Chrome Trim Tarnish

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Golfmk56

Re: Chrome Trim Tarnish

Post by Golfmk56 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:08 pm

alangt wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:45 pm
Pointed it out to my local dealer, and their immediate reply was that it was down to washing.
'
What was your response when that suggestion was made?

If a dealership said that to me, I'd be asking for a written explanation of how washing a car causes corrosion, which I'd be passing on to my solicitor. If they refused, I'd get out my mobile, tell them I'm taking a video and ask them again why the chrome has corroded and I'd have no hesitation in telling them it's my belief that 1: they are lying 2: they are not in anyway qualified to say how a piece of trim has corroded.

That's such a cop out it's untrue. Are they suggesting you've washed your car with caustic soda? Why not ask them for two copies of their conclusion so you can also send one to Autoglym (or whatever cleaner you use) with a cover note: My SEAT dealer says your product is corroding my car. Come to think of it, ask them for five copies - tell them you'll also be sending one to WhatCar! and Which! saying my SEAT dealer says XXX's wash n' wax has corroded the trim on my SEAT. And you'll be sending the last copy to the institute of mechanical engineers because you've found an expert in metallurgy who can diagnose faults in metal without the use of a microscope.

Or you just call the person an ignorant prick and ask for the dealer principal.

Nikkijamie

Post by Nikkijamie » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:16 am

It’s down the chemical burn/ tarnishing from either incorrect products when washing or washing in sunlight which allows certain areas to bake dry, causing damage.
Check on some detailing forums and they will say the same. I never wash mine in direct sunlight or when bodywork is hot.
But I too noticed damage 3 weeks after pickup when I first washed it which I got replaced by dealer as a Goodwill gesture as I said it must have been down to them washing when it arrived.
Ateca 1.4dsg excellence 150ps, Nevada white,tow bar,seat sound

CYCLIC

Post by CYCLIC » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:05 pm

I have the same problem. Mostly just the front window surrounds. I approached the garage where I bought the vehicle, they instantly said no and showed me a document from Seat. They wouldn’t let me read it. I then went to UK CUSTOMER SERVICES who said they would investigate. Came back saying the garage told them that it was due to washing chemical. They told me the surrounds were solid polished aluminium, which obviously they are not! They also stated that the handbook warned against using chemical to clean the car on something like page 273 of the handbook.
I emailed the CEO of Seat UK, had a holding reply from some senior person in executive customer services over two weeks ago with no further response. One of my a4guements was that this problem had been around for over 10 years and therefore why are they still using materials that can b3 so adversly affected by what in all honesty is commonly used cleaning materials.
Seat are not really to blame I suppose, it is a carry on from VAG.
They must have hundreds of unhappy customers. Any ideas as to where we can go now?
Has anyone tried “wrapping”. I understand they use a self adhesive vynil (or vinyl) material.
The FR and Cupra have black surrounds!
From CYCLIC - Bila White 190

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:20 pm

So why don’t you just wash it with a decent shampoo? I use Meguires and have no problems.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

Return to “Faults & Technical”