Tyre brand of your Ateca

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
tobydog

Re: Tyre brand of your Ateca

Post by tobydog » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Isn't Falken owned by Continental?

I've not got my Ateca yet but I've already enquired with Michelin about fitting Cross Climates. I have them on my current car and they are excellent all round. I'm not a fan of Bridgestone and the Turanza reviews for wet and winter aren't great. I'm also not a fan of all manufacturers fitting all new cars with summer tyres. These days All Season tyres should be an option. Unfortunately Michelin don't have any plans to produce the Cross Climate in the Xcellence size which I believe is 215/50/R18. Pants!!
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Excellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Bagheera

Post by Bagheera » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Golfmk56 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:23 pm
Bagheera wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:19 pm
:shock: So far I'm the only one with an almost unknown brand...
'
Falken tyres - an unknown brand? :o

Have you seen the customer reviews from one of UK's leading online suppliers?

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brand ... AllReviews
Though my English is quite well, some of my comments may not be considered as "British" enough, considering my "location". :D
Despite the width of the tyre market here in Turkey, Falken is not a well known brand. People choose Pirellis, Michelins, Contis, Goodyears, Hankooks, Bstones, etc, however, Falken is quite unknown. I'll consider your link as a source of brief information. :)
1.4 TSI DSG Style - Nevada White, with Panoramic Sunroof, Front Assist, Style Pack, Virtual Pedal, Electric Boot Lid.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:57 pm

Bagheera wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:37 pm
I'll consider your link as a source of brief information. :)
'
It was exactly the same here in the UK a few years ago. Hankook, Kumho, Falken etc were laughed at... the only reason being they were cheaper than Michelin and Continental. Then the penny began to drop and in many cases, the tyres were actually BETTER than the expensive brands. And now you'll find prices are much closer.

I think a few folk may get a surprise when they come to replace tyres on their Ateca - those 18" tyres come in a rather awkward size 215/50/18. Those Bridgestones are a very ordinary tyre, IMO they might be one of the reasons fuel consumption is slightly disappointing on the Ateca. But they are VERY expensive to replace !!!

My previous three cars came with Michelin from the factory and they have all put me off Michelin for good. My VW Golf was supplied with Hankook tyres which were every bit as good and cheaper to buy. When I replaced Michelins on my last two cars, as well as being quieter, I noticed a substantial differnece in fuel consumption - that's because the Hankook's ( for the sizes I bought ) additionally benefitted from a lower rolling resistence.

Bagheera

Post by Bagheera » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Golfmk56 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:57 pm
Bagheera wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:37 pm
I'll consider your link as a source of brief information. :)
'
It was exactly the same here in the UK a few years ago. Hankook, Kumho, Falken etc were laughed at... the only reason being they were cheaper than Michelin and Continental. Then the penny began to drop and in many cases, the tyres were actually BETTER than the expensive brands. And now you'll find prices are much closer.

I think a few folk may get a surprise when they come to replace tyres on their Ateca - those 18" tyres come in a rather awkward size 215/50/18. Those Bridgestones are a very ordinary tyre, IMO they might be one of the reasons fuel consumption is slightly disappointing on the Ateca. But they are VERY expensive to replace !!!

My previous three cars came with Michelin from the factory and they have all put me off Michelin for good. My VW Golf was supplied with Hankook tyres which were every bit as good and cheaper to buy. When I replaced Michelins on my last two cars, as well as being quieter, I noticed a substantial differnece in fuel consumption - that's because the Hankook's ( for the sizes I bought ) additionally benefitted from a lower rolling resistence.
You have a point about brand perception. When things go ear-to-ear, prejudgements perish, however, this takes time.
When I checked the link, I noticed most people appraised it. But, if you follow some German auto magazines, you always see the same brands on top. And they claim or make us believe the results make "reference".
1.4 TSI DSG Style - Nevada White, with Panoramic Sunroof, Front Assist, Style Pack, Virtual Pedal, Electric Boot Lid.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:50 pm

Golfmk56 wrote:

I think a few folk may get a surprise when they come to replace tyres on their Ateca - those 18" tyres come in a rather awkward size 215/50/18.
Presumably, as they are such an "odd" size, maybe that is reflected in the price. I wonder what the situation is with other similar SUVs. Maybe as more and more are on the road, the options and hence price may get more favourable.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

David1972

Post by David1972 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:29 pm

Falken Ziex I've run before...a very good tyre
On order with lease company 11/05/17; original projected delivery date 15/10/17; now 30/11/17 :x - 1.4TSI DSG Excellence in Lava Blue, Heated Windscreen, Double Boot Floor

LMose

Post by LMose » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:47 pm

19" Continental summer tyres and 18" Dunlop winter tyres in Denmark
Ateca Excellence 1.4 TSI DSG, Mato Brown, 19" Exclusive Machine, Seat sound, Wireless Charger, Top view Camera, Full Link, Electric Towbar with foot wiggle + Alcantara seats!!

jamesiow

Post by jamesiow » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:53 pm

Fred99 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:50 pm
Golfmk56 wrote:

I think a few folk may get a surprise when they come to replace tyres on their Ateca - those 18" tyres come in a rather awkward size 215/50/18.
Presumably, as they are such an "odd" size, maybe that is reflected in the price. I wonder what the situation is with other similar SUVs. Maybe as more and more are on the road, the options and hence price may get more favourable.
I think a lot of car makers now are going down this route of 'bespoke' tyre size, i know the new Renault Scenic runs on 20", yes that's right 20"! And only 1 make now and this seem the case with my new SEAT!
ATECA SE 1.0 Technology, Petrol, Manual, Samoa Orange, Park Assist, Convenience Pack, Top view camera with rear view camera, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal & Keyless Entry.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:33 pm

jamesiow wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:53 pm
Fred99 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:50 pm
Golfmk56 wrote:

I think a lot of car makers now are going down this route of 'bespoke' tyre size, i know the new Renault Scenic runs on 20", yes that's right 20"! And only 1 make now and this seem the case with my new SEAT!
'
james is right. The car my Ateca replaced was common size tyres, as is the Tucson a family member just purchased. As sceptical as ever, my money is on a tyre manufacturer supplying tyres to the manufacturer at silly prices, perhaps free, or to follow the business model example of Mike O'Leary (Ryanair), have the product manufacturer pay SEAT to advertise their tyres.

Without going to the very cheap low quality brands, I think 18" tyres for the Ateca start around £140. It's only 215/50/18 which is quite narrow for 18". Go slightly wider 225/50/18 or more low profile 215/45/18 and prices start to tumble. Blackcircles are advertising the 18"Bridgestones on our Ateca's at just under £200 fitted :o

mcderms

Post by mcderms » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:01 pm

Fred99 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:20 am
I have Bridgestone Turanza T001 on 18" wheels. I am happy with them.
Same as Fred99 - Bridgestone Turanza tyres on UK Excellence standard fir 18" wheels - more than happy with them :D
2.0 TDi Xcellence 4Drive; Rodium Grey; 18" Alloys; ACC; Parking Assist; Heated Windscreen; Driving Assist Pack 2 and Space Saver Spare.

Return to “Faults & Technical”