed1389cc

Page 16 and above these are the listed build week problems

KW 31 - OK
KW 32 -?
KW 33 - OK
KW 34 - OK
KW 35 - Error
KW 36 - Error
KW 37 - Error
KW 40- Error

From recollection mine was build in week 39. It's these cars in the UK that are being sold on where the control unit hasn't been replaced.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. As it turns out, and as you suspected, the dealer didn't seem to know what he was talking about. I went out to the car this morning and tried it for myself. After a few attempts, and a manoeuvre akin to the Ministry of Silly Walks, the tailgate opened. I can do it every time now.

#5 ·
It takes some doing to get the technique; to wiggle or not and getting the step back! How long were you stood practicing?? Now you've mastered it you'll probably use it even when your hands are free.
Thankful for the beeps on closing one of the dogs managed to trigger it while I was putting something in.

#6 ·
I said to Saggy months ago that an intelligent pet would get the hang of opening it. A prime candidate would be a Labrador or a British Blue cat. Glad it's sorted now. Said person called it a wiggle it's a drop kick as one poster said. You need the keys on you when you do that, not inside, it needs to scan the fod at the back and foot going underneath and the step back. Repeat till it opens or closes.

#7 ·
I find if you just put your left foot in, your left foot out and do the hokey pokey then step back it works every time :D

#8 ·
Kindness71 said:
I find if you just put your left foot in, your left foot out and do the hokey pokey then step back it works every time :D
Glad I don't have a virtual pedal; the three inside are enough for me to deal with :lol: :lol:

#9 ·
I did actually have a problem the other day when taking those photos. While still getting used to the automatic handbrake I managed to stall the car. I got out to get my camera from the boot and bu66er could I open it. Not only did the virtual boot fail, but the keyfob and also the button on the boot :roll: I had to go through the centre ski hatch on the seats to get it. Once I had started the car again all was fine but just found it a bit weird and frustrating :?

#10 ·
Keys still in the boot from that I think. Golf mk7 kessy owners use to get their keys locked in the boot and had to smash a side window to get in. I try to be careful, either have them in my shoulder bag up front when I get out or in my coat pocket in the back. I try to open the back door before I shut the front. I don't totally trust it.

It is possible via ODB to do central locking when the keys are removed from the car. Bad idea you would lock friends and family in it when you popped into a shop.

#11 ·
Tell said:
Keys still in the boot from that I think. Golf mk7 kessy owners use to get their keys locked in the boot and had to smash a side window to get in. I try to be careful, either have them in my shoulder bag up front when I get out or in my coat pocket in the back. I try to open the back door before I shut the front. I don't totally trust it.

It is possible via ODB to do central locking when the keys are removed from the car. Bad idea you would lock friends and family in it when you popped into a shop.
No the keys were in my pocket, just boot wouldn't open :?

#12 ·
I've got to say I honestly believe the virtual pedal is just a money making gimmick and I am very glad I never specified it on my car. There seems to be more stress and confusion about it's use than there are comments about the advantage of having it.

#13 ·
As a prospective purchaser, my 4 day demo car arrives today, can I ask if the KESSY system alone allows you to open the boot with a remote button on the keyfob...Seat say it does, but it took them a long while to reply.

I want key operated remote boot opening, but I do not want or need the virtual pedal.

Intended purchase is Xcellence trim.

Many thanks.

#14 ·
MrsH said:
It takes some doing to get the technique; to wiggle or not and getting the step back! How long were you stood practicing?? Now you've mastered it you'll probably use it even when your hands are free.
Thankful for the beeps on closing one of the dogs managed to trigger it while I was putting something in.
Must have been trying for about 10 minutes, much to the amusement of the neighbours!

#15 ·
Outlander said:
As a prospective purchaser, my 4 day demo car arrives today, can I ask if the KESSY system alone allows you to open the boot with a remote button on the keyfob...Seat say it does, but it took them a long while to reply.

I want key operated remote boot opening, but I do not want or need the virtual pedal.

Intended purchase is Xcellence trim.

Many thanks.
Not to my knowledge it doesn't. Pressing the tailgate button on the fob just unlocks the boot so you still need to press the button on the boot itself and lift the tailgate. It's not like a saloon car that generally come with remote boot release

#16 ·
Try to press and hold the tailgate button om your keyfob. At least for me it opens the tailgate fully.

Haven't tried closing the tailgate in the same way as I don't think this will work.

#17 ·
Nate said:
Try to press and hold the tailgate button om your keyfob. At least for me it opens the tailgate fully.

Haven't tried closing the tailgate in the same way as I don't think this will work.
On my car (Sweden spec) you have to hold the button on remote for a few seconds then it opens. To close do the same, but don´t release the button until it is closed.. This works with button inside the car also, the same procedure.

#18 ·
Chrand said:
Nate said:

On my car (Sweden spec) you have to hold the button on remote for a few seconds then it opens. To close do the same, but don´t release the button until it is closed.. This works with button inside the car also, the same procedure.
Surely that's for a powered tailgate? I think the question refers to a standard tailgate.

#19 ·
Yes, my original question is for UK spec car with no virtual boot option, somewhere in the sales literature I had read about the third button on the key fob, to open the boot. But it does not say "unlock" or "open boot lid"!

If I need to add the virtual boot opening option to get an "electric remote opening" boot then I will, but if I can avoid the cost and rely on the standard features then I would obviously be happier.

Thanks for all the help....

#21 ·
I feel as if I should defend the tailgate from detractors :). It is very good.

- you have your hands fully loaded
- don't want them to get messy on the button
- have trouble reaching, dragging or dropping

On the fully loaded, it saves extra journeys in and out to where you are going if you don't want to put anything down in the dirt of streets and gardens. That's the best one. At hotels you can "do it in one" or the final load in from the supermarket. Grab all the bags in both hands do the foot kick, watch it close and head in.

It is a convenience like an extra pair of hands :).

#22 ·
I'm looking forward to the power tailgate and virtual pedal. I frequently come out of pets@home with a 30 litre bag of kitty litter under each arm, and it will be bleedin' marvellous not to have to faff with the boot latch and keyfob or dump a bag of (absorbent) litter on the (wet) ground while loading. Can't wait!

#23 ·
Exactly.... I use to do the cat litter one as well.... but he does staycations now and uses the great outdoors. Sophisticat the oderised one is heavy.

#24 ·
Since I got the virtual pedal fixed (I was one of the faulty few) I have used it quite a lot. My 4 year old has even worked out how to activate it by waving his foot so he can put his school bag in the back by himself! Had to tell him he didn't actually need to kick the car which he did at first, but we got there :lol:

#25 ·
I concur with Tell and find the virtual boot highly useful. It's also pretty much the first thing people want to try when seeing my car for the first time. I use it all the time now even when hands not full :D I believe if you do not have the electric tailgate then the centre boot button on the fob will simply unlock the boot and still require you to heave it up.

#26 ·
It's a shame they don't just do an electric tailgate without the daft foot wiggle think as a cheaper option as I may have gone for that.

On a slightly different note, is it usually a simple job to adjust how high the manual tailgate sits when open? At 5' 1" my girlfriend has to jump to reach it to shut it :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.