Stuck towing eye

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Kindness71

Stuck towing eye

Post by Kindness71 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:41 am

Ok I have a new problem. On new years eve I decided to park on some grass across the road so the family could park outside. Guess what after the rain I got stuck and couldn't get the bloody car off the grass/mud :shock: I tried everything including jacking the car up and putting carpet and proper unstuck board things under the wheels :( Anyway to get to the point I got the car off in the end by screwing on the front tow eye and got my son to tow me off. Great you think but now the friggin towing eye is stuck on :oops: I found it extremely hard putting it on in the first place and followed the instructions in the manual to use wheel brace to tighten it but not overly. Tried removing using wheel brace and 4 ft metal pipe but just wont come off. Any ideas???
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI, Samoa Orange on order (11th August), Build week (52), Picked up (22nd Jan) 18", Heated Windscreen, Seat sound system, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal, Double floor

Tet70

Re: Stuck towing eye

Post by Tet70 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:37 am

^ Maybe a stupid answer, but are you sure you are turning to correct direction? It has left-handed thread.
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

Kindness71

Post by Kindness71 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:40 am

Tet70 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:37 am
^ Maybe a stupid answer, but are you sure you are turning to correct direction? It has left-handed thread.
Bugger really, so turn right to unloosen, you sure? I could have sworn I tightened it turning it to the right when I put it on :oops: :oops: :oops:
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI, Samoa Orange on order (11th August), Build week (52), Picked up (22nd Jan) 18", Heated Windscreen, Seat sound system, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal, Double floor

sads45

Post by sads45 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:56 am

I was surprised to read this, so I have just checked my towing eye and it is definitely a left-hand thread.
I wonder why?
Ateca 1.4 Excellence DSG, Lava Blue, electric tailgate, double boot floor, towbar, black alcantara

Tet70

Post by Tet70 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:18 am

sads45 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:56 am
I was surprised to read this, so I have just checked my towing eye and it is definitely a left-hand thread.
I wonder why?
Here's the answer:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post ... tm?t=91459

I didn't know this until now that I googled it. For me it was just something that's always been like that. :)
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

Kindness71

Post by Kindness71 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 am

Tet70 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:18 am
sads45 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:56 am
I wonder why?
Here's the answer:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post ... tm?t=91459

I didn't know this until now that I googled it. For me it was just something that's always been like that. :)
Wow Tet70 :o that makes total sense. I tried last night using wheel brace and long pipe to unloosen it to the right but looks like I have properly jammed it on. I'm going to have to pop to my mates garage and see if he can get it off. :roll:

CyberGene

Post by CyberGene » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:25 pm

At least you haven't broken it from over tightening, that would have been a huge pain in the ass...
SEAT Ateca XCellence 4DRIVE 1.4 TSI DSG (Samoa Orange, 18" Machined, Sunroof, SEAT Sound, BSD + RCTA, ACC, Top View, Park Assist, Full Link) Ordered Oct 2, Built Nov 15, Delivered Dec 22 '17

tindle8topcliffe

Post by tindle8topcliffe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:31 pm

I reviewed page 101 of the recent ateca manual online and it states to attach the eye to the car, turn anti-clockwise. The reverse clockwise when taking the eye out. It is common in other parts of the E.U. to have screw threads the opposite to the uk. Many can be found on bottled gas cylinders used for caravans. With a bit of manpower, I hope you can remove your eye without damaging anything.
Lava blue manual 1.4 tsi FR. One engine, 6 wheels, four doors, a back door, disco lighting, cinema screen on dash board, hook at the back for additional passenger to hang onto. Picked up 1st March 2018 from dealer

Return to “Faults & Technical”