Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....
I was happily shopping in Tesco this afternoon and my registration was called by customer service. I went over, and she said one of their trolley- collecting guys had alerted them that every window on my car was completely down. I went outside, and it was true! Considering I'd been xmas shopping and it was in the car it was a miracle nobody stole anything!
Car is an S.E and doesn't have kessy so I really can't explain it. Not a happy bunny. Will I take it back to dealer to assess? Ateca approx 3 wks old. What would you do?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Make sure you didn't keep your finger on the open button on the fob my old Altea used to open the windows if you held the open button on the romote

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
For what it's worth I don't stuff the keys in my trousers pocket and try to keep the phone away from it. Magpie had Kessy so I'm thinking that is perhaps different although worth noting for Kessy people. I never use the remote apart from alarm off on ferries the rest I do by touch and foot waving not broadcasting the remote data - hopefully. It us all worrying thou.

Fordmax think you should get the dealer to put their box of tricks on it. You never know there may be an update that isn't being talked about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to play with the remote in the morning to Double-check it wasn't me pressing a button by mistake. If the windows stay up, then I'll take it to the dealers for further investigations. Will update tomorrow. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The same thing happened to me once. I mistakenly long pressed the unlock button instead of the lock one. I don't think it's a technical fault.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I did it the day I had mine.. My old ford key the lock/unlock buttons were the other way around... i long pressed thinking i was locking and doing mirrors and walked away..
looked back to see all windows almost fully down... held down the wrong button!!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Seems to be a bit of a design fault then....

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wouldn't say it is a design fault Tell. Vauxhall's do it as well. I find it useful if you have forgotten to wind your windows up on a hot day! That said, my colleague had his keys in his trouser pocket at the office and managed to obviously long press the "unlock" button and came back to find all of his windows fully down, even though we were sat on the opposite side of the office from where he was parked and we were on the 4th floor!
It is probably just something we should be aware of. :geek:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I'm working on the basis that nobody would have their windows set up for summer at the minute. Magpie didn't. I can see if you have lock / open to configure as you last had the windows fine but when the windows go off and do something else that's a design fault. That's like the memory area is corrupted so when an unlock is activated it reads that memory and produces rubbish. Programmers call these leaky programmes if it's the program writing into the area that it shouldn't be doing and corrupting it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have played with the keys. If you hold the 'doors open' button for a few seconds, all the windows come fully down ( I often hold the 'doors closed' button for a few seconds to make the mirrors turn in).
I can only assume I was pressing the wrong end of the car buttons because without looking it's easy to make a mistake whilst rushing around at this time of year.
In case anyone else else does this by mistake, holding the 'doors closed' button for a few extra seconds shuts all the windows. Probably a handy feature in the summer, less so in the winter!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I think you can switch it off in the car settings

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Page 127 of the manual

Convenience opening/closing

Use the convenience opening/closing func-
tion to easily open/close all the windows and
the sliding/tilting sunroof* from the outside.

Convenience open function

- Press and hold button  on the remote
control key until all the windows and the
sliding/tilting sunroof* have reached the
desired position, or

- First unlock the vehicle using button  on
the remote control key and then keep the
key in the driver door lock until all the win-
dows and the sliding/tilting sunroof* have
reached the required position.

Convenience close function

- Press and hold button  on the remote
control key until all the windows and the
sliding/tilting sunroof* are closed ››› , or

- Keep the key in the driver door in the "lock"
position until all the windows and the slid-
ing/tilting sunroof* are closed.

Programming convenience opening in the
Easy Connect*

- Select: function button CAR > control but-
ton Vehicle systems* > Vehicle set-
tings > Central locking > Open the
window by holding button down or
else > Front window on/off or else
Roof on/off*.

WARNING
● Take care when closing the sliding/tilting
sunroof* and windows. There is a risk of suf-
fering injury.
● For safety reasons, you should only use the
remote control open and close functions with-
in about 2 metres of the vehicle. To avoid in-
juries, always keep an eye on the windows
and the sliding/tilting sunroof* when press-
ing the button to close them. The windows
stop moving as soon as the button is re-
leased.
So question is what is the cars set up showing?.

We also know the manual isn't right on the sunroof that isn't closed on the button now for safety reasons.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Tell

you have a car go and look yourself ...... ;)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
It's cold and dark Saggy... tomorrow be OK. Was after Fordmax to check his settings.

I thought it memorised where you last had your windows and went down to that. I know I had a fiddle with it, but I'll turn it off if I have it toggled on. It's too risky.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Easy Connect*

Roof on/off
Been out to the car, another place where the manual is at variance to what is on the car's menu. I trust nobody found that wording on their car's system. may be Kessey cars have a different menu text, wouldn't have thought so.

There are options to turn things off but not as documented. Decided to leave alone since I don't have this problem.

My previous note is if you wish to use the key fod buttons you know the alarm is set if you see the passenger light side flashing red after locking. Use to find with my old Altea it was easy enough to fumble the buttons to make the central locking click but that was door open not close, flashing offside front door indicator means alarm set and obviously if mirrors fold in on closing it's locked. If Kessey touch is better on all of this and just put the keys in a secure uncompressed pocket, bag etc.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
manual points you in the right direction and then its pretty easy to work it out once in the menus even though not exactly worded as your post

says something like convenience opening and toggle on/off in there

it really isn't rocket science ............... not the end of the world the manual isn't quite right :)

mine is off
may switch back on in the summer

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I couldn't be bothered disturbing things that were fine, but the manual is a work of fantasy at times. I was going to photograph the screen but decided against it. I expect rocket science to be built into the car, not the manual telling you incorrect stuff. I make it three now, the non existent internal alarm button off, the non existent reversing mirror down option and this one....

I can only think people have very tight pockets where they put their keys. I think Magpie's issue was a clear electronic fault. I think if you got Kessey forgetting the double click when you got animals inside it or ferry rides, better to do it on touch, saves key fod fumbling in the dark, frees up the hands etc - got it use it type of thing. You also got the satisfaction that you aren't broadcasting the lock codes which are encrypted but suppose to be hacked.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Saturday's Telegraph Honest John motoring pages has this Q&A from a reader, sounds familiar

Winding down

Q On several occasions I have found the windows of my car halfway down. It seems I inadvertently put pressure on the fob when it's in my pocket, which has unlocked the car and lowered the windows. Is it possible to have this feature disabled? NS

A You can get your VW dealer to disable the "global opening" function of your keyfobs.
This is where the manual and the car's screens are at variance. A Google of 'VW Convenience Opening' brings up the VW page which tallies with the Ateca menu and not what is in the manual.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/glossary/convenient-open-close-function

Convenient Open-Close Function

When you lock or unlock your car from the driver's or front passenger's side, the side windows can be opened or closed at the same time. Press and hold down the open or close button on the remote control and all the windows (including the electric sunroof) respond. When you release the button the process stops. This also happens if you turn the key to unlock in the door and hold it there. The windows are closed when you turn and hold the key in the close position. Releasing the key stops the process.
Manual:

Easy Connect*

Roof on/off
Car screen below.... so yes, the car follows the VW wording and just cross out the flight of fantasy wording shown in the quotes above. First option on the menu to change.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts