Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the car emergency brake for them yet?

I was driving to the local go outdoors yesterday when some idiot walking down a road with no paths stepped slightly to the right (round a tree on the verge) and the car thought i was going to run them down so decided to chuck the emergency anchor out of the window, dashboard lit up red, beeping frantically, brakes applied ABS going all whilst the chap had stepped back on the verge but turned around to see why i had emergency braked :evil: i was just glad there was no one behind me! It happend so quick im not sure if i dipped the clutch or the car did something to stop it stalling as when it saw it was clear i was released from its terror hold.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
425 Posts
It happened to me coming off the drive when someone walked across in front of me. Took a while to realise what was going on. Slightly unnerving though.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm really not looking forward to driving the car with the thought that this "feature" might activate.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
David you can turn it down or turn it off in the settings but then you wouldn't have it. It hasn't happened to me yet but I'm now looping my bag that carries my tablet over the passenger headrest just in case and the brakes are effective, stuff slides off the leather seats. I'm taking precautions since I heard about it and the seats dumped my stuff on the floor once already under my braking :).

I'm going to leave it on at the minute, normal setting. If when it does come on judge it shouldn't have done, reduce the setting. Magpie has done that already. If it still does it I will turn it off. Bit of a problem thou if it causes an accident in the meantime. It is part of car testing now for those cars with it. May be the mechanism generates too many false positives that don't get picked up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is on the mid setting, think i may need to reduce it to minimum but i dont want to turn off a function which can potentially prevent an accident.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Dunn VAG Happy said:
Mine is on the mid setting, think i may need to reduce it to minimum but i dont want to turn off a function which can potentially prevent an accident.
You can look at it from both points of view. I've got a feeling the system is just as likely to cause an accident as it is to prevent it.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I wonder whether it passes the control tests when they pull dummy pedestrians in front of it but might be too aggressive in the real world. If you did run someone over, would your car get checked out and they would say you turned off a safety feature. I'd tone it down first if I thought it was an issue... so I'm watching and waiting on this one. I did have an incident where I had to slam the brakes on in the old car as someone stuck their nose out back in front of me and I reckon it would have slammed the breaks on, if I hadn't.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Tell said:
I wonder whether it passes the control tests when they pull dummy pedestrians in front of it but might be too aggressive in the real world. If you did run someone over, would your car get checked out and they would say you turned off a safety feature. I'd tone it down first if I thought it was an issue... so I'm watching and waiting on this one. I did have an incident where I had to slam the brakes on in the old car as someone stuck their nose out back in front of me and I reckon it would have slammed the breaks on, if I hadn't.
Tell - it would never make any difference, legally, whether you had an assistance system on or off. The driver is, and remains legally, responsible entirely for the operation of the vehicle - assistance systems are no substitute for that. There may be certain defences or mitigations in law if there is mechanical or other failure as a contributing factor to an accident, if that can be independently proven. This is the biggest challenge with the whole concept of autonomous or semi-autonomous driving; there is a whole legal mine field over responsibility for accidents, and its a while away from being clarified or agreed.....

·
Registered
338 Posts
David, have you selected the Advanced Driving Assistance Pack? If you didn't you won't have the emergency braking assist, so you won't have 'phantom braking' problems.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Leon said:
David, have you selected the Advanced Driving Assistance Pack? If you didn't you won't have the emergency braking assist, so you won't have 'phantom braking' problems.
Not sure about that, Leon. All UK models from the S upwards have this as standard; it's called Front Assist, City Emergency Braking and Pedestrian Protection. It can, however, be switched off, but the default is on when the ignition is on. :D

Page 209 onwards in the use manual.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's standard on all cars in the UK.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hmmmm. I believed it was part of the ACC. I was offered the option for front assist etc, but I did not want it. Anyone confirm this who doesn't have DSG and no driving assist packages? It's certainly not something I want.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
this is what is standard on all specs as I understand it :

FRONT ASSIST & CITY EMERGENCY BRAKING

Always Looking Out

Extra help is always welcome, especially in your day-to-day. That's why Front Assist will warn you if the distance between your car and the one in front is reduced. If there's no reaction from the driver, the Front Assist system will slow the vehicle down.
Pedestrian protection detects crossing pedestrians and automatically activates the brakes.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Stressless City Life
Trust the Ateca to keep you safe. This 5-star Euro NCAP score has been obtained using the new, more severe 2016 test regime which demands vehicles must pass an increased number of tests. Advanced accident prevention systems, such as Front Assist, City Emergency Braking and Pedestrian Recognition systems have been fitted to all versions as standard, and have proven to be highly effective.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well, if it is standard, then I shall be turning it off. I assume that it stays off when you restart the engine?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Yep it is standard and they brag about it. Note what Vag or McDerm said, that the driver is in control and would be held accountable.

Think I'll leave it as is until I fall out with how it works.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm just not happy about increasing the risk of a rear shunt, especially when my 2 year old daughter often occupies one of the back seats.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I would turn it off then or moderate it down which gives you more time to react so it wouldn't kick in but then if they are shadow effects ... possibly a radar term you probably wouldn't break and it would still break. Magpie's turned his down after getting some falses but none that he's reported as slamming the brakes on.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I will reserve judgement on how this operates in practice on the Ateca :D

I will say, however, that our Polo has ACC and essentially the same FCA, Emergency Braking and a Pedestrian Protection system. It has been driven 12,000 miles in the last year and has never once kicked in suddenly or taken over braking directly. It regularly shows the "stage 1 alert" in the dash (same icon as Ateca does) when driving at a speed behind another vehicle at a distance that I know (without the warning) could require some hefty braking to avoid a rear end shunt; but it has never decided to activate.

I think - and I've said in another thread - that the radar unit being higher up on the front of the car may be a factor in how the Ateca operates; its very low down on the Polo.

I understand legitimate concerns and I hope no one finds themselves in an unnecessary emergency braking situation; hopefully no one has a repeat occurrence - but my experience of this is good on a different car and I hope the Ateca doesn't let me down.... :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts