Auto handbrake sticking

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
jimbrimble

Auto handbrake sticking

Post by jimbrimble » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Has anyone had a problem with the auto handbrake sticking? Only had the car for one day, but if I leave the auto brake on, the car really struggles to pull away. I now have to use manual handbrake all the time.
Ateca Xcellence, 1.4TSi, Lava Blue, too poor to get any options...
Collected from dealer on April 8th. Have been hooning around in it ever since.

Kindness71

Re: Auto handbrake sticking

Post by Kindness71 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:09 pm

jimbrimble wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:44 pm
Has anyone had a problem with the auto handbrake sticking? Only had the car for one day, but if I leave the auto brake on, the car really struggles to pull away. I now have to use manual handbrake all the time.
Nah just takes a bit of getting used to ;) You sure your not trying to move with a door open, as it wont budge if there is? That threw me when I first got it and thought it was a fault :D
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI, Samoa Orange on order (11th August), Build week (52), Picked up (22nd Jan) 18", Heated Windscreen, Seat sound system, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal, Double floor

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:17 pm

Never had this problem. I don't even notice whether it is on or not. I just nudge the throttle and it's off, but mine is DSG which might make a difference.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

Tell

Post by Tell » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:23 pm

Never tried to move with the doors open you get a message.

I think the DSG way of it working is the home way of it working, designed around an automatic, manual gears sticks, well. It's only been on a manual rental where it was an issue, all automatics it's been fine.

Hesitate to say there are adjustments for how it works and I guess a garage if pressed would make those adjustments via VCDS.
Ateca Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, Rodium Grey, 19", Heated Windscreen, Navigation Plus, Seat sound, Panoramic roof, Xcellence Pack, Adv Comfort & Driving pack - on the road

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:33 pm

jimbrimble wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:44 pm
Have to say, out of all the cars I've drive with an electronic park brake, the Ateca is the best. It really has been 'Set and forget'.

Not sure how the Ateca is set up, but do you have your seatbelt fastened when driving away? T'was a safety feature in my old Golf. That said, there were reports of problems in early mk7 Golf's with autohold. Seem to remember there being a software fix but that's unlikely with the Ateca given I haven't read of any other issues. Faulty switch perhaps?

jimbrimble

Post by jimbrimble » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:39 pm

No, it really is sticking. It was fine yesterday, but today it's actually stalling before it will pull away. And you can hear some nasty brake crunching noise.

Lcchull

Post by Lcchull » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:40 pm

:lol: I found the auto brake hard to get used to at first could get to grips not putting a handbrake on when I parked up. Live it now it's so easy biggest problem I have Is when I go to Spain and hire a car I end it with them following me as I forget the handbrake !
1.6se technology ecomotive Samoa orange ( The Satsuma) on the road 16/12/16 ;)

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:46 pm

jimbrimble wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:39 pm
No, it really is sticking. It was fine yesterday, but today it's actually stalling before it will pull away. And you can hear some nasty brake crunching noise.
Definitely sounds like visit to dealership needed.

jimbrimble

Post by jimbrimble » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks for this, that explains my issue exactly. And the answers were illuminating to say the least. What's interesting is how many people do not actually know how the auto-braking setup works even when they think they do.

Anyway, took it to the dealer this morning, needless to say the issue has completely resolved itself for the time being, which was a tad embarrassing. The chap suggested that it could be related to brake disc corrosion, which actually made sense. You can see a bit of corrosion on the discs, probably from the transportation of the car before I got it.

But it's now working exactly as it should, so hopefully it was a temporary mechanical / sensor thing.

Return to “Faults & Technical”