Diesel Particulate Filter on 2.0 SE Tech

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Rae9911

Diesel Particulate Filter on 2.0 SE Tech

Post by Rae9911 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:25 pm

I picked up my 2.0 diesel 1 week today and last night the Diesel Particulate Filter warning light has come on. I have looked it up on in the manual and I took the car for a run down the ring road lunchtime to try and burn the particulates off.

The issue is that the warning light is still on, do I try and take the car out again or go back to the dealership?

Has anyone else had any issue with this filter on diesel engines? :cry:
Ordered Ateca SE Technology 2.0 TDI 4drive 150PS, Privacy Glass, Reverse Camera, Convenience Pack & Towbar pre-installation with hook.
Ordered 27/04/2018.
Build Week 24
Delivery: 18/07/2018

Samsonite

Re: Diesel Particulate Filter on 2.0 SE Tech

Post by Samsonite » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:10 pm

What's the mileage on your car? Consider you only recieved it on 18th July I can't be that much unless you tool one mammoth trip this week!

It's unlikely at your mileage that a dpf would become.clogged up enough to trigger a warning.

I suspect a fault but only way to tell is book into dealer

Silvertouran

Post by Silvertouran » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:27 pm

Remember if you take it for a run keep it in say 4th gear on the motorway instead of 6th for a good few miles. The engine has to be revving quite high to burn it off.

Mill

Post by Mill » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:41 pm

You need to keep the revs at 3000/3500 rpm for at least 10 miles, preferably more, but for only a week the DPF should not clog, the worst kind of driving for a DPF is town driving and short stop start runs
Ateca Xcellence 2.0 Diesel 4 drive Magic Black

matthab

Post by matthab » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:41 pm

Are you doing short trips? I have seen it on when the car never got up to temp within a couple of weeks.

Take it for a long blast making sure it gets up to temp and if it doesnt go off take it in. A VCDS dongle will give you the current soot readings or a fault code.

I really wish car manufactures would give more information on the DPF like soot level or regen status within the MFD.
Seat Ateca 1.5tsi DSG Xcellence Lux Black Magic

Grahamn

Post by Grahamn » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:05 am

No problems at all in mine since new - March 2017. I do a lot of short runs with a long run every month or two.

From the owners manual:

"Facilitate the automatic filter cleaning process by driving in the following manner: drive
for approximately 15 minutes at a minimum
speed of 60 km/h (37 mph) in 4th or 5th gear
(automatic gearbox: gear S). Maintain the engine speed at approximately 2,000 rpm. The
rise in temperature causes the soot on the filter to burn. On completion of the cleaning
the warning lamp will switch off."

So no high revs required, 2,000 RPM is sufficient for around 15 minutes.

If it persists, I suspect it may be an problem with the sensor / warning light rather than a clogged filter, so worth getting the dealer to check.

Jettabout

Post by Jettabout » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:49 am

Never even had the warning light come on yet the cleaning has happened anyway, probable about 4/5 times over 3500 miles. We do some short journeys but most of those are about 6 miles up a duel carriageway to the highest new town in Scotland so it does get good and hot, Other times it's a longer trip on the motorway and again never had the light on but have noticed the change in revs at tickover indicating the cleaning has been going on.
Dave.
2019 Ateca SE Tech 2.0ltr Tdi, Rodium grey, now with spare wheel, mudflaps, boot liner but still loving it...

peterrandall

Post by peterrandall » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:51 pm

I thank everyone who responded to my post. The car has resolved the issue for me. I hadn’t known that petrol engines can be fitted with particulate filters. There is no mention in the manual. One longish run rather than the short ones I’ve done since the service would have done the trick. Essentially the engine is instructed to run hot until the petrol particulate is burned off the filter. Once done fuel consumption returned to normal.