Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Windscreen replacement - Which one?

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Jonny 
#1 ·
A tiny crack in our windscreen is now a massive crack across the drivers side so we need a replacement. :shock:

Autoglass, although helpful seem unable to confirm which screen they need to bring out to fit to the car.

We have an Xcellence with heated screen option. As far as I can make out from the paperwork / car and Seat website is that there is also a rain and light sensor. We don't have the 360 deg cameras or lane assist. Autoglass seem to be struggling in that they think because the car is a MY2017 then it should have an ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance System) camera as well.

Is anyone able to assist in confirming that the Xcellence only has to light and rain sensor as standard? They are aware of the heated screen option.

Thanks

Radders

#2 ·
errr... If Autoglass don't know, shouldn't they be talking to SEAT? I'm afraid folk on here will only give you their best guess.

Xcellence doesn't have Driver Assist as standard, but that's not to say the windscreen can't accommodate it.

Have you seen the other thread about a replacement windscreen with heating element? Hope your replacement goes more smoothly than Jonny experienced.

https://www.atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1322

#4 ·
Radders89 said:
Yes I have had a read through that thread. What a nightmare! Autoglass have informed me that they will make some enquiries (possibly with Seat I guess) and get to back to me.
Good luck with getting the replacement! It took them about 3 weeks to source me an OEM windscreen and then incorrectly fitted it! The second replacement windscreen was only fitted 3 weeks ago!

Autoglass had to speak to SEAT UK who assisted them sourcing the correct windscreen and helped speed up the process.

Getting the cameras calibrated in the windscreen is the biggest farce ever (sounds like you won't have to experience this!). Anyway my car is going to a SEAT dealer (not the one I purchased my car from as they wouldn't help me!) next week who are going to take it to a Skoda dealership that has the equipment to calibrate windscreens along with some SEAT computers! Apparently it's going to be a 2 day process and cost around £500! :roll:

#5 ·
Radders89 said:
A tiny crack in our windscreen is now a massive crack across the drivers side so we need a replacement. :shock
I wonder if the Ateca windscreen is more fragile than other vehicle windscreens as my chip was also tiny and cracked while being repaired by Autoglass into a large crack even though it was in the repairable area?!!

As I do quite a lot of traveling on motorways, over the years I have experienced small chips in previous vehicle windscreens and they've always been repaired easily or left alone and never cracked off!

Just seems to be a bit of a coincidence that two tiny chips have resulted in full windscreen replacements! :oops:

#6 ·
Jonny said:
As I do quite a lot of traveling on motorways, over the years I have experienced small chips in previous vehicle windscreens and they've always been repaired easily or left alone and never cracked off!

Just seems to be a bit of a coincidence that two tiny chips have resulted in full windscreen replacements! :oops:
'
It's called lady luck... it happens with all laminated screens, just depends how bad the initial impact is and the rake the windscreen. Had this happen to me on a Ford some years ago and just happened to my friends van.

#7 ·
Jonny said:
Radders89 said:
Yes I have had a read through that thread. What a nightmare! Autoglass have informed me that they will make some enquiries (possibly with Seat I guess) and get to back to me.
Good luck with getting the replacement! It took them about 3 weeks to source me an OEM windscreen and then incorrectly fitted it! The second replacement windscreen was only fitted 3 weeks ago!

Autoglass had to speak to SEAT UK who assisted them sourcing the correct windscreen and helped speed up the process.

Getting the cameras calibrated in the windscreen is the biggest farce ever (sounds like you won't have to experience this!). Anyway my car is going to a SEAT dealer (not the one I purchased my car from as they wouldn't help me!) next week who are going to take it to a Skoda dealership that has the equipment to calibrate windscreens along with some SEAT computers! Apparently it's going to be a 2 day process and cost around £500! :roll:
Hope that's covered under the windscreen cover on insurance

#8 ·
Nikkijamie said:
Jonny said:
Radders89 said:

Hope that's covered under the windscreen cover on insurance
Yes fortunately it's all covered under my £75 windscreen excess, that I didn't have to pay because of Autoglass 's incompetence (and a bit more for the inconvenience!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.