Multiple failures on brand new car.

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
cbcdesign1

Multiple failures on brand new car.

Post by cbcdesign1 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:15 pm

Picked up my new Ateca yesterday morning. I went out last night for a long drive, something I always do when I get a new car and by 1.45AM my Ateca was on a flatbed recovery truck with lots of failures.

Coming back home last night on the M5 initially I had a warning tone and a brake warning come up on the dash. No vehicle was in front of me, just a range rover in lane 1 I was overtaking in lane 2. I didn't think too much of this initial issue, front assist can be finicky on Vag cars.

Some minutes later a radar visibility error came up and I lost ACC. I stopped at the nearest services, checked the radar (logo) and apart from a few flies it was clean so I restarted the car and the fault cleared.

Back on the M5 after 10 mins a second brake warning, this time no vehicles on either side or in front of me.

10 Mins later a sudden list of errors on the dash, stability control error, traction control error, ACC error. I also lost all drive, the engine would rev but no power through gearbox. I coasted to the hard shoulder, moved to Park. At this point I stopped the car and switched off. Any attempt to restart failed and a whole list of errors came up on screen.

So that was it, a catastrophic failure from my perspective on just about every system. At this point I called Seat recovery, what a godsend that service is. I waited in a ditch behind a barrier in the cold with my dog for half an hour until they turned up. The vehicle could not be towed so I was taken home whilst the car made its way to a yard then on to the dealership this morning. Their master technician is now looking at what on earth has gone wrong.

Not a good start!
Seat Ateca 1.4EcoTSI Xcellence trim in Nevada white with VC, Park Assist, Advanced comfort and Driving Pack Plus2 and Seat Sound

Atecamack

Re: Multiple failures on brand new car.

Post by Atecamack » Thu May 17, 2018 1:03 pm

Lets hope it is something minor missed off the PDI like a battery clamp.
Crap when it happens but the dealers response will either make or break your feelings about the car.
Ateca 1.0TSi Ecomotive SE. Energy Blue, Convenience pack, Winter pack. Ordered 28/02, delivered 05/06

jamesiow

Post by jamesiow » Thu May 17, 2018 6:25 pm

cbcdesign1 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:15 pm
Picked up my new Ateca yesterday morning. I went out last night for a long drive, something I always do when I get a new car and by 1.45AM my Ateca was on a flatbed recovery truck with lots of failures.

Coming back home last night on the M5 initially I had a warning tone and a brake warning come up on the dash. No vehicle was in front of me, just a range rover in lane 1 I was overtaking in lane 2. I didn't think too much of this initial issue, front assist can be finicky on Vag cars.

Some minutes later a radar visibility error came up and I lost ACC. I stopped at the nearest services, checked the radar (logo) and apart from a few flies it was clean so I restarted the car and the fault cleared.

Back on the M5 after 10 mins a second brake warning, this time no vehicles on either side or in front of me.

10 Mins later a sudden list of errors on the dash, stability control error, traction control error, ACC error. I also lost all drive, the engine would rev but no power through gearbox. I coasted to the hard shoulder, moved to Park. At this point I stopped the car and switched off. Any attempt to restart failed and a whole list of errors came up on screen.

So that was it, a catastrophic failure from my perspective on just about every system. At this point I called Seat recovery, what a godsend that service is. I waited in a ditch behind a barrier in the cold with my dog for half an hour until they turned up. The vehicle could not be towed so I was taken home whilst the car made its way to a yard then on to the dealership this morning. Their master technician is now looking at what on earth has gone wrong.

Not a good start!

Sorry to here this, you are within your rights to reject the car. What i would do is write a printed letter by Recorded delivery to the dealer principal of your dealer, SEAT UK and if the car is bought on finance the finance company. Stating that you are unhappy with the position and car etc, trying keep it short and to the point, pointing out to you within your rights to reject car. Given the timeframe to fix the car, say 14 days, demand courtesy vehicle the same type in this timeframe, and a gesture of goodwill compensation when they fix vehicle. Also adding you wish to be reasonable in this matter.

See more:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

I had a relatively minor issue with mine I first had it (interior fan and missing lights), upshot of it is I got a loan diesel ATECA, £500 cash and my car fixed within 10 days.
ATECA SE 1.0 Technology, Petrol, Manual, Samoa Orange, Park Assist, Convenience Pack, Top view camera with rear view camera, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal, Keyless Entry & Rear Sunblinds.

cbcdesign1

Post by cbcdesign1 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:32 pm

Its not a battery clamp issue, we checked that.

The technician and seat are lost for an explanation at the moment. In the meantime the dealership are organising a hire car for me whilst they sort it out.

I dont think there is any point rejecting the car, it leased not bought and I would be no better off waiting for a further 6 months for a replacement anyway. Electronic systems sometimes go wrong, its the service Seat and the dealership provide now that this has happened that matters and as long as they are fair I will be too.

If they cannot fix the car in a reasonable time frame though I will reject it, I wont really have another option.
Seat Ateca 1.4EcoTSI Xcellence trim in Nevada white with VC, Park Assist, Advanced comfort and Driving Pack Plus2 and Seat Sound

jamesiow

Post by jamesiow » Thu May 17, 2018 8:18 pm

cbcdesign1 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:32 pm
Its not a battery clamp issue, we checked that.

The technician and seat are lost for an explanation at the moment. In the meantime the dealership are organising a hire car for me whilst they sort it out.

I dont think there is any point rejecting the car, it leased not bought and I would be no better off waiting for a further 6 months for a replacement anyway. Electronic systems sometimes go wrong, its the service Seat and the dealership provide now that this has happened that matters and as long as they are fair I will be too.

If they cannot fix the car in a reasonable time frame though I will reject it, I wont really have another option.

If you have to reject maybe look at a Skoda Karoq if you want to stick with VW AG cars.
ATECA SE 1.0 Technology, Petrol, Manual, Samoa Orange, Park Assist, Convenience Pack, Top view camera with rear view camera, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal, Keyless Entry & Rear Sunblinds.

cbcdesign1

Post by cbcdesign1 » Wed May 30, 2018 4:12 pm

So it seems Ateca parts are in short supply. The replacement mechatronic unit wont even arrive at the dealership until the end of next week!

cbcdesign1

Post by cbcdesign1 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:45 pm

Got my Ateca back today. It was an electronic issue with the gearbox. Glad to have it back again, I enjoyed the VW Golf Seat hired for me but the Ateca just feels so much nicer (smoother) to drive.

Randomgary

Post by Randomgary » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:37 pm

Fingers crossed mate
Xcellence 1.4 DSG in Rhodium Grey, virtual cockpit, heated windscreen and Xcellence pack with 5 year warranty. Ordered early Dec. Collected 22nd March

cbcdesign1

Post by cbcdesign1 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:55 pm

Thanks.

Unbelievably though I have had terrible trouble trying to close the boot and found today the plastic trim around the latch wasn't even assembled underneath the boot seal properly!

I also found hideous amounts of iron imbedded in the paintwork which took copious amounts of Iron Out to get rid of. It was actually rusting around the headlights and rear window.

I am somewhat disappointed with the lack of care that seems to be evident on my car both at assembly level and in the way it was protected during transportation.

My heart sank slightly when I found out the Ateca was manufactured in the Czech republic. It looks like that lack of faith was not misplaced, in my case at least. I think I am going to raise an official complaint with Seat about my experience. Its not good enough for a £30,000 order.

Return to “Faults & Technical”