Airbag error after dashcam install?

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
RichardJ5

Airbag error after dashcam install?

Post by RichardJ5 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:43 am

Hi

Fitted my dashcam today, hard wired in as I have done on previous Seats, following instruction from this forum, and piggy backed off rear window wiper fuse etc, dashcam works fine, but now have an airbag error come up when I switch the ignition on and the light on the display (inside the rev counter) stays on all the time?

Any ideas

If not it will have to go back (only picked it up on Tuesday) and plead ignorance about the dashcam ;-)

Thanks

AlasdairMac

Re: Airbag error after dashcam install?

Post by AlasdairMac » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:25 pm

It could just be a coincidence, but if you’ve hard wired a dash cam in yourself, might you not have invalidated your warranty?
Ateca 2.0 TDi 190 Xcellence DSG 4Drive Sunroof, Black.

RichardJ5

Post by RichardJ5 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Maybe yes, but can't really fathom how, apart from removing two bits of trim and pulling out the fuse for rear window wiper and plugging it back in again I've done nothing else to the car, seems a bit odd that any of that should affect airbag functionality

Flakmunky

Post by Flakmunky » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:32 pm

I did mine the other day but piggy-backed off the 12v socket fuse. I've had no problems.

I wonder if you have inadvertently removed a fuse whilst the ignition was on? I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't cut in to the wiring loom in any way, then you can 'roll back' and take it to the dealer to sort out.

FWIW, I once retrofitted a satnav unit to a Mk 5 Golf and disconnected the front airbag warning light without disconnecting the battery, this then triggered the warning light on the dash. The dealer cleared the fault for me and even updated the satnav firmware for me!

In summary - I don't think you've done lasting damage, it will probably be fixed by clearing the fault code and anyone with VAG-COM could do this for you if you don't want to take it to the $tealer.
Xcellence 2.0 TDI 190 DSG 4Drive in Lava Blue with:
Digital Cockpit, Top View, Park Assist & Advanced Comfort & Driving Pack Plus 2

RichardJ5

Post by RichardJ5 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:54 am

Hi

No wires cut, so easy to remove (just a pain to take it all out) and put back in again later.

Don't think I removed fuse with ignition on, but you never know.

Will phone today to see what they say and remove over the weekend.

Thanks

RichardJ5

Post by RichardJ5 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:56 am

In summary - I don't think you've done lasting damage, it will probably be fixed by clearing the fault code and anyone with VAG-COM could do this for you if you don't want to take it to the $tealer.
FYI I had VAGCOM for my 06 Leon, wonder if that would that work on the Ateca?

Pollypaz

Post by Pollypaz » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:18 am

I suspect you did same as me when hard wiring and when removing panel that has the passenger airbag switch I removed cable for ease of access. It would appear if you do this and turn ignition on to test you connection for dash cam it flags a fault and for some unknown reason will not clear without a reset through either someone with vagcom or a garage/dealer.
Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Lava Blue with double boot. Ordered Wk 41 built wk 4 Delivery 1st March on 18 plate :D

Tet70

Post by Tet70 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:34 am

Pollypaz wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:18 am
...and for some unknown reason will not clear without a reset through either someone with vagcom or a garage/dealer.
I think the reason is, that it's safety related system. Airbag faults never clear automatically in any car, I believe.
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

Flakmunky

Post by Flakmunky » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:59 pm

Pollypaz wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:18 am
I suspect you did same as me when hard wiring and when removing panel that has the passenger airbag switch I removed cable for ease of access. It would appear if you do this and turn ignition on to test you connection for dash cam it flags a fault and for some unknown reason will not clear without a reset through either someone with vagcom or a garage/dealer.
You don't need to remove that panel! At least, I didn't... :)
Xcellence 2.0 TDI 190 DSG 4Drive in Lava Blue with:
Digital Cockpit, Top View, Park Assist & Advanced Comfort & Driving Pack Plus 2

RichardJ5

Post by RichardJ5 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:33 pm

I suspect you did same as me when hard wiring and when removing panel that has the passenger airbag switch I removed cable for ease of access.
I did exactly that, just made things easier.

Anyway, taken to dealers this morning and the diagnosed that switch as being "faulty" and have ordered me a new one to replace it with, no mention of the dashcam at all. :D

They'll call me when it arrives and have said it will take 10 mins to replace/re-program and all will be well, I did question if car would be safe to drive with the fault showing and they confirmed all would work as normal so no issues

Happy days

Return to “Faults & Technical”