Sat Nav Screen

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Ianmac10

Re: Sat Nav Screen

Post by Ianmac10 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:53 pm

I just dont remember mine looking like this originally and it just looks odd. Mine is like this all the time and not affected by zoom or location as far as I can tell.
Seat Ateca FR 2.0TDI 4 Drive Rhodium Grey

Flakmunky

Post by Flakmunky » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:54 pm

Have you tried zooming in and out?! I think it disappears the more zoomed in you are...

The way GolfMk56 describes it sounds as if it could be zoom related as the map zooms in when you come to a roundabout, junction or built-up area, and it would happen at exactly the same place every time.
Xcellence 2.0 TDI 190 DSG 4Drive in Lava Blue with:
Digital Cockpit, Top View, Park Assist & Advanced Comfort & Driving Pack Plus 2

Flakmunky

Post by Flakmunky » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:13 am

Hi,

I'm not questioning your sanity, guys! Just trying to help...

I thought this may help determine whether you guys have a genuine issue. Note: I have standard nav with digital dash.

With Auto zoom switched on, the icon looks like this:

20190103_094738[1].jpg

At zoom level 100 yards, the screen looks like this:

20190103_094630[2].jpg

With the soft buttons activated, this is what it looks like:

20190103_094638[1].jpg

And then zooming from 500 to 750 yards, the horizon line drops smoothly in from the top to look like this:

20190103_094714[1].jpg

And finally, with the zoom level at 750 yards and with the soft buttons activated:

20190103_094724[1].jpg

I use the right hand physical knob to zoom in and out. Zooming will cancel the Auto Zoom function.

At the risk of telling you things you already know, Auto Zoom will alter the zoom level automatically depending on where you are.

On a motorway it will zoom quite far out, I can't remember off the top of my head, but a zoom level of 1 or 2 miles seems about what it does. Coming to a motorway junction it will zoom in a little, but then in an urban area it will zoom in further again. As you can see in my pics, it had zoomed right in to 100 yards in the centre of town, but generally it likes to sit around 300 yards around my area.

If you drive in to an area that is within a beige built-up shaded polygon area, on any road, it will zoom in to a minimum of 300 yards... This is absolutely predictable, as per Golfmk56's symptoms. Of course, his is a Skoda and it might be tweaked slightly differently.

It is sometimes not apparent that the map is zooming as it is a smooth zoom, not a stepped zoom and so if it is just going between 300 and 750 yards unless you have your eyes glued to the screen you may not notice it. But this would explain the horizon seemingly appearing and disappearing.

My wife's Arona exhibits absolutely the same behaviour.

Anyway, I'm just trying to help you diagnose your issue, so I do hope this helps you.

Grahamn

Post by Grahamn » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:25 am

Flakymunky - I've just gone and tried this again for myself. You are correct - The horizon vanishes at the 500 yds zoom and closer. The horizon line isn't a fault and manually zooming to 500 or closer or the auto zoom would account for it vanishing and reappearing.

skk

Post by skk » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:51 pm

My appologies. I tested again and I can confirm that the haze depends on the zoom level.

Smiffy

Post by Smiffy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:02 pm

Could it be that they put the artificial horizon there to avoid having to reproduce a very tiny, distant map right to 'infinity'? You could get into some messy software situations when you're trying to draw objects that are only a few pixels across. As an ex-software developer, I can just imagine the design meeting where someone came up with a brainwave to avoid some complex coding....

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:03 pm

Silvertouran wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:10 pm
Mine does it but it’s definitely zoom related. I think it’s meant to look like you’re flying and it’s showing the curvature of the earth.
Ha ha. No, there is no skyline razamataz - I don't know where people get that idea from? If there were a skyline, then it would be present all the time and on everyone's system.

I do not have the highline ( or as Skoda call it - Columbus) system in my car, both my Skoda and SEAT have the same std systems. As I say both systems set exactly the same.

Regarding auto zoom - when the blue band appears and autozoom kicks in (or manual zoom) then the system goes back to working normally. But if you leave it for a few mins, the blue band re-appears. Zoom will only correct the problem temporarily.

Certainly not a software issue - both my car and the dealerships other Skoda were running the same latest software version, both systems exactly the same settings yet we could pinpoint within a few yards when the blue band would appear on my car, but it didn't appear on the other. We just don't know if the problem lies within the headunit or the signal being fed from the aerial. It's really weird. They can play around with my car when it next goes for service.

Flakmunky

Post by Flakmunky » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:52 pm

@Smiffy - yes, there would be aliasing issues and as a result a lot of 'crawling' lines.

@Golfmk56 - Not sure I understand you. It is present all the time, on everyone's system... When you are zoomed out beyond 500 yards. Maybe if you posted a couple of pics we could better understand your issue? Whatever it is I hope you get it sorted.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:50 pm

Flakmunky wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:52 pm
@Smiffy - yes, there would be aliasing issues and as a result a lot of 'crawling' lines.

@Golfmk56 - Not sure I understand you. It is present all the time, on everyone's system... When you are zoomed out beyond 500 yards. Maybe if you posted a couple of pics we could better understand your issue? Whatever it is I hope you get it sorted.
I can't upload pics because if you read my post, it's working fine at the moment. Doesn't matter what the zoom level is, the system displays a perfectly clear 8" map. No matter what I do I cannot get that blue line to appear. (I can't get it to appear on my SEAT either).

But I'll repeat again, when the system was showing that blue band - it was consistant within a few yards - it would appear on every single occasion at the same point on the road. Travelling eastwards and around East Lothian, nothing - worked perfectly. Travelling west, it would come on just after the roundabout below Stirling castle, and remain there for the 20 odd miles or so to a small village past Drymen, and then disappear. (exactly the same would happen on the return journey - it would appear near Drymen and then disappear 20 odd miles later at Stirling Castle). And exactly the same heading South west - system would work 100% OK thru remote areas on motorway, dense built up areas etc, then the blue band would appear at a point on the A77 / M77 and disappear a few miles before Prestwick.

I've never heard of any horizon and cannot find any mention of a horizon in any documentation. Even if it was supposed to be a horizon - what's the point? It's a large blue faded band which blurs writing on the map underneath. A horizon-level might be of use in an aeroplane but unless I've been in an accident and my car is lying upside-down in a ditch, I'm not quite sure why I need to know where the horizon is.

Maybe that's the answer - turn the car on it's roof and see if the blue band changes to the bottom of the map :lol:

Flakmunky

Post by Flakmunky » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:43 am

Golfmk56 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:50 pm
Travelling west, it would come on just after the roundabout below Stirling castle, and remain there for the 20 odd miles or so to a small village past Drymen, and then disappear. (exactly the same would happen on the return journey - it would appear near Drymen and then disappear 20 odd miles later at Stirling Castle). And exactly the same heading South west - system would work 100% OK thru remote areas on motorway, dense built up areas etc, then the blue band would appear at a point on the A77 / M77 and disappear a few miles before Prestwick.
That would be consistent with the auto zoom; when the map zooms out, the horizon appears, when the map zooms in the horizon disappears. Having looked at Google Maps, if you are talking about the A811, that is exactly what I would expect to happen on that road.

BUT! You say that the auto-zoom was switched off, so that sounds like a bug in the code was triggering the horizon band to appear and disappear at the pre-programmed points for the auto-zoom, but obviously without the zoom. That this isn't happening now suggests that a flag didn't get set properly somewhere in the code when changing options / functions in a specific order. If it happens again, I'd try rebooting the system.

Unless there is updated software / firmware I also doubt it is something the dealer can fix. I would definitely ask if there is updated software / firmware (not maps!) when you take it in next as the last update didn't address it...
Golfmk56 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:50 pm
I've never heard of any horizon and cannot find any mention of a horizon in any documentation. Even if it was supposed to be a horizon - what's the point? It's a large blue faded band which blurs writing on the map underneath.
It is supposed to be distance haze / the horizon and it is used to limit the draw distance. This will be for a couple of reasons, firstly so that the system isn't having to render features that can't be seen clearly. This is is used because as the map features become smaller due to the perspective, then rendering artefacts start to appear (crawlies, twinkling and pixellation) due to aliasing and, potentially, mip-mapping (although I don't think the standard system renders any texture maps; all features seem to be vectors apart from POI icons).

Secondly it will be used in order to maintain a high frame rate so the map pans and zooms smoothly.

FWIW, I spent 8 years in an R&D department developing real-time 3d systems so know a couple of things about 3d graphics tech... ;)

Return to “Faults & Technical”