Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi David

I don't know where you live, but City Seat in Basingstoke, Hampshire have a 4Drive DSG as a demonstrator. We took it out a week ago and ended up ordering one in Lava Blue with a few extras. They only allowed us a short drive but it was before the official launch so test drives might be a bit longer now.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I don't think there are any in Essex but you could try Colchester way if Essex, Harlow and Southend don't have any. 4WD TDI150 are common. For that reason I've never tested what I ordered in July. Ruth I did pick up eco for motorway motoring today, normal for in town. Personal settings when you break apart the component parts. Standard speakers sounded good.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Snow for one, which is the main reason why I'm doing it. Plan to move into the country side in the life time of the car and don't want to get stuck. Also better holding on muddy roads.

I've been driving a DSG Altea for nearly 12 years. The DSG is fine, but on snow it's looses traction on slight inclines. You won't get that with a 4WD. It isn't the DSG doing it, but you can in the 2WD release traction control to stop it messing about. That's a traction control thing.

I have sneaking suspicion that a 2WD DSG Ateca wouldn't have behaved like my Altea, perhaps less power in 150....haven't done the sums, but wouldn't have fixed the snow issue. There is a band of anti 4WD people that say, no, 4WD isn't the solution, deflate the tyres, snow chains and blah, blah, blah. You see that in the Telegraph motoring pages. Where my brother use to live he was stranded in his village till the 4x4 owners cut a path out and with wear it melted and you could get out with a 2WD. Don't want to be in that position myself. I'm country boy that moved to London, but I'm doing what the monied types do that live in the country when I make my return.

DSGs are wonderful things at saving arm ache by constant changing up and down. On the M25 and M1 round here they are a joy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for that. I dont think snow is an issue for me as I am London based and any snow is usually short lived. I dont do a lot of miles so the petrol would be more sensible, but I really want DSG so am very restricted in choice.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Id say diesel is your better option given weight of the car and if you are doing more miles, 4 Drive which is the 4WD system on the Ateca is not to be confused with the abilities of say a landrover for off road capabilities after all it is specified by Seat that its not an off roader but that wont be stopping me doing a bit of easy green lanes (no big ruts) :D but as Tell rightly points out it will perform better in testing conditions especially snow, mud or country lanes lacking tarmac.

The one advantage of this system compared to an actual 4x4 off roader is that much like the VW 4motion the car can distribute the power evenly and in the corners to improve on the road traction say at speed or whilst in sport mode on country roads. The main advantage to the driver profile is this easy configuration.

Just remember you will still need to change your driving style for winter and off road conditions, having the Ateca 4Drive system and tackling snow will still require careful driving especially when in something other than a manual. Ive had a few 4x4s in the past personally; SJ, Sport track, Vitara, then Nivaras, Hilux, L200s and now an Amarok at work, etc all off road prepped and when it snowed unless i had enough weight over the back axle you could sometimes find the back end wanting to overtake the front. Just please remember 4WD does not make you invinsible

·
Registered
42 Posts
We are also going for a 4x4 due to living in the countryside. When we had all that bad snow a few years ago it was a godsend, especially when trying to get up icy hills!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Yeah. I nearly got stranded at my brothers house after he died on the second visit, day two of sorting it out. It started snowing, settling, consulted the villagers and decided better get back out quick. One road in, one road out, up a big hill with a bend and the church at the top. That's when you need the virtual foot pedal on house clearances as you stagger in and out with n'th many boxes with your hands full.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Ruth has. It's a fairly new engine as I understand it, they were not going into the Tiguans until September, but then it's identical to the TDI150 except it delivers more power. Could be just vapour ware in that review, all diesels clatter at low revs. Probably written by those petrolheads.

Whatever they say about the running of the TDI 190 v 150 on the Tiguan in terms of noise and power will be the same. It just pumps out more power but you can get the same consumption out of the TDI150 as the 190 if you drive it the same according to the VW salesman who gave me the speel. So I'd have a look at those to get a steer. Basically Seat decided you needed the extra power for 4x4 DSG although in the Tiguan you can get it with a 150 option.

(if anybody saw me retype this, I should stay off line till I recover from the opticians induced eye dilation :x )

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the info. I should really ignore these comments a some can be very petty. Before I got my Leon I read comments that the wind noise off of the wing mirrors was a nuisance. In reality you can hardly notice it.

There seems to be some disagreement about the 0-62 figures for the Diesel Atecas, I have seen the 190 quoted as 7.5 secs and also 8.5 secs. The 150 is quoted as 8.5 secs

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes as Tell said, we've driven one briefly. We actually thought that it was reasonably refined. It's certainly a lot quieter than my 140 TDI Yeti. It was also very quick and responsive - we loved it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.