Oil service and inspection service ?

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Wrexham

Oil service and inspection service ?

Post by Wrexham » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:32 pm

The service info in the infotainment display states I need a;

Oil change in 7000 miles and an inspection in 8000 miles. What’s the difference? And does this mean I have to pay for both within weeks of each other ? :ugeek:

Also I notice it’s £189 for the oil service . However mine is on the long life 18k schedule . Any idea if this costs more ?
Ateca SE 1.0 rodium grey 8-)

jamesiow

Re: Oil service and inspection service ?

Post by jamesiow » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:49 am

Just book the 1st year service at the dealer your car needs a oil change. And this needs to be done every year if you love your car
ATECA SE 1.0 Technology, Petrol, Manual, Samoa Orange, Park Assist, Convenience Pack, Top view camera with rear view camera, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal, Keyless Entry & Rear Sunblinds.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:38 am

The car should have been set for longlife at the factory - that's to say the system monitors the engine oil amongst other things and determines when it requires changing. This can be up to 2 years / 18000 miles (or could be 20k, I forget).

When they PDI the car, some dealers will reset the service intervals to time and distance - i.e. set intervals every 12mths.

What you don't say is how old the car is. If it's coming up for 1 year old then it's likely the latter will have happened.

Tet70

Post by Tet70 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Golfmk56 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:38 am
The car should have been set for longlife at the factory - that's to say the system monitors the engine oil amongst other things and determines when it requires changing. This can be up to 2 years / 18000 miles (or could be 20k, I forget).
Actually, VW group LongLife program has changed with the MQB generation. The oil change is still at 2 years or 30000 km (18000 miles) interval, but then there is additional "checkup". First checkup is at the same time as the first oil change service. After that the checkup is once per year, and has independent schedule from the oil change service. Of course, if the two services come close to each other (like with the Wrexham's case), whey will do both at the same time.
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

Ghiggz

Post by Ghiggz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:24 pm

I had mine say oil change was due at about 8k/11 months, so booked it in, when I picked it up they just said they did nothing and cleared the alert as it wasn't due!
Silver Ateca SE 1.6tdi

jamesiow

Post by jamesiow » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:09 pm

It’s madness to leave the oil in the car for more than 12 months if you own the car and plan to keep it. Just asking for trouble oil be left that long
ATECA SE 1.0 Technology, Petrol, Manual, Samoa Orange, Park Assist, Convenience Pack, Top view camera with rear view camera, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal, Keyless Entry & Rear Sunblinds.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:31 pm

If it madness, why would the manufactures and the oil companies recommend extended service intervals?

It would be in their interests you do the opposite.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

sads45

Post by sads45 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:20 am

jamesiow wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:09 pm
It’s madness to leave the oil in the car for more than 12 months if you own the car and plan to keep it. Just asking for trouble oil be left that long
Is this based on fact or just your opinion?
Ateca 1.4 Excellence DSG, Lava Blue, electric tailgate, double boot floor, towbar, black alcantara

jamesiow

Post by jamesiow » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:31 am

Well that’s based on many stories in the motor press, letters from engineers in said press and also VW AG. “Long life servicing is only suitable for certain types of driving conditions or drivers”.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:45 pm

Our infamous friend Honest John always recommends annual oil changes even on long service schedules. That must work out expensive. My Audi A3 didn't have it's first service for 18,000 miles but I put it back on annual because I didn't want it to go 2 years without being checked over.

The idea is that, if you're a short journey driver, then the service will probably just come up sooner. Problems should only really occur if the wrong oil is used which might happen in the early months when some cars can get through a bit of oil and the owner doesn't recognise or care about the implications.

Having checked the numbers through on my Ateca, annual might work out slightly cheaper than long term when you take my 4 year PCP term and mileage into consideration given that long term services are more expensive. This would be the case if a second long term service became due before the 4 years was up.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Return to “Faults & Technical”