Chrome Trim Tarnish

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
alanmartingreen

Chrome Trim Tarnish

Post by alanmartingreen » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi All
My car is now approaching 2 yrs old and just about to go for the second service. I just wondered if anyone else had noticed tarnishing on the chrome door surrounds on the doors only, the surround around the rear quarter lights is still as good as new.
The dealer has just looked at this and said it could be the chemicals used when washing the car but as I explained, I would expect to see this consistently around all the trim so they then changed their mind to say its limescale. They have offered to buff this out during the services but I wondered if anyone else had noticed the same issue?

AlasdairMac

Re: Chrome Trim Tarnish

Post by AlasdairMac » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:07 pm

I have noticed it too, in the same place. However, mine can’t be limscale as our water supply is completely lime-free. I’ve tried chrome restorer but to no avail. I’d be interest to learn of anyone else with thus problem and how they cleaned it - if they did.
Ateca 2.0 TDi 190 Xcellence DSG 4Drive Sunroof, Black.

Tim The Pines

Post by Tim The Pines » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:16 am

This is an old subject and has been covered here before.
It is a common problem on most VAG cars which they fail to recognize.
Be careful what you wash your car with, and if you cherish your car dont go to they cheap car wash down the road.
As for removing the tarnishing I haven't a clue sorry.

Tim
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI, Mato Brown, Park Assist, Double Floor

alanmartingreen

Post by alanmartingreen » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:02 pm

Awful to think they still use the same materials when they know there is issues with it. I’ve seen 10yr plus VAG cars with chrome as good as new and 23 months in, mine looks like it’s been sun bleached for decades. 😞

Nikkijamie

Post by Nikkijamie » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:35 am

Think it might be the case that sometimes what people are getting there cars cleaned with is a harsher chemical and if not fully removed or if washed in the sun and bits bake dry before being rinsed ofand this causes the chemical burn on the trim
Ateca 1.4dsg excellence 150ps, Nevada white,tow bar,seat sound

Supacook2k

Post by Supacook2k » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:34 pm

This happened to mine after visiting a local hand car wash. All chrome trim on each window has a milky look to it. I believe the only solution is to replace the trim which i am yet to do. If anyone comes up with an alternative solution to correct it, i'm all ears.

fujixpro

Post by fujixpro » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:25 am

Had this problem with my Tiguan and the Ateca, just applied a small amount of Autoglym resin polish and gently removed the milkyness from the chrome work, worked a treat on both cars.

AlasdairMac

Post by AlasdairMac » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:59 pm

Thanks for that tip fujixpro. I’ll give it a try. I’ve already tried a chrome restorer to no avail so here’s hoping !
Ateca 2.0 TDi 190 Xcellence DSG 4Drive Sunroof, Black.

alangt

Post by alangt » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:45 pm

Exactly the same problem here. Chrome trim on door windows tarnished. Meanwhile the rear quarter light is fine. Pointed it out to my local dealer, and their immediate reply was that it was down to washing.

Protested and have basically had the brush off from the dealer, no call back etc. Pretty shabby service all in all. Judging by the posts Seat know all about this problem, and have chosen to ignore their customers.

I’ve had three new cars from the company which has the local Seat franchise in the last 6 years, and will not be using them again.

Seat Ateca Xcellence 150 Petrol DSG. July 2017.

Paul.Cambs

Post by Paul.Cambs » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:34 pm

Has anyone got any pictures of the affected bit ?
'Samantha' is a Feb-2018 Samoa FR 2.0 TSi 4Drive DSG
19" Wheels | KESSY | Power Tailgate | Adaptive Cruise | Top View Camera | Seat Sound
Convenience Pack | Winter Pack | Advanced Comfort and Driving Plus Pack | Heated Front Screen

Return to “Faults & Technical”