Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some of you younger more technology savvy people answer something please?

Wireless charging pad

iPhone in NON charging case

Can it sit there with no problem and without getting the gubbins scrambled?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Yes that would be me young.... you would think so, play your cards right and they might mis build it for you :).

You would think it senses that it's got something to charge then goes into charging mode... now where are the youngsters... Magpie et al don't connect their iPhones in that way since you can't use wireless if you wantb to integrate the phone into the car's system, so they have been your guinea pigs since they have got the car. They I guess have been tossing their phones onto the mat with the USB plugged in and not using wireless charging. For me I got a bigger flat area :).

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
iPhones don't have wireless charging so I can't see a problem. I doubt if the charger senses a compatible unit, it just bangs out the inductive stuff anyway. It's not a new system, electric toothbrushes have been using it for years.

What is not clear is whether the USB sockets provide a charging current, if they did, and you assume that you would always be plugged in to use Car Play, you wouldn't need a wireless charger anyway. If it doesn't provide a charging current, then wireless charging would be useful (if your phone supports it) as the battery will go down pretty fast if it is plugged into Car Play. The USB socket on my Leon seems to have a tiny current that will keep my Satnav running, but it won't charge the phone.

The one thing you must not do is put your credit cards anywhere near it which could be a problem if you have a phone case with your cards slotted in.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The USB definitely charges while plugged in.

Don't think there is any issues with leaving the phone on the charging mat, mine hasn't shown any ill effects from lying there anyway, either plugged in or not.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brill

thanks

I inted plugging it in with my rose gold usb cable ;)

I just didn't want to fry it is it sat there

thanks for info about bank card .............. my bank manager would probably love it if I disabled them though :mrgreen:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Saggy said:
rose gold
New designer label ?.

On power it's whether it puts out 1 amp or 2 amp. Most smartphones nowadays require 2 amp so you would expect the USB to support 2 amps. If so you wouldn't have a power issue. The manual doesn't say.

Satnav is power hungry Freddie so I would suspect your Leon delivers 1amp. I'll leave this one open, my Samsung tablet changes the charger icon colour to red if you try to charge it with a 1 amp charger, it trickle charges, but not fast charging. I will check. It has been bothering me for a bit whether I had seen the red icon when I had it plugged in.

Magpie I suspect is running the phone's navigation software and pumping out music. Anyhow Saggy will be fixed on R4 and using the cars satnav so she shouldn't have a power problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Really daft question, but why not invest in a QI receiver for your phone?

I got one for my Samsung from Amazon for about £5 - there are some on there for iPhones too. It means that I can just chuck my phone on the pad to charge in its normal gel case. No faffing around in the dark with cables anymore !

I find the USB cable sticks out slightly from the end of the phone and gets knocked easily when changing gear, but I only use it with Android Auto or Mirrorlink now anyway.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi foxy

I did look but small hands and phone big enough as it is without adding to it with a bigger case :)

Ps I won't be changing gear ;-)

Edit - you didn't say case - you said something else

Off to google lol

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Oh look Saggy has replied and isn't on Black Friday shoppjng.... have my reply that was on snap.

When this has come up people say that you can't use the iPhone connected with Full link since the USB is in use. Saggy has an iPhone and DSG so won't be knocking the cable when changing gear. Others pontificate that they have got to go wireless in the house so can't be bothered. They miss built my car so it's not an option for me.

Edit you sort him out ;).

In other news I can't find that button that cuts the sensors on the alarm, had every door open and no sign if it. Suggest you ask the dealer unless I'm looking in the wrong place or because it's a Kessey it's on the car's menu rather than a button ?... perhaps.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello again

Been and googled and as Tell says I'd have to get a charger pad for the house and work etc

I'll stay as I am so :)

I've got a short cable ready :)

Tell - I'll ask about the alarm at the dealers.
I'll add it to my notes I've started writing ready

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ps Tell - did my Black Friday shop earlier for a dash can and clothes lol

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
door pillar near seat and seat belt from looks picture??

Hi Dougie :)

I bought it from the apple shop when I got my new 6 the other week ~ it's rose gold and matches my phone :oops:
it's 6 inches

·
Registered
425 Posts
Saggy said:

I bought it from the apple shop when I got my new 6 the other week ~ it's rose gold and matches my phone :oops:
it's 6 inches
6 inches? That really is a short one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dougie said:
Saggy said:

it's 6 inches
6 inches? That really is a short one! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
you have a longer one?

I thought 6" was adequate for the set up in the car ;)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dougie said:
Saggy said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
you have a longer one?

I thought 6" was adequate for the set up in the car ;)
Mine's long and thin which would be no good at all in the car :lol: :lol: :lol:
would have to coil it up :shock:

6" and thick ~ it's braided as Tell keeps telling me braided is best

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
You got a braided one, good choice. The end doesn't drop off and can withstand a tom cat grabbing it in his paws and biting hard. Dougie says outch.

I looked round the lower seat belt area and nothing. I wouldn't be surprised that it's a Xcellence / First Edition thing that it isn't there unless I can't see it for looking. I don't so, think it's an undocumented feature of the Kessey system that it's not there but handled differently.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmmmm I'll have to get it sorted and besides me with dogs people need to know how for ferries !!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.