Winter wheel and tyre sizes

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
The Pielander

Winter wheel and tyre sizes

Post by The Pielander » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:00 pm

I have decided that next Autumn I will buy some winter wheels and tyres for my Ateca 1.4TSI Excellence so I can simply swap them over when the temperature drops low enough. However I'm confused as to what size wheels and tyres are officially recommended. I can see I have 3 options:

215/50R18 winter tyres on the original 18" wheels. This is the most hassle as it means getting the tyres swapped over at the beginning and end of Winter. 18" tyres are expensive too. I'll give this a miss.

215/60R16 winter tyres on steel wheels. The cheapest and most preferable option.

215/55R17 winter tyres on alloy wheels.

But which one is the correct one to use? Presumably I would need to let my insurance company know too?

I'm interested to know what others have done.

mcderms

Re: Winter wheel and tyre sizes

Post by mcderms » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:20 pm

I haven't yet gone down the route of winter wheels & tyres for the Ateca - yet! However the Polo and A3 we have are both on a separate set of OEM wheels and tyres to match factory supplied arrangement; I just prefer it that way, and swap around, as you propose to do. If I was doing the Ateca I'd carry on in the same way.

As for insurance, the attached will be helpful:

https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-iss ... ter-tyres/

Cheers

:D
2.0 TDi Xcellence 4Drive; Rodium Grey; 18" Alloys; ACC; Parking Assist; Heated Windscreen; Driving Assist Pack 2 and Space Saver Spare.

CyberGene

Post by CyberGene » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:41 pm

Winter tires for AWD models are 225, whereas FWD are 215, all else is the same.

I got my Ateca yesterday with stock 225/50/18 and they are pretty smooth coming from a Leon SC FR, but I replaced them with a full set of wheels and 225/55/17 Nokian winter tires and the ride is even better. 16 would also be okay, however in my case there wasn’t a price advantage and preferred bigger wheels just for them being nicer looking than smaller wheels. Mind you, even 18” look smallish to me and I would have loved 19”-s but our roads here are crap. Here’s how it looks with the third party Rondell 17”s:
SEAT Ateca XCellence 4DRIVE 1.4 TSI DSG (Samoa Orange, 18" Machined, Sunroof, SEAT Sound, BSD + RCTA, ACC, Top View, Park Assist, Full Link) Ordered Oct 2, Built Nov 15, Delivered Dec 22 '17

Tet70

Post by Tet70 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:25 am

mcderms wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:20 pm

I find this hilarious! :D
Most motor insurers do not charge additional premiums for vehicles fitted with winter tyres, provided that the tyres are roadworthy and have been fitted in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
Does that mean, that some insurers in UK actually charge extra for using tyres, that reduce your accident risk enormously? :lol: :roll:
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:42 pm

Tet70 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:25 am
mcderms wrote:

Most motor insurers do not charge additional premiums for vehicles fitted with winter tyres, provided that the tyres are roadworthy and have been fitted in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
Does that mean, that some insurers in UK actually charge extra for using tyres, that reduce your accident risk enormously? :lol: :roll:
In some perverse cases that may be - reading that list it seems like most are fairly pragmatic about it.
Now driving: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rhodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed built week 26&27&28, arrived in UK week 30 - Collected 1st Sept 8-)

mcderms

Post by mcderms » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Tet70 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:25 am
mcderms wrote:

I believe that, as winter tyres and wheels started to be fitted to more UK vehicles over the years by drivers, the U.K. Insurance industry hadn't got its act together and, in many cases, insurers initially classed their fitting as 'modifications' to standard specifications and, in some cases, either wanted notified and/or amended premiums to reflect such modifications. The safety aspect seemed to be a secondary consideration and practices varied across insurers until the agreement was reached through the ABI. I think the fact that winter tyres are not legally required in the U.K., unlike some of our European neighbours, didn't help the situation initially either. :!:
2.0 TDi Xcellence 4Drive; Rodium Grey; 18" Alloys; ACC; Parking Assist; Heated Windscreen; Driving Assist Pack 2 and Space Saver Spare.

mike22

Post by mike22 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:47 pm

18" MAK + 18" 225/50 Wintercontact TS-830P

Seat Ateca Xcellence 1.4tsi DSG 4drive, Nevada white, 19", el. adjustable brown leather seats, pano roof, el. tailgate, navi system, assist. packet 3

Niggly

Post by Niggly » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:23 pm

I've just got 5 sets!

My 17" winters from a previous car have just come off and been replaced by the most used (lowest tread) of 3 sets of identical 18"tyres - these on matte graphite wheels. I will change back earlier than normal as I only expect another winter season out of the aging winter tyres. Conti winters consistently win tests.

My original 17" wheels are sat (delivery miles) waiting for my son to insure the car with and will be replaced with winters or winter-biased all-seasons a long time from now.

Of course this succession plan might all change if I fit the 19s from our other car. I do my own changes so can confirm fit before driving.

Too many VW Group cars with extra winter wheels since I saw the light. I should hire them out... :D
1.0 SE rolling on 18s

Ianmac10

Post by Ianmac10 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:16 am

I have the standard Bridgestone Turanza 225/50 R18 wheels
Does anyone know if these will fit for the winter? DBV Torino Black Alloys with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tyres 215/65 R16
Seat Ateca FR 2.0TDI 4 Drive Rhodium Grey

boristhebold

Post by boristhebold » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:55 pm

I can't answer that but had wondered if anyone had fitted 215/60 -17 rather than a 55 profile?
The circumference with a 60 is actually closer to that of the original 225/50-18

Return to “Faults & Technical”