Oil service and inspection service ?

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Golfmk56

Re: Oil service and inspection service ?

Post by Golfmk56 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:35 pm

jamesiow wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:31 am
Well that’s based on many stories in the motor press, letters from engineers in said press and also VW AG. “Long life servicing is only suitable for certain types of driving conditions or drivers”.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes
'
So are you now saying it's OK to leave the oil in the car for over 12mth if you meet certain criteria? Because that's not what those others say.

In anycase it's all based on opinion, not fact. Yes there will be cars that are on longlife that will have engine trouble after 5 years or so. There will also be cars that receive an annual service that suffer engine trouble after 5 years or so - how on earth do these people know the trouble was because of bad oil? It's nothing other than a guess. (there will be plenty of cars on longlife that never suffer engine trouble). It's plain wrong to make sweeping statements without supporting evidence.

Not sure how old you are but certainly up until 1995, my Honda's were serviced every 6000 miles - because that was the norm. Anyone who ignored that and had their car serviced every 12mths were labelled "they don't love their cars"; "the engine will suffer" etc Sound familiar? Personally I put it down to some folk never want to change - they can't accept new things.

BMW run on longlife servicing - nothing is said about that. If you look closely at Renault servicing, you'll note their cars are serviced every 12mths, but hidden in the small print is oil only gets changed every 2nd year. I'm sure the vast majority of owners assume the oil gets changed every service.

As ever it's up to the individual how their car gets serviced.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:15 pm

I have a 4 year free service plan from SEAT so although I think it is on the extended plan, I will take it in after 12 months for a basic check and update and see what they do. It will only have done 4000 miles so it will be interesting to see what they do. Pesonally I cannot see why an oil change would be needed as at least 50% of the mileage is at high speed on motorways, hence my 33 mpg.

As I understand it, the engine monitoring systems input to the service process to determine when a service is due when you are on the extended plan.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

jamesiow

Post by jamesiow » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:06 pm

2ed item on this week's HonestJohn:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/hones ... 18-part-1/

I remember this debate about 10 years ago with Skoda I had on the Skoda forum - personally I would not want to leave the oil in the car any longer than 12 months and have the car inspected at the same time by garage or dealer. obviously except people have different opinions
ATECA SE 1.0 Technology, Petrol, Manual, Samoa Orange, Park Assist, Convenience Pack, Top view camera with rear view camera, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal, Keyless Entry & Rear Sunblinds.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:43 pm

Honest John is a dinosaur! He refuses to accept modern innovations and improvements in technology and a good example of this is his attitude to the VW DSG boxes on their smaller engines, stubbornly only believing what happened in the past.

There plenty of DSG Q200 owners on this forum and I haven’t seen too many complaints so far.

Personally I would not take any notice of his biased outdated opinions.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:54 pm

Fred99 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:43 pm
Honest John is a dinosaur! He refuses to accept modern innovations and improvements in technology and a good example of this is his attitude to the VW DSG boxes on their smaller engines, stubbornly only believing what happened in the past.

There plenty of DSG Q200 owners on this forum and I haven’t seen too many complaints so far.

Personally I would not take any notice of his biased outdated opinions.
+1. And one thing he never does is substantiate his claims.

Don't know if anyone else sees the pattern, but folk always keep asking the same questions - what tyres should I chose? the DSG comes up every week or so, as does longlife services. If these folk read HJ, shouldn't they already know the answers? There's more than a hint of loaded / selective questions.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Two snips from his Telegraph column this week.

That’s typical of the VW Group DQ200 seven-speed dry clutch DSG. Reports of failures come in all the time.

Avoid cars with starter buttons, electromechanical parking brakes, DSG transmissions and smaller turbodiesel engines

That’s it then, you had better sell your Ateca tomorrow before they all explode!

Pauleo

Post by Pauleo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:03 am

Phoned up to book a service as mine just ticked over 10000 miles and thought that was the first one
Guy said if the service light hasn’t come on we can’t book it in, also said it might not come on until 20000 or 2 years
1.0 SE Technology Nevada White , double boot floor

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:25 am

Last time my car had a service it didn’t have termites but thanks anyway!!! :?
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:27 pm

Just in case you all think I’m going mad, there was a bogus response to this thread this morning from someone in Sydney trying to offer treatment for termites!! Hence my response above. Looks like the Administrator has now taken it down which makes my post above look a bit stupid.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:30 pm

tobydog wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:27 pm
Just in case you all think I’m going mad, there was a bogus response to this thread this morning from someone in Sydney trying to offer treatment for termites!! Hence my response above. Looks like the Administrator has now taken it down which makes my post above look a bit stupid.
You can always edit your post - or request deletion 8-)
Now driving: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rhodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed built week 26&27&28, arrived in UK week 30 - Collected 1st Sept 8-)

Return to “Faults & Technical”