Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Wheel Nut Caps

39K views 50 replies 31 participants last post by  CupraR 
#1 ·
Ok so lost a few wheel nut caps recently, and before anyone ask im not a newbie to a pressure washer so i didn't force them them off like that, anyway lost a few so i got some from SEAT at 85p a go. I got a few spares anyway as a few feel loose and they will only end up coming off on a long run.

Part Numbers are as follows:

Standard nut cap: 4MO-601-173-B

Locking nut cap: 4MO-601-173-C

Picture for people who dont know what i mean:
(Taken in the dark before replacements fitted)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Apparently quite common - hasn't yet happened to me, but neighbour who got his black Ateca a few weeks before me has lost several. Think they're a bit too wide in diameter. I gave him some spare money from Audi :lol: :lol:

Keep checking 'em folks ! :D

#4 ·
The new ones fit incredibly snug compared to the ones that came with the car! I have never had this problem before so its incredibly frustrating, especially when they can get the replacements right.

#6 ·
Whilst having my car washed for the first time, I was handed 4 black caps which I had no clue what they were, I asked the man washing my car but he didn't speak English. Anyway, eventually sussed what they were and pushed them back on, checking the others too and they were all loose and had to click them all into place.
I did wonder whether they are man enough for the job and will definitely be checking them at next wash time.

#10 ·
Don't forget to get the low down Saggy on the glove box removal and refitting. They will have a PDF for sure. Use your charms for a copy :).

#11 ·
Saggy said:
Saggy said:
hmmmmmm must take a look ~ I didn't even know I had any :lol:
Still not looked .... ought to when I go in morning about glove box
Feck forgot again and now parked tight on fence one side as visitors coming so cant even see all wheels

My brain is like a sieve at min
Fed up of not feeling right

#13 ·
I have recently lost 3 off one wheel, checked the other wheels and several more were loose.
Contacted my dealer who said replacements were £10+ for 5.
I have now contacted Seat UK to say they (VAG) have a problem with this. It seems some dealers charge a few pence, some give them away
and my dealer charges lots.
Will now wait for there reply.

Tim

#14 ·
Ahtishiwoo said:
Found one on the drive and discovered that 5 more had disappeared. Ordered a new set of chrome ones from ebay for £12.99 rather than claim under warranty. Will make sure they fit properly.
Can you share the link?

#15 ·
I have noticed that retailed wheel nut caps come in two sizes, generally, 17mm and 19mm. Is it simply a matter of 19mm caps, incorrectly, being put on to a 17mm lug nut? I do not know the size of the Ateca's lug nuts, but is it as simple as this?

"Ahtishiwoo ", what chrome wheel nut size did you order please?

#16 ·
I have had problems with the SEAT plastic wheel nut caps for many years. I had an Altea before the Ateca and, if you take it to a car wash, the chemicals they use turn the caps white! I have learnt to take the caps off before a wash and then replace them afterwards. Every so often I push the caps further in as thru driving/vibrations they seem to become loose.

#17 ·
I have been told, by my detailer, not to have an aplication of "shine" at a "hand" car wash owing to the acidic nature of the stuff they use. Better to do the tyre enhancement at home with a quality propietary product (such CarPlan Tyre Slik or Halfords Wet Look Tyre Dressing).
I am disabled so need to use one of these establishments about twice a month or when the car looks shabby, whichever comes first. I am, however, having read your comments, still unaware of the diameter of the lug nuts (17mm or 19mm), for I have seen red silcone rubber caps for both sizes - anyone know please? (n.b. my car is due in 5 weeks' time - it's like watching paint dry).

#18 ·
Today I've lost the first one in 6 months. I think it's because the car has needed less (no) washing over the last month so my normal attention to the wheels hasn't put pressure on the covers. My first new VW car was in 1992 and although not every car has had these, this is the first time I've lost one.

Those I've previously had have all been totally hexagonal with the exception of the locking one. This makes it really easy to separate them quickly. The SEAT ones are all round but have hexagonal internals of course.

I happened to have some spare dark silver ones in my garage with the code 321 601 173 A on them. The SEAT one have 4M0 in place of the 321 i.e. 4M0 601 173.

Aside from colour I think I'll try and replace with the hexagonal ones which might then indicate whether the tolerances on the bolt heads are the problem rather than the plastic covers.

I'll perhaps try the black ones off our Skoda.

#19 ·
Had the Ateca just 1 week and after the first long steady run of 400 mls I had lost 5 nut caps when I parked @ home. Not a great start when parts start to fall off in 1 week !! Reported to the Seat agent who supplied the car and await a reply. Clearly a quality issue with the plastic caps.

#20 ·
Have the same issue - noticed 3 missing the other day, I think it might be car wash, but no sign of them when I returned for a wee look! Anyway, reported this matter to SEAT Customer Services who decided because of the lack of reporting that this was not an issue yet! So, can I encourage all who suffer these losses to report it and we might get somewhere! Can I have an Amen?
PLEASE REPORT THESE INSTANCES TO SEAT CS ON: 0808 522 2222
Thank you kindly

#21 ·
Plusgas said:
Have the same issue - noticed 3 missing the other day, I think it might be car wash, but no sign of them when I returned for a wee look! Anyway, reported this matter to SEAT Customer Services who decided because of the lack of reporting that this was not an issue yet! So, can I encourage all who suffer these losses to report it and we might get somewhere! Can I have an Amen?
Thank you kindly
Somebody at SEAT is telling you rubbish,

I reported this to SEAT ages ago with links to threads on here and the Cupra forum with the same problem.
The told my dealer to give me some spares.
Before this the dealer was trying to charge £10 for 5.
I have since lost all the replacements and have purchased some cheap copy's of Ebay which seem to stay on better.
Just make sure they include the ones for locking wheel nuts aswell.

Tim

#22 ·
I lost a few of mine when i first picked up our Ateca- the dealer via email said they would sort some new ones. When I went in and saw the dealer manager- who i knew from buying our ibiza from he told us that SEAT were aware of it as they had complained about it for ages as it happened across the whole SEAT range.

He replaced mine for free and i got a few spare in case it happened again but to be fair since then none have gone missing - i always suspected it was something to do with the coating on the wheel nuts and they seemed to have a slightly lubricated coating feel to me.

#23 ·
I think part of the problem is that the metal and plastic contract and expand at different rates so the covers feel looser in cold weather in my experience. A softer/tighter plastic could be a solution as they're only cosmetic. Maybe the plastic has changed from the old hexagonal only ones.

#24 ·
Tim The Pines said:
Plusgas said:
Thank you kindly
Somebody at SEAT is telling you rubbish,

I reported this to SEAT ages ago with links to threads on here and the Cupra forum with the same problem.
The told my dealer to give me some spares.
Before this the dealer was trying to charge £10 for 5.
I have since lost all the replacements and have purchased some cheap copy's of Ebay which seem to stay on better.
Just make sure they include the ones for locking wheel nuts aswell.

Tim
Thanks Tim

#25 ·
Very common. I had a load fly off my 65 plate Leon FR when I first got it so had to order a load of replacements. One month into my new Ateca and the same has happened again with this one....all the new replacements seem to fit fine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.