Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a budget, is XC 1.4TSI worth going for than XC 2.0TDI?

Initially we were looking at DSG 2.0 TDI 150hp (FWD) because my wife wanted an automatic. Now that Seat has no announcement yet on the A/T XC FWD, it's either of the two now. With the TSI you can get more upgrades than the TDI.

Is TSI a good deal in terms of performance?

Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well my mrs is getting 48mpg - 50mpg on her daily commute in ours (town driving and the ringroad which can be slow or fast depending on time of day). Then on a long run on a weekend we are getting 58mpg (best average from start i have seen so far). Now it pulls like a train in normal driver profile and the times i have had it in sport its really impressed me, handles really well on twisty country roads, a recent run over the moors was great fun and put a big smile on my face. Bearing in mind im trying to break the car in gently so have been avoiding top revs as much as possible too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good Dunn. So you have the 4WD tdi M/T? That's what we test drive here and it does have good power. However I was trying to weigh to go with TSI where we can add more options with almost the same price as standard XC 4wD Manual. Just worried about the reviews I saw on the Leon, VW jetta etc, that uses this engine. About some noise and cold start issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've owned a Leon FR since new for the last 3 years with the 1.4 TSI engine and it has been absolutely faultless. I only do around 10k miles a year so wouldn't make sense me going for a diesel, plus I've been more than happy with the 1.4 TSI in the Leon.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I have a Leon 1.4Tsi at present. I have tested the 1.4Tsi and the 150 Tdi 4Drive. I found the Tsi to be just as good as the Tdi and it actually felt quicker and more responsive, probably because it is much lighter than the Tdi. Handling was good on both, slightly better on the Tsi again due to the weight difference. The Tdi clearly has more torque, but it's not really noticeable, especially as you are more inclined to drop down a gear in the Tsi as it revs so freely. Handling on both is exceptional for an SUV, only marginally less good than the Leon.

The Tsi is much quieter than the Tdi. Like Spaceonwhite, my Leon has been 100% reliable in the 3 years I have had it. Personally, I think the 1.4ACT is one of the best small engines from any manufacturer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@spaceonwhite and Fred99 thanks for the feedback. Will take note of your feedback.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Boy_kotong said:
That's good Dunn. So you have the 4WD tdi M/T? That's what we test drive here and it does have good power. However I was trying to weigh to go with TSI where we can add more options with almost the same price as standard XC 4wD Manual. Just worried about the reviews I saw on the Leon, VW jetta etc, that uses this engine. About some noise and cold start issues.
Possibly the diesel v the petrol clan putting pollution to one side. You can go up the TDI190 and get DSG, that lifts the power above the 1.4TSI when I was doing the power to ratio of Freddie petrol 1.4 TSI 2WD DSG again the 2 litre TDI190 4WD DSG. The consumption of the 190 isn't too different to the 150 if you don't drive it hard.

4WD Ateca's have better rear suspension than 2WD.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Tell said:
Boy_kotong said:
4WD Ateca's have better rear suspension than 2WD.
True, but I have yet to read a road test where anyone found the difference significant. There was much discussion about this on the Leon forums as the FR had it but the others didn't. The general opinion was that it made no difference, it was the fact that the FR had larger brakes that was more significant. They are all the same on the Ateca.

·
Registered
165 Posts
No cold start issues or noise, we had a frost the over morning and started just fine as would have been expected. I havent tried the 1.4 so cant comment on that engine. Suppose what moeny you save on cost of the engine you can then spend on those extras. It was a no brainier for me as i wanted 4Drive and a manual so thats where i ended up.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Another crazy SEAT UK decision. In Spain you can have a 1.4 4 Drive alongside the 1.4 DSG

·
Registered
47 Posts
I must say I had the 1.4tsi 150ps in my last car - audi a3. I loved it so much that I went straight for it in the Ateca no hesitation. Plus the fact I don't do a lot of mileage.
In my last car the combined book figure for mpg was 60mpg and I got nowhere near that. I was only getting about 40-42mpg even with sensible driving.
I noticed in the ateca brochure the combined for the same 1.4 was 52mpg quoted which I assumed was because it was a lot bigger car with more weight. I did think this would again be an over estimation and not very real world. Well let me tell you I'm running the car in with sensible driving and I got 52-55mpg no bother on motorway/A roads. Even about town I am getting 48mpg. I actually worked it out from my first tank of fuel and mileage that I averaged 49mpg. I actually can't believe it. They have improved the engine even more over the years and getting that from a petrol is impressive in my opinion. I must also say it feels a lot smoother than my old 1.4 and pulls away a lot better as well.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Fred99 said:
Another crazy SEAT UK decision. In Spain you can have a 1.4 4 Drive alongside the 1.4 DSG
I wondered whether it was all part of a cunning plan to offer a big engined petrol so held back. Then we have the leather nonsense on the Xcellence.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Atecaim said:
Well let me tell you I'm running the car in with sensible driving and I got 52-55mpg no bother on motorway/A roads. Even about town I am getting 48mpg. I actually worked it out from my first tank of fuel and mileage that I averaged 49mpg. I actually can't believe it. They have improved the engine even more over the years and getting that from a petrol is impressive in my opinion. I must also say it feels a lot smoother than my old 1.4 and pulls away a lot better as well.
Wow that's great. Will just would like to wait for the updated quote. New rate of PCP just announced here in Ireland. And finally approval from my commander-in-chief (my wife) :).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Boy_kotong Wow that's great. Will just would like to wait for the updated quote. New rate of PCP just announced here in Ireland. And finally approval from my commander-in-chief (my wife) :).[/quote said:
glad you know your place ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally decided on TDI XC, but DSG 2WD. I know it's not yet available but willing to wait till it's possible release July 2017. Provided deposit and signed the order form.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.