Timing belt broken

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
kemppes2x

Timing belt broken

Post by kemppes2x » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:20 am

Around a week ago I did have heard some metallic sound from a running engine that worried me. Because of that I reserved service time from a local Ateca dealer/service and avoided driving. When driving closer to that service, suddenly my car lost all power. Engine stopped working. I stopped on the shoulder of the highway and car had to be towed into service hall. Experts figured out that Timing belt had been broken and also some of the intake valves also had been broken.

Any warning lights never appeared. Not even when timing belt already broken. When broken, car did not cycle the starting engine ie. did not run (It's obvious now that running engine would make even more damage). Nothing (oil or water) leaked out of the engine.

Specs: Around 85 000 miles driven, Ateca TDI 2.0 150hp 4wd with manual transmission, 2017. Warranty exists and heard yesterday that changing broken parts (parts and the job) are covered with the warranty.

Timing belt went broken some 2/3 of the suggested changing interval.
Anybody have had the same issue?

Ciano

Re: Timing belt broken

Post by Ciano » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:14 pm

Same thing happened to me with previous car, metallic sound, gingerly drove to dealer, it snapped on the way.
Water pump had collapsed.

Timing belt failure on interference engines is almost always bad news.
Good news that you are covered.
Bent valves / rods / skimming heads is a costly repair.

The interval on timing belt renewal makes me wonder whether it is not prudent to replace well before, say 70 - 80K miles.

Rory

Post by Rory » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:48 pm

kemppes2x wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:20 am
Specs: Around 85 000 miles driven, Ateca TDI 2.0 150hp 4wd with manual transmission, 2017. Warranty exists.....
You'd hope SEAT would cover it anyway, but in the UK the warranty is limited to 60,000 miles. On what basis is yours covered?

The water pumps do seem to be a weakness on this engine - EA288.

Just had the belt and pump changed on our Tiguan as it was 5yrs old - really grated to have to spend £500 as it's only done 25K miles and the belts are supposed to good for 210,000kms. But your story makes me feel a little better about it.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

kemppes2x

Post by kemppes2x » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:28 am

I have a Seat warranty card (paper) where's: "Warranty is valid for 5 years or 150 000 kms, depending which one reached first. " But reasons coming from outside of the car or if missused are not covered.
I quess this larger kms- limit is only for these earlier Atecas in certain countries. But anyway this warranty card was in a major role earlier for me, when choosing which car to buy. Lets just hope that warranty really covers all cost, not only in recent conversations in service station, but also when I get my car back. . and grr.. Have to be atleast 2 more weeks without my car :-(

Rory

Post by Rory » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:48 am

Ah, thanks. We paid extra for a 5yr warranty on ours and that takes it to 90K miles (144,000kms, so they probably round it up to 150K) - it was only an extra £400 so seemed like a no-brainer.

I don't know if it happens in other countries but in the UK all the VAG brands say the cambelt should be changed at 5yrs - I notice SEAT UK are unique in warranting the job for 5yrs.

I wouldn't expect you to have any issues. Have you got a loan car? I'd be annoyed if not.

kemppes2x

Post by kemppes2x » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:58 am

I got a loan car for a few days, but no more. Waiting time is already long and if delayd, I will ask a free loan car for sure. Good tip from Rory, I'll ask about warranting the job when I get my car back.

kemppes2x

Post by kemppes2x » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:40 am

I got my Ateca back after waiting it some 5 weeks to be repaired. They changed whole cylinder head including all parts in it and also timing belt parts. Total costs about 6000€. I paid 300€, only replacing the unbroken water pump and yearly condition check of the whole car (prerequisite of warranty continuing).
Lets hope that was all the big issues for a while.

During that repairing I had several loan cars and they were free of charge for me.

Rory

Post by Rory » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:18 pm

They're very mean these car companies - they advise replacing the water pump anyway when the belt is changed so you'd think they'd cover the cost bearing in mind the inconvenience caused by the belt breaking.