Some issues (drivers window, burning clutch)

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Carty80

Some issues (drivers window, burning clutch)

Post by Carty80 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:32 pm

I've had my 1.0 Ateca for 6 months now and overall I'm "quite" pleased with the experience; however, I'm going to book the car into the dealership to rectify/investigate a couple if issues:

The one issue that should be an easy fix is the drivers window. Whenever I try to close it, as soon as it rises to it's fully closed position it automatically opens halfway 😡. I've managed to get the window closed by closing it 'bit-by-bit' and have left it that way until I get the car to the dealers.

I'm also experiencing difficulties with a potential burning clutch. Admittedly I appreciate this could be down to my driving style but I've never had such issue with any previous cars (and I've put some substantial mileage on numerous cars over the last 20 years). I like to think I'm quite gentle on the clutch, but on many occasion when pulling away, especially when on an incline I notice the pongy clutch smell....I'm going to mention this to the dealership to take a look just in case there is a fault.

Just thought I'd post to see if anyone else is experiencing any issues with their clutch?
1.0 TSI SE Nevada White

tobydog

Re: Some issues (drivers window, burning clutch)

Post by tobydog » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:46 am

I remember that there have been a few issues relating to windows posted on here. Opening fully on their own, noisy motors, etc. This one is new. Hopefully easy fix at the dealer.

The clutch issue is odd. Like many, I have put many hundreds of thousands of miles on the clock in many cars but have never had an issue with a clutch. In the Ateca I also thought the chance is even less likely due to the excellent Auto handbrake. Pulling away on any incline is still like pulling away on the flat. If you do some Googling you'll find several articles on what could be to blame. Might be worth getting a good defence together because driving style will likely be the first accusation from the garage. Parts failure in the early days is not uncommon.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

NeilW

Post by NeilW » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:05 am

I think the window will be a sensor issue. After cases on entrapment the windows are meant to bounce back if they stop other than at the top or when instructed. I suspect it's slightly out of alignment and is getting to the top before it thinks it has.
1.4 Excellence in Rodium Grey with mud flaps. Collected 21st Jan 2017.

Carty80

Post by Carty80 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Exactly, should be even less chance of burning the clutch with the auto hand brake, so (embarrassed faced) think it may be as a result of something I'm doing.
It won't do any harm mentioning the issue to the dealership just in case there is some fault (misalignment if that's even possible?). I've been mindful of the clutch issue for a while now so have tried to be as gentle with the clutch as much as possible, but still on occasion notice the clutch burning smell.
May not be related, but there is an occasional clunking sound when selecting reverse gear 😳
1.0 TSI SE Nevada White

Tet70

Post by Tet70 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:22 am

Carty80 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:32 pm
The one issue that should be an easy fix is the drivers window. Whenever I try to close it, as soon as it rises to it's fully closed position it automatically opens halfway 😡. I've managed to get the window closed by closing it 'bit-by-bit' and have left it that way until I get the car to the dealers.
Have you used the auto close or manual, it should not bounce back on manual? When you pull the lever to the first notch, it closes only as long as you keep it on that position, as soon as you release it the window stops. When you pull the lever all the way to the end it engages the auto close, you can then release the lever and it keeps closing all the way (or at least it should be).

When using the auto close mode, there is this protection as NeilW described. But it should not activate if you use the manual closing. If you get the window closed all the way with manual mode, then you can calibrate the auto closing function. At this point, pull the lever all the way up, keep it there for 2 seconds, then release it. Now push the lever down to open the window all the way and then repeat the calibration procedure again: release the lever, push it all the way down again and keep it there for 2 seconds, then release it. Now both upper and lower limits should be calibrated, check if it still bounces back when closing.
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

Mesci

Post by Mesci » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi, I've had my ateca 3 days now and just had to pull off the road due to an overheated clutch (smell and smoke coming from bonnet). I'd been in a traffic jam for about 15-20 minutes, and the RAC gut says it's got a high biting point and because of the automatic handbrake I might have been riding the clutch.

Having driven numerous cars over 25 years, one to over 140k miles I've never had a problem with clutch wear with my driving style. But I guess this car must have a very sensitive clutch??

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:08 pm

Wow... doesn't sound right though does it? I'm inferring that it's a manual - have you spoken to the dealer to get it checked out?

You would have thought if it was, as you put it, a sensitive clutch others would have complained bitterly but I haven't really seen that.
Now driving: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed built week 26&27&28, arrived in UK week 30 - Collected 1st Sept 8-)

L4ng3rs2017

Post by L4ng3rs2017 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:15 am

Yesterday I also started having issues with my clutch (Car is 3 weeks old).

I was stopped on an incline with the auto brake enabled, but when I came off the clutch to pull away in first it was as if there was no power, the car started to choke and roll backwards. Very strong burnt clutch smell followed.

This happened twice yesterday, both times coming within an inch of hitting the car behind (I had to get out and check the second time as it was so close).

Without a manual parking brake it was really scary because as soon as you start to lift off the clutch the brake (parking brake and auto brake) disengages.

My clutch now appears to make a noise when I change gear (particularly up from 2nd to 3rd). I’m going to get the dealer to look at it but a bit concerned as the clutch is always something that people say is just down to driving style. Hoping they can find a fault with the auto brake system so that I can clearly show it’s not my fault.
Ateca SE Technology 1.4 EcoTSI manual 2018 | Mediterranean Blue | Park Assist | Top View Camera | Space Saver Spare Wheel
Ordered 13/05/17, Built week 25, Arrived at the dealer 30/06/17.

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:03 am

Could be a bad batch of gear boxes and/or clutches - VW group have had problems before (just look at the continuing saga of the gearbox for the VW Up! to see what I mean).

As with all things, cars are mechanical and things will break either very early on, or after a long duration when they've worn out. For both your and Mesci's problem, if it was a faulty / sticking auto-hold you'd almost expect it every time. Also, if it was the brakes holding you back then you should hear the strain/creaking from the wheels/brake assemblies as the car engine works to pull off (bit like when you were a learner and forgot to release the handbrake). You say that the brakes actually release and it rolls, which implies that the gear is not fully engaged so my suspicion lies with the clutch / gearbox. :ugeek:

:idea: Regarding your concern about driving style breaking the clutch, unless you've driven thousands of miles within the four weeks you've had the car then it's impossible to argue it was your fault. How? Yes, driving style may lead to a shorter lifespan but a month is NOT acceptable. Besides, if they wanted to go down that route of suggesting your fault how can they prove it? To blithely say "it failed early so it must be your fault" is meaningless. The age of the vehicle is far too low here to suggest that. I don't think you'll have to go down that path though.

Good luck and let us know how you get on - I genuinely feel for ya :cry:
Now driving: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed built week 26&27&28, arrived in UK week 30 - Collected 1st Sept 8-)

Tet70

Post by Tet70 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:30 am

L4ng3rs2017 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:15 am
Without a manual parking brake it was really scary because as soon as you start to lift off the clutch the brake (parking brake and auto brake) disengages.
You can actually pull and hold the parking brake switch, and it should stay on even when lifting the clutch. It will disengage when you release the switch.
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

Return to “Faults & Technical”