Reading out text messages

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
stupra

Reading out text messages

Post by stupra » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:46 pm

Hello,

I thought I'd read that the Seat Media system could read out new phone text messages when they came in? I had my Samsung S7 Edge conceded via bluetooth and a message came in and a small envelope symbol came up on the display near the battery symbol but no audio.
Is there a setting I need to adjust or, does it only function when the phones connected with a usb cable?
SEAT Ateca SE Technology in Rodium Grey with Convenience pack. Build week 37, delivery 12th Oct 17.

3 Alteas, an Exeo ST and a Leon Cupra K1 (slightly modified!) all gone but not forgotten.

jackbauer

Re: Reading out text messages

Post by jackbauer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:04 pm

I don’t think this function works on Bluetooth alone. I have an iPhone and the function to read text messages happens only if it’s connected via USB and using Apple Carplay. I would guess the same goes for Android Auto and Samsung.

If you’re using the radio function for example and you receive a text message it switches to Apple Carplay and the option to play the text message is displayed for a few seconds at the top of the screen.
Driving - 1.0 SE Technology in Rodium Grey with top view camera, tinted windows, convenience pack and LED/ambient lighting pack. Ordered May 2017. Delivered 2nd September 2017.

AlasdairMac

Post by AlasdairMac » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:54 pm

jackbauer: you're correct, this function will only work when your phone is connected by USB.
Ateca 2.0 TDi 190 Xcellence DSG 4Drive Sunroof, Black.

Ghiggz

Post by Ghiggz » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:51 pm

I mainly use whatsapp with everyone, which always reads messages and allow you to voice reply as well... when plugged in..
cant remember the last actual text i sent or received.... !!!
Silver Ateca SE 1.6tdi

jackbauer

Post by jackbauer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:56 pm

Ghiggz wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:51 pm
I mainly use whatsapp with everyone, which always reads messages and allow you to voice reply as well... when plugged in..
Except if you use an iPhone/Apple Carplay :lol: :lol:
Driving - 1.0 SE Technology in Rodium Grey with top view camera, tinted windows, convenience pack and LED/ambient lighting pack. Ordered May 2017. Delivered 2nd September 2017.

Randomgary

Post by Randomgary » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:03 pm

Ghiggz wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:51 pm
I must remember not to use my personal account with work colleagues in the car!!!!!
Xcellence 1.4 DSG in Rhodium Grey, virtual cockpit, heated windscreen and Xcellence pack with 5 year warranty. Ordered early Dec. Collected 22nd March

pch

Post by pch » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:57 pm

You can read text on screen using bluetooth but this method is not as intuitive. When received - go to phone screen and tap in the corner (I cannot remember which one) to see inbox. Tap on the message and it will appear on screen.

There is no option to read it out loud for you by car by default. You have to use some Android Auto / Carplay tricks for that.

Bedlam

Post by Bedlam » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:04 pm

If you are driving you should not be trying to read text messge, it's a major distraction
Ateca 2.0 TDi Xcellence DSG 4Drive in Black, 19" Exclusive Wheels, Top View Camera, Park Assist, Virtual Tailgate Pedal, Heated Windscreen

pch

Post by pch » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:11 pm

Bedlam wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:04 pm
If you are driving you should not be trying to read text messge, it's a major distraction
True, but it's always up to driver when to read... Driver has to decide whether it's safe now or not.
There is no enforcement when it can be read.
Same like with radio, typing address onto satnav etc...

And IMHO it's always a bit safer to read on the media screen than on the phone. At least police may have not notice that :oops:

Bedlam

Post by Bedlam » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:53 pm

Well I would not agree with you there.......................... the reason:
I picked up a Ateca Excellance an 1.5 hours from home.......was an ex demo, 3 Months old
I unfortunately suffered an undiagnosed fracture of my pelvis several says before picking my Ateca up, due to a fall at home.....but could walk OK but with breathlessness (I am an old bloke with mild COPD)
Stopped twice on the drive 1.5 hour back, after 20 minites and one hour.
The next thing I vaguely remember is being cut out of my 3 hour owned Ateca
Being put into an Air Ambulance and flown to hospital
Being told, by my brother, I was put into an induced coma, as I was 50/50% survival, for 10 days and remaining in intensive care for a further 18 days, had a lung drained, and on a ventilator, with tracheostomy, spinal injuries, oxygen feed, fed by nose for 8 weeks, further intensive care for 10 days at my local hospital, not allowed to put weight on my feet for a total of 12 weeks.......although (as far as I can recall) no fault of my own...............I am sure that somehow I lost consciousness (no I didn't fall asleep I was 5 mins from home)..............and for some icing I have been charged with Driving Without Due Care & Attention and passed a DVLA imposed Medical Inspection with my GP (after 40 odd years driving),
So quite a traumatic past 6 months really
So...................be careful out there people..............
Ateca 2.0 TDi Xcellence DSG 4Drive in Black, 19" Exclusive Wheels, Top View Camera, Park Assist, Virtual Tailgate Pedal, Heated Windscreen

Return to “Faults & Technical”