Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Front USB ports stopped working

29K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  JamalMustafa 
#1 ·
Hi,

My front USB ports have stopped working tonight.
Thought I'd check the manual to see which fuse covers them, but the front USB ports are not mentioned in the fuse list....
The rear USB is, but that is working fine and looks like it is on a separate system.
I have checked The fuse for the 12v socket and that is fine....

Anyone got any ideas which fuse is designated for the front USB ports?

Might be my first trip to the dealers☹

#3 ·
Still not working today.... booked in for tomorrow.
I did ask if the workshop could give the fuse number, but they refused saying that could make them liable if I caused damage by pulling a wrong fuse.
Will update tomorrow if it is resolved.

#4 ·
I would be surprised if the USB ports consume enough energy to even blow a fuse in the first place. I haven't replaced a fuse in a car since about 1980 and I've had some real old bangers!!

#5 ·
So.....car sorted at the dealership.....they told me it was the fuse, and that they have done it for free this time, but that fuses are not covered under warranty.
I asked where on the board the fuse was so I could sort it myself next time...but they still will not tell me where it is! So that means every time that fuse blows, I will be charged for their time to change it......ridiculous!,,
They said that my dash cam should not be plugged into the front usb's as that is what will have caused the blow.
Bit strange, but on checking the manual, it mentions the rear usb should be used for charging /power..... it does not mention that for the front.....
Perhaps the front ones are just for media then?

I still can't believe they are refusing to tell me what fuse covers the front USB ports though!

#6 ·
Ateca_newbie said:
So.....car sorted at the dealership.....they told me it was the fuse, and that they have done it for free this time, but that fuses are not covered under warranty.
I asked where on the board the fuse was so I could sort it myself next time...but they still will not tell me where it is! So that means every time that fuse blows, I will be charged for their time to change it......ridiculous!,,
They said that my dash cam should not be plugged into the front usb's as that is what will have caused the blow.
Bit strange, but on checking the manual, it mentions the rear usb should be used for charging /power..... it does not mention that for the front.....
Perhaps the front ones are just for media then?

I still can't believe they are refusing to tell me what fuse covers the front USB ports though!
May be wrong but I believe fuse locations would be in the owners manual.

G
#8 ·
I'm tempted to think, that the front USB ports get their power straight from the head unit. After all, they are not just for charging, but for Full Link as well. My car doesn't have rear USB ports, but if they are just charge ports, that would explain why they have dedicated fuse and the front ports don't have.

#11 ·
G
#12 ·
I doubt there's fuse for USB ports on the head unit. I would try to reset the head unit first, to see if that fixes the problem with the ports. I mean total reboot, with power button pressed for >10 seconds.

#14 ·
Hello!
today I experienced a similar thing because one of the two ports stopped working after I had used it few minutes before.
I read that it may depend on the electrical absorption of some devices, because the port goes in protection (don't know if it is a correct saying in English).
I have an iPhone 7 Plus and I use the Full Link, so the phone is always plugged in.
Is it a plausible explaination? After few hours it should work again, they say.

#17 ·
Hi

Yesterday my radio AND two front USB ports stopped working. I checked the relevant fuses for the radio (not sure about the location of the USB fuses) but they were OK. Car booked in for this coming Tuesday (because they are too busy) with my SEAT garage. In the meantime I got Halfords to check all the fuses (in the engine compartment and also the other fuse box below the glove compartment) and they were all OK. I have read the posts here re the USB ports (my car only has the front ones) but no mention of the radio failing? My car is a March 2017 1.4 TSI SE petrol.

My previous cars, some 7 years plus, never had these types of problems. Would appreciate advice please.

James

#18 ·
In my previous cars I used an adapter in the 12v power socket that one could plug a USB into to power and charge things so maybe that is the answer, power the heavier things like dashcam, charging 'dead' phones etc in the 12v power socket that is designed to power things rather than the fitted USB which I thought was just to play music from phones and memory sticks, works very well for me. From what's been said the rear USB are powered for games consoles, TVs etc.
The 12v cigarette lighter socket/ USB adapters are widely available and some are neat enough to look like part of the car.

#19 ·
Re my 28 March post above - took the car in today and they confirmed the fuses were OK. They state that it must be the "Module" that's gone and the part is not available in the UK and would have to be ordered from Spain. They were unable to supply any time period for resolution. Seems crazy for this to happen to a two year old car.

#21 ·
Happened to my car once, next day the started working again. Probably self protection mode but i am not sure if this is true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.