Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two group tests caught my eye this week, for unusual reasons:

- whatcar.com have a Ateca vs Countryman vs Q2 review. Right up my street as I'm considering all three (tho the missus doesn't like the look of the Q2 so that's prob out) BUT page 2 of the review fails to load with a 404 error.... DOH!!! Hopefully will be fixed soon

- Top Gear have a Greatest SUVs feature, but no sign of the Ateca at all?!?! Does anyone have the mag to confirm/ deny and if in, how did it do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
The What Car review failed on me as well. Other odd pages kept cropping up as well.

I test drove the Countryman but it didn't do anything for me. Looked over the Q2 twice but it was too small so didn't bother with a test drive. Two test drives in the Ateca and that was the one. I hope it won the contest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Ateca is not in the SUV greatest article in latest top gear. They have a kodiak instead which covers off the volkswagen group element. They ended up saying the Bentley was the best SUV but openly said it depends what you need!

The Ateca got plenty of press and praise end of last year. Think it won a top gear award for something. Moved on to the latest car models now.

However, the Ateca is currently on a long term car test in top gear mag. Pretty much nothing but positives. I have a post on the forum somewhere where you can read them all, screenshotted from my iPad. I haven't updated with this months yet. If I find the forum link I shall post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Magpie. Weird they pick newer cars, not the best cars. Eg the 3008

Still we can be happy with our cars :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,710 Posts
You have to remember that the Ateca is now old news and it is nearly a year since it was announced and the first road tests were done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah nvm, not that fussed about Top Gear. I ain't got the money for a Bentley nor an F Pace nor any of those others SUV apart from the Pug which is too big anyway for my needs.

Ruddy What Car website still not fixed! grrr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Have to say I like the interior of the pug. Sat in one and seen a few on the roads. Some interesting decisions. May date badly though, would probably tire of its quirks. Not sure on the small wheel or placement of the speedo part above the wheel either. I would say the outside looks are devisive, but at least they are not boring.

Not as smart as the Ateca mind. Wouldn't change mine for anything, aside from sticking a 1.4 engine in it or possibly adding a top view camera. The interior is smart, understated and crazy easy to use.

I wouldn't say the 3008 was much, if any bigger than an Ateca? Maybe I am wrong there. It looks chunkier but maybe that's just styling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,710 Posts
It certainly looks chunkier from the front, but so do many other SUVs. I think the Ateca is probably just as high at the front, but having two distinctly separate grills and an interesting bumper, sump guard design breaks it up really well and makes it look less chunky.

Personally I think the design is brilliant. I tend to judge a car's design by how many bits I don't like. I find it very difficult to find any fault in the design of the Ateca. It would look even better if they had included the lower grill surround, fog light mouldings and the side mouldings as standard rather that charging a ludicrous price for them as accessories. It would have added about £20 cost to the Xcellence trim rather than the 100s of £s I paid for them.

Does anyone else have any other outside bits they would change?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Magpie86 said:
I wouldn't say the 3008 was much, if any bigger than an Ateca? Maybe I am wrong there. It looks chunkier but maybe that's just styling.
The 3008 is 9 cm longer than the Ateca, which itself is already 15 cms longer than my current mk 6 golf. My wife is a bit of a nervous driver and the exterior dimensions really counted hence lots of research here!

What's interesting is that going from a regular hatchback to an SUV is that the corners of the car are so much higher which makes it "feel" like a bigger car than it actually is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fred99 said:
Does anyone else have any other outside bits they would change?
I would have the rear camera hidden under the boot badge and only pop out when needed thus not needing to be cleaned. This I love on my mk6 golf except loads of people keep shouting at me to say my boot badge is open!

A shark fin aerial would be nice too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
kee said:
I would have the rear camera hidden under the boot badge and only pop out when needed thus not needing to be cleaned. This I love on my mk6 golf except loads of people keep shouting at me to say my boot badge is open!

A shark fin aerial would be nice too.
I'll second that. The camera can become useless in wet weather if you've kicked up a lot of spray.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers Etchings, the result was never in doubt haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
The What Car team have fixed it and the Ateca wins by a country mile. Only criticism seems to be the need to pay extra for the height adjustable boot floor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nick Bucks said:
The What Car team have fixed it and the Ateca wins by a country mile. Only criticism seems to be the need to pay extra for the height adjustable boot floor
This "criticism" has come up before, I think it was the carwow youtube test, and it's very reassuring that the thing they pick on something that can be fixed with a £115 option :D In comparison, something simple like lumbar support which is std on the Ateca is vastly more than £115 on the Audi and MINI!

I like to drive premium cars, but Seat treads a nice path of being sufficiently premium, but with more mainstream buying/ running costs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
NeilW said:
kee said:
I would have the rear camera hidden under the boot badge and only pop out when needed thus not needing to be cleaned. This I love on my mk6 golf except loads of people keep shouting at me to say my boot badge is open!

A shark fin aerial would be nice too.
I'll second that. The camera can become useless in wet weather if you've kicked up a lot of spray.
If you're finding that it's a problem getting dirty, next time you encounter this, scoosh the rear window washer - and viola! clean(ish) camera!

Hint: look at the camera housing and you'll see a little nub in the corner - guess what that's for?

I think one of the long term car mag reviewers complained about the camera getting filthy and I don't think they've found this little nicety either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice tip!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
MGDisco said:
NeilW said:
kee said:
I would have the rear camera hidden under the boot badge and only pop out when needed thus not needing to be cleaned. This I love on my mk6 golf except loads of people keep shouting at me to say my boot badge is open!

A shark fin aerial would be nice too.
I'll second that. The camera can become useless in wet weather if you've kicked up a lot of spray.
If you're finding that it's a problem getting dirty, next time you encounter this, scoosh the rear window washer - and viola! clean(ish) camera!

Hint: look at the camera housing and you'll see a little nub in the corner - guess what that's for?

I think one of the long term car mag reviewers complained about the camera getting filthy and I don't think they've found this little nicety either.
Great tip. Tried it this evening before reversing and it works well.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top