Water pouring into boot after rain

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Piranhi

Water pouring into boot after rain

Post by Piranhi » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:40 am

Hey,

I can't find any other topics in the forum about this, so I wonder if it's a problem specific to my car.

When it's been raining quite heavily, if we open the boot we get lets of rain water coming out the left hand side (image attached) which pours into the boot. It's not a small amount of water either.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers,
Chris

tobydog

Re: Water pouring into boot after rain

Post by tobydog » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Not experienced this myself yet, however, my Audi A3 had a design flaw whereby water that collected on the rear screen and along the bottom of the window seal would all pour into the boot as soon as the hatch was lifted. The same happens on many new cars these days where manufacturers have removed roof rain gullies. On a very wet but newly polished 2017 Mini (our other car) water can pour in when the drivers door is opened and you sit down because there isn't an indentation in the roof just above the door like there is on the Ateca. Is the water actually inside the boot lid itself or simply running off the outside of the lid?
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

DSG4WD

Post by DSG4WD » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Definitely have not had this. In fact, I'm particularly pleased at the way water does not enter the boot compared to my previous Yeti.
Lava blue Excellence 190 DSG 4WD with heated windscreen, park assist, spare wheel, top view camera, adaptive cruise control and boot organiser nets.

TrophyJem

Post by TrophyJem » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:14 pm

That doesn't sound right at all. Especially if it's coming out of the plastic trim that you have circled.
Ateca Xcellence 1.4TSI in Nevada white.
Order date 6 March 2017. Build week, was week 19 then week 28, then confirmed for week 18.
Built Friday 28th April (week 17) - Shipped from Emden 9th May - Collected 19th May :D

haggeka

Post by haggeka » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:40 pm

Hi. I have experienced same issue offside (see previous post) & was shocked when my local dealer highlighted water was ingressing through cracks in light unit! Vehicle was weeks old & there was no impact to that area to my knowledge therefore strongly suspect I took delivery of vehicle without noticing damage. I'm currently trying to resolve this with Seat Customer Service.

Piranhi

Post by Piranhi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:10 am

Thanks for the replies.

I think the water is somehow getting inside the hatch.

I'll have to speak with Seat about it. We've had the car since March and noticed it the first time in about April/May. We've had no impacts or car damage either, and as nobody else has this issue then I assume it's been a problem with our car since we picked it up.

Cheers,
Chris

haggeka

Post by haggeka » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi Chris
Have you had a chance to inspect your light yet? Like yourself, the first I was aware of any issue was with water running into boot when lid opened. It didn't occur to me that water could be getting in through a cracked light at that point, just assumed a channelling issue. Would you be kind enough to let me know if cause is the same as myself as I've only been able to negotiate a 50% goodwill contribution from Seat however if same issue is affecting several customers then it strengthens our case. Thanks, Karen

Piranhi

Post by Piranhi » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:09 am

Hey,

Yeah there are no cracks on the light and we've had no impacts.

When we took the panel off there seems to be some small hole. Worryingly where the water is there are a lot of wires too. We've told JCT600 (where we bought our Ateca) and they're going to get the car booked in to take a look.

In their words:
"It may be that we need to run a leak test? There may be a seal that isn’t fitted correctly or worked loose?"

Cheers,
Chris

haggeka

Post by haggeka » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Thanks for the update Chris, all the best getting things sorted soon with your vehicle
Karen

Richardbenton#86

Post by Richardbenton#86 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:13 pm

Hi, did you ever fix this problem, I have the same issue on a 2019 ateca, water coming in from that extact location. It pools in spare wheel well but the boot carpet isn't wet so I don't know where it comes in from.

IMG_20191208_123714.jpg

IMG_20191208_123718.jpg