TRIM ADHESION

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Welshman

TRIM ADHESION

Post by Welshman » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:57 am

I have had my Ateca for 5 days now and the styling pack is beginning to come adrift from the body. I warned the dealership of the problems of adhesion to the textured plastic, but it appears that those warnings were ignored. The textured plastic is infamous for resisting adhesion so a bonding agent or activator is necessary to ensure a good bond. Such activators need to be left for a period to be effective when bonding trim to textured plastic; evidently, this was not done as prescribed and the trim is, therefore, coming away from the body.

If you are have an exterior styling pack as an added extra, warn the dealership of this problem and get assurances that it will be done. I did, but it still was not done as requested. The car is now going back in a fortnight for two days to be done properly.

Fred99

Re: TRIM ADHESION

Post by Fred99 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:54 am

One of my side trims was lifting slightly at the front. A spot of Superglue fixed it.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

pch

Post by pch » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:34 pm

Personally I don't like adhesives on any elements and on bodywork on particular.

I had some problems in the past with some body lines on Skoda Felicia... Super glue did the job but I wasn't happy.

On ateca I bought a key covers (seen on my profile badge) and it was delivered way before the car. They were delivered with self-adhesive tapes already applied but also with two sachets of alcohol wipe and 'glue activator' or something like that. On the printed seat manual they recommended to wipe/rub for at least x minutes (I can remember exactly but it was something like 5 or 10) so I was rubbing with a stopwatch for advised time. Shortly before this (like 1-2 minutes before) the original key became very sticky - even sticking to my fingers - then I pushed hard for another minute then applied the cover.

It sits properly for 10 months now but this make me thinking if someone is in hurry and didn't applied the correct procedure then self-adhesive tape may not work properly. You cannot see what is happening in the garage but they are usually too busy to rub one plastic element for 10 minutes....

Grahamn

Post by Grahamn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:28 pm

Has anyone had a trim problem with the standard wheel arch black plastic trim?

I noticed early on that the trim isn't snug on the RHS rear door and rear quarter, with it lifting slightly either side of the rear edge of that door.

When mentioned to the dealer they aid it was "within tolerance". It hasn't got any worse (yet) so am not minded to pursue any remedial work but it does act as a bit of a water trap in the gap between trim and the door skin.

Return to “Faults & Technical”