Battery faulty after 18 months dealer saying not covered

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
fabbers

Battery faulty after 18 months dealer saying not covered

Post by fabbers » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi all

I've been a happy Ateca driver (personal lease) for 18 months (22,000 miles) however I've hit a bit of a bump in the road :roll: in regards to a warranty claim. Bear with me.

So temperatures have taken a dive which I reckon will have contributed however last Saturday I parked up for approximately 15 minutes with the engine off and electrics on, I then got a low battery warning "drive to charge" turned the ignition, dead. Rang seat assist and once arrived, checked for drains, none, jump started and all good. Did a very long 40 minute route home to get some charge back in. All good. Tuesday drove 25 minutes away, parked up went to an appointment, came back to car 40 minutes later got in turned key, dead again (I'd also done 80 miles between sat and tue). Seat assist out again, no abnormal drain, battery only registering a quarter of documented capacity. AA fill out form telling me it needs replacing and to drive straight to dealer as unlikely to start under own power again.

I do exactly that, drop it off, get a call back the following day saying yes battery at fault however diagnostics say it's not a factory fault so likely external influence so not covered they want £410 for a replacement! I know how batteries work and also that they are sealed units so when I challenged what external influence could be they said, 'any number of things'. I have maintenance on my lease but they're saying it should be warranty but the dealer won't budge.

I've now raised a case with seat directly and had it escalated, in 20 years of motoring I've never known a battery die so quickly so would point at a fault rather than wear and tear. I'm without my car and luckily have been off work.

Anyone got any insights or thoughts? There's a couple of similar posts that have got swapped out so was curious if that was pushing for it or just honoured. The next nearest dealership is 25 miles away so a second opinion would be difficult in its current state.

Thanks in advance.

Rory

Re: Battery faulty after 18 months dealer saying not covered

Post by Rory » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:33 pm

fabbers wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:08 pm
I do exactly that, drop it off, get a call back the following day saying yes battery at fault however diagnostics say it's not a factory fault so likely external influence so not covered they want £410 for a replacement! I know how batteries work and also that they are sealed units so when I challenged what external influence could be they said, 'any number of things'. I have maintenance on my lease but they're saying it should be warranty but the dealer won't budge.
You do seem to hear of batteries failing early these days (on all cars) but I'd have expected the manufacturer to cover under warranty even if there was no specific cause - everything should last a reasonable length of time and 18mths isn't reasonable for a battery.

I can't imagine what an owner could do to hurt it other than letting the battery go completely flat a number of times. Is you use of the car 'normal'?

Whatever, if SEAT won't budge then the mantenance provider should suck it up.

I notice SEAT have a fixed price of £199 for a stop/start battery so their cost of £410 is oddly adrift.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

fujixpro

Re: Battery faulty after 18 months dealer saying not covered

Post by fujixpro » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi,
I had my battery pack in on me around 2months ago, I have had the vehicle for over 18 months(Ateca Excellence 2Tdi 4Drive) my battery was replaced under warranty, my dealer carried out a diagnostic test on the battery, the unit failed, I also had to call out the AA who gave me a computer reading from their battery test showing how bad the battery was, and as for SEAT wanting over £ 400 for a battery is a JOKE, get onto What Car magazine re your problem after all you and the rest of us keep SEAT in the market place by purchasing their product, might not go amiss to contact SEAT's public relations folk outlining your problem and let them know you will be contacting What Car magazine with this issue, all the beat.

Regards

Fujixpro.

Return to “Faults & Technical”