Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has already been done,
Have got my first Seat - one of the first Ateca's in 2016.
VERY pleased with the car apart from the Satnav and the attitude of Seat UK.
Two weeks ago, I asked my dealer for a SatNav update - they said thee was none on the system.
I called Seat UK - they called back and said that there was no update available.
I asked them why not, when MapCare was available for all other VAG products except for Seat UK and also when there was an update on the Seat global website for 1115 - when I still officially had 0635.
They did not know and did not care.

So, less than 2 hours ago I emailed the CEO of Seat ES, Luca DeMeo.
I have already received a reply.....

Don't know why you have this problem. We'll try to fix it as soon possible, and we'll come back to you. Sorry for the inconvenience again. Best Regards ldm

Cross fingers we can get this sorted....

And, if you want to email him too (the more the merrier), his email address is here...
https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-8072629

Please do so and ask that Seat UK also support Mapcare.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You have to update it yourself. It's basically just downloading the files and copy and pasting onto the memory card the maps are on in your car. There' more detailed instructions on another post in this forum.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Here's my post on how to do the update, no cost, no Map care, nowt.

A lot of posts have explained the process of doing an update of your cars SatNav card as supplied. I summoned up the courage to try it, Its taken me 2 days to sort this, but I have! Try this,;

Read it first and understand the principles of how this works. Note this assumes Windows is your operating system, VW do show how to for Apple in the link below. Be aware of the 2 systems in Atecas!!

1; Go to SEAT site and download latest map version for your cars infotainment system. https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/nav ... ateca.html I used the 6PO version for my car and "Europe 1" map

Store it on PC on your hard drive for future use. (Create a file called "SEAT Ateca Sat Nav Details)

2; Ensure your SD card from your car is "unlocked" beforehand, check the slider on the side of the card. Put original SD card in PC and "cut and paste" original "maps" file onto hard drive into your "SEAT Ateca" file and call it "Original" just in case you need to reinstall it back onto the card. There will be a file called "maps", this is the program you need to copy. Ensure SD card is empty after transferring off old map.

3; Copy new downloaded maps folder from Ateca folder of PC to SD card completely. Use "7 zip" as below: You will need to download "7zip" onto your PC, then follow these instructional steps below from VW for reference. Be very aware of the unzipping program &zip, its what the maps bundle comes in.

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfo ... 994e464a9f Choose the Golf model 2017 and the "Discover Media" unit. Scroll to the bottom of this page and find "Download Manual PDF! This is really useful!

4; Then crucially, copy from your ORIGINAL map this file this "MAPS/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS" to replace the same file on your SD card with the new update. This means that original data on the original map program is carried over onto the new map program. Without doing this, the new downloaded map will not work, as it is car-specific.

5; Relock the SD card and put in car!

Hope this helps!! As I said, took me 2 days but I eventually got it right. Read these instructions and do the downloads in preparation first and keep a cool head when doing it! I've now got version 1115, coming from version 0820

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello Wiz2003, Stupra and all,
Everytime this issue comes up I make (The same) comments.
It is not for us to find a "work around". It is up to SEAT to provide a reasonable way to update the system. I have been in contact with my dealer and SEAT UK since I bought the car last June and there is currently no way to upgrade the system in the UK, which is a disgrace. I will send a message to the CEO as suggested and see what happens. I am still using my portable Tom Tom which I upgrade every 3 months free, as part of my original purchase price of about £120. Even if we do get an upgrade SD card its supposed to cost about £150 each time! Ludicrous !!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a new Ateca Xperience Lux, purchased last December. I am concerned about map updating because the Proactive Adaptive Cruise Control and the Road Sign Detection System will not work properly without the maps. Once the maps are out of date the Proactive ACC will still work but is liable to act erratically if the shape of a road has changed or the speed limit has changed, so the car becomes potentially dangerous. To make things worse, the car does not have an SD card reader, so downloading maps is not an option. It looks like the only option is to purchase Seat Connect at some ridiculous price. I will be forced to do this if I want the car to be safe to drive. How unacceptable is that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a new Ateca Xperience Lux, purchased last December. I am concerned about map updating because the Proactive Adaptive Cruise Control and the Road Sign Detection System will not work properly without the maps. Once the maps are out of date the Proactive ACC will still work but is liable to act erratically if the shape of a road has changed or the speed limit has changed, so the car becomes potentially dangerous. To make things worse, the car does not have an SD card reader, so downloading maps is not an option. It looks like the only option is to purchase Seat Connect at some ridiculous price. I will be forced to do this if I want the car to be safe to drive. How unacceptable is that?

It would seem that seat are forcing customers to purchase Seat Connect simply because of the design of the car. I do not want or need the maps for myself as I am using Waze as the navigation system and Seat connect services are totally superfluous to my needs. In short I do not want Seat Connect!

I have just written to the MD of Seat UK, but if he is as helpful as the Customer Services, I will have wasted more of my time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The map update process doesn't work if you have the version with the hard drive (SSD) rather than the SD card, despite SEAT's webpage suggesting it does. Luckily, mine appears to have the 2019 map data, but that's going to be the sticking point going forward.

I appreciate we can always use Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, TomTom mobile, or whatever - but that doesn't answer the question of why they are selling/pitching an expensive add-on as a selling point, that needs updates, but has no mechanism to do so by the consumer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been told by the Dealership that updates are normally available twice a year, but require the car to be booked in if the car does not have an SSD card reader. If there is an SSD reader, then new SSD cards can be purchased. This will need to be done twice a year, and I expect that it would be cheaper to purchase the Seat Connect Contract. With the Seat Connect Contract, the map updates are automatically downloaded wirelessly, at least this is the case for my Xperience Lux 2.0 DSG. I know this is true because the maps were automatically updated in December 2020 - I had a complimentary 1-year contract when I bought the car in December 2020.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am pretty sure that my Xperience had an automatic map update in December too. I connect the car to my house wifi and don't use the phone card in the car. I suspect some dealers are unfamiliar with Connect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
MBaker said:
I have a new Ateca Xperience Lux, purchased last December. I am concerned about map updating because the Proactive Adaptive Cruise Control and the Road Sign Detection System will not work properly without the maps. Once the maps are out of date the Proactive ACC will still work but is liable to act erratically if the shape of a road has changed or the speed limit has changed, so the car becomes potentially dangerous.
ACC doesn't use maps/navigation in order to work. It uses car sensors to keep the distance to the obstacle/car in front of your car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_cruise_control

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic-sign_recognition

·
Registered
93 Posts
GregaMB said:
ACC doesn't use maps/navigation in order to work.
I thought that predictive meant that if you had ACC on and entered a speed limit lower than your set speed, the car reduced the speed to that of the limit. Presumably it would use traffic signs and map section speeds to do that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Of course you are correct, ACC does not use map data. However, Proactive (Predictive) ACC does indeed use map data; the car knows that there are junctions, bends, roundabouts etc., puts this information on the screen and adjusts the speed accordingly. To do this the car needs to know where it is, and where it is going if a route is set or where it is likely to go if no route is set.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is taken from a SEAT press kit.

"Predictive Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) can position the compact SUV using GPS data delivered from the navigation system, allowing it to correct its speed depending on the road layout ahead - bends, roundabouts, junctions, speed limits and built-up areas. And using input from the front mounted camera and traffic sign recognition, it can adjust vehicle speed when limits change."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just purchased a second hand Ateca, and not the most technical so please excuse my ignorance...

These threads appear to be about people updating their sat navs. The car I have bought doesnt have a navigation card in the first place. Can I simply download the update from the links above and that will populate the system with the maps? Or do I have to buy a card from a dealer or elsewhere (plenty being sold on ebay for about £25)?

Im probably not going to use it very often as I will use android auto and waze, but useful to have as a back up, so unless its really cheap or free wont bother!

Thank you,

Goat

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's my post on how to do the update, no cost, no Map care, nowt.

A lot of posts have explained the process of doing an update of your cars SatNav card as supplied. I summoned up the courage to try it, Its taken me 2 days to sort this, but I have! Try this,;

Read it first and understand the principles of how this works. Note this assumes Windows is your operating system, VW do show how to for Apple in the link below. Be aware of the 2 systems in Atecas!!

1; Go to SEAT site and download latest map version for your cars infotainment system. https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/nav ... ateca.html I used the 6PO version for my car and "Europe 1" map

Store it on PC on your hard drive for future use. (Create a file called "SEAT Ateca Sat Nav Details)

2; Ensure your SD card from your car is "unlocked" beforehand, check the slider on the side of the card. Put original SD card in PC and "cut and paste" original "maps" file onto hard drive into your "SEAT Ateca" file and call it "Original" just in case you need to reinstall it back onto the card. There will be a file called "maps", this is the program you need to copy. Ensure SD card is empty after transferring off old map.

3; Copy new downloaded maps folder from Ateca folder of PC to SD card completely. Use "7 zip" as below: You will need to download "7zip" onto your PC, then follow these instructional steps below from VW for reference. Be very aware of the unzipping program &zip, its what the maps bundle comes in.

Default Title ... 994e464a9f Choose the Golf model 2017 and the "Discover Media" unit. Scroll to the bottom of this page and find "Download Manual PDF! This is really useful!

4; Then crucially, copy from your ORIGINAL map this file this "MAPS/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS" to replace the same file on your SD card with the new update. This means that original data on the original map program is carried over onto the new map program. Without doing this, the new downloaded map will not work, as it is car-specific.

5; Relock the SD card and put in car!

Hope this helps!! As I said, took me 2 days but I eventually got it right. Read these instructions and do the downloads in preparation first and keep a cool head when doing it! I've now got version 1115, coming from version 0820

We have just followed the instructions above on a 2017 Seat Areca SD card and it worked wonderfully. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
81 Posts
No idea what I'm doing wrong. I successfully updated to 1530 (I think that's the version) in Mar-2020 but for some reason I just cannot get it to work this time. The only maps I can get working on my SD card are the original ones - any attempt to use Seat or VW maps just doesn't work. I've tried safe removal from car and laptop - just no joy. SD cards contains the navigation database message pops up and then it just says navigation database not found on the centre of the screen.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts