Suspension problem

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
DanishAteca

Suspension problem

Post by DanishAteca » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Dear Ateca drivers

I have had my Ateca for 1 year. If the road is not smooth this is transmitted instantly to my body, the suspension does not absorp bumps etc. As a result I get pains in my lower back even from small trips in the car, if the road has not been smooth. So I consider selling the car again. I have not had back problems before, my former car was a peugeot 307 sw. My wheels are 16 inch, fitted with michelin crossclimate tires, comfort air pressure. I have asked Seat if it is possible to fit some softer dampers, they say no.
In all other respects I am happy with the car. Any suggestions?
Seat Ateca 1,0 TSI Ecomotive

NeilW

Re: Suspension problem

Post by NeilW » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:59 pm

It's rare, but have a look at the suspension springs to see if the transport blocks got left in by mistake.
1.4 Excellence in Rodium Grey with mud flaps. Collected 21st Jan 2017.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:56 pm

Suspension setup won't suit everyone but for maxium comfort you have the best wheels size and if running at correct pressure, one of the best tyres on the car.

Only thing I can suggest is to take a test drive in another Ateca to make sure the problem is with the model and not you're actual car. If you're still not comfortable driving the demonstrator then I guess you have two options - sell your car or change the suspension yourself. Unless there is a problem with the suspension on the car you purchased, it would be unreasonable to ask SEAT to change it for you as they don't custom build cars to individual requirements. Or rather they don't do it for free! ;)

DanishAteca

Post by DanishAteca » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:51 pm

Thank you very much for your advice. I would like to change the suspension myself - and pay for it - by installing some softer suspension springs. But Seat advices against it, they say the warranty wont cover, if I change the suspension.

fujixpro

Post by fujixpro » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:52 pm

HI,

I have the excellence model with 19 inch rims, the Ateca is set up with a stiff suspension and this does not suit everbody, I came from a VW Tiguan and I thought I was being battered to bits and do agree with where you are coming from, I had test driven the car on good roads and it was perfection but when my car arrived and I hit the first piece of crappy roads that we have hundreds of in Scotland I thought OMG what have I done, but a year on you would have to rip my arms off for me to give up the beast, what with its AWD, Sports mode, eco mode, and whatever else I truly enjoy the way the car sticks to the winding country road where I stay also its handling in the Snow/rain etc is remarkable, but if your not a Happy Bunny see if you can update to another vehicle, good luck.

Regards

FUJIXPRO.

DanishAteca

Post by DanishAteca » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:13 pm

19 inch rims should give an ever harder ride then my 16 inch wheels. I dont know what to do, some days I think the car is great, other days I am really annoyed by the bumpy ride. I will lose a lot of money if I sell the car now after only one year and 10000 km, in Denmark cars are taxed with 180 pct!

MBM

Post by MBM » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:45 pm

DanishAteca wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:13 pm
19 inch rims should give an ever harder ride then my 16 inch wheels. I dont know what to do, some days I think the car is great, other days I am really annoyed by the bumpy ride. I will lose a lot of money if I sell the car now after only one year and 10000 km, in Denmark cars are taxed with 180 pct!
On the other side.. the ateca has so long delivery. This could actually benefit you if you choose to sell
Rhodium Grey, 1.4 DSG, Virtual cockpit, adaptive cruise control, navigation etc. 19"
Denmark.

DavidP

Post by DavidP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:42 pm

DanishAteca wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:51 pm
Thank you very much for your advice. I would like to change the suspension myself - and pay for it - by installing some softer suspension springs. But Seat advices against it, they say the warranty wont cover, if I change the suspension.
You may also invalidate your insurance cover by changing the suspension setup.
XCELLENCE 2.0 TDI 4Drive 150 Manual
Reflex Silver, Spare Wheel, SEAT Sound, Virtual Pedal, ACC
Delivered July 2017

atecaowner1982

Post by atecaowner1982 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:00 pm

I get a headache from having my brain rattled around inside my head. The UK's roads are unforgiving of cars with hard suspension. Which makes me think that car reviewers look for something different from me. They're probably more interested in how it handles over winding country roads than I am, given I'm never on them. I drive around a city, and occasionally on a motorway. I had read about the firm suspension, but that it was adequate for a family car. But now the Karoq wins all the plaudits as it is generally more smooth and comfortable. I wish I'd just waited and got one of those. If I ever get the chance to tear about a winding country road, I'll probably appreciate the suspension more - but given I'm not really one for doing that, I should have probably bought a more comfortable car. Oh well. I like how big the boot is, and how the steering wheel feels. There's lots of legroom in the rear, although the back seats are quite shallow to exaggerate this. And the horn is great. My last car (a Fabia) had a horn that was embarrassing to use. This one is far more like it, a proper solid blast - I use it daily. You need a good horn living where I do.

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Out of interest, which engine / spec do you have? Also, how many miles have you done? The car will loosen up.

Rather than thinking you may have made the wrong decision and driving yourself nuts not knowing, why don't you just test drive a Karoq and find out. If it's more comfy overall then so be it. It's what you're expecting. If it's hardly any different in the real world, then things aren't so bad after all. You brain will continue to be liquidised in the Ateca but it might have happened in a Karoq as well :lol:
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Excellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Return to “Faults & Technical”