Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the privilege of being invited to Millbrook today, as a fleet user who has ordered an Ateca, to take part in the 'Inside Ateca' event. We got to drive several RHD cars on and off road and generally have a good look round the car. The good news is that it's a lovely car in lots of ways. I drove a 2.0 TDI 150 4WD off road, also a 1.4 TSI and 1.6 TDI on road. Such a shame they're not currently bringing the DSG 1.4 TSI to the UK, that engine suits the car well. Not regretting my choice of a 2.0 TDI 150 Xcellence DSG for a second.
The car is well finished, on 18" wheels it rides as well as a Q3. The cabin is roomy and easy to get in and out of. In terms of material quality and panel gaps it's a class above the competitors (they had some there). Visibility is good for this type of vehicle. The boot is well shaped and a good size. Overall a very impressive vehicle, they will have no problem selling these once people start seeing them. The Ateca seems to suit lighter colours better, very pleased I have gone for red :D

·
Registered
979 Posts
Lucky bugger, very very jealous :mrgreen:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I had real problems deciding the colour since the choice isn't that great. I'm hoping I like rhodium grey. Metallic red would have been great but they don't do it. My first car was red non metallic and after 13 years started to get that scrubbed look. Don't want to upset anybody one over the silver, but to me that looked a bit pasty and old fashioned. Seat / Skoda dropped the bronze colour I like, so I'm hoping rhodium grey isn't too dark. I have seen it in that colour. Colour and upholstery is a compromise to me. I found the colour in VW on a Tiguan but then that's not a pretty car but no enforced leather in DSG 4x4. So went for prettiness, handling, compromised the ideal colour and upholstery.

At the time of Fleetworld they didn't have obviously any Ateca's on the road, other cars were spinning around Silverstone. Good too hear that you thought it ran fine on 18" wheels. The R-line that I was looking at also had negative reports on the ride comfort of the even bigger wheels, 20". That was another reason why I stopped looking at it although it has the newer all electronic dash that hasn't as yet made it to Seat. Funny that VW keeps the ugly designs for it's own badged cars. 19" is what I'm having.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Very jelous, im interested to know more about the off roading? Ive gone for exact choice you drove off road and wanted to know what it handled like, responsive or was it hard to judge where the wheels were?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not an off-road expert by any means but will happily give an opinion. The all round camera was good when cresting very steep hills (although I am quite tall so could just see over the front of the bonnet in that situation, some might struggle). The car feels small and is very easy to place. The hill descent control worked brilliantly but it felt odd going 'feet off the pedals'. The same goes for letting it idle its way over obstacles, clever stuff. The engine was never an issue, the clutch was better than the 1.4TSI I tried. It all seemed very controlled and the wheel articulation over the log section seemed to be doing a good job of minimising roll. As a point of note, the cars had been used on that course for nine days with no damage or bits rattling / falling off. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, forgot to add, one of the cars I had a look at was equipped with the 'SEAT sound' system so I had a play. Worth the extra money IMHO, not much different to the Bose system that was fitted to the Q3 demonstrator car I tried.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thats Great cheers i had the Bose sound system in my A3 and its an extra i couldn't live without and the fact that the spare wheel cost was absorbed into it was an added bonus!

I'll be testing the 4Drive when i get it, can't wait to take delivery!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
They are supposed to be Canton speakers used in the Seat sound system which Leon owners rate highly. They put Cantons in Skodas so highly probable they will be these given they are associated with the Leon and they are built on the "Skoda production line" you would have to extract them and look for markings. I just opted for them since I didn't fancy another speaker project. I believe the head end is built by Technisat. I've seen one extracted with Technisat labels, then you have this.

A bit about the Texts Instrument chipset

http://newscenter.ti.com/2016-02-23-Texas-Instruments-Jacinto-processors-power-Volkswagens-MIB-II-infotainment-systems

And this

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.technisat.com/de_DE/Presse/10-10/%3FpressID%3D1175&prev=search

Pretty clear Technisat make the MIB II unit, they are well known for their solid satellite receivers. I didn't know they were into car equipment till I saw one with the Technisat labels on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.