1.5tsi DSG 2019 Jerkiness

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Wookiee

Re: 1.5tsi DSG 2019 Jerkiness

Post by Wookiee » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:48 am

Fred99 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:58 pm
If posters have a manual car, why are they posting on this thread which is specifically about the DSG models?
Anarchy!
(Wife's car) 2018 Xcellence 1.4TSi; Samoa Orange; heated screen; spacesaver; advanced driving pack; double floor

Jettabout

Post by Jettabout » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:53 am

Can I ask if anyone knows if this problem affects the Arona 1.5L as my other half might be interested in swapping her VW Touran for one in the future. Okay the problem may well be sorted by the time she is persuaded to part with her much loved 'Tourbus' but it would be good to know in case it's a second hand one that turns up.
Thanks.
Dave.
2019 Ateca SE Tech 2.0ltr Tdi, Rodium grey, now with spare wheel...

FrAteca

Post by FrAteca » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:37 pm

Jettabout wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:53 am
Can I ask if anyone knows if this problem affects the Arona 1.5L as my other half might be interested in swapping her VW Touran for one in the future. Okay the problem may well be sorted by the time she is persuaded to part with her much loved 'Tourbus' but it would be good to know in case it's a second hand one that turns up.
Thanks.
I believe it effects all if not most 1.5 Evo TSI engines across whole VW Seat Skoda Audi range.

Jettabout

Post by Jettabout » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Thanks Fr.
Dave.
2019 Ateca SE Tech 2.0ltr Tdi, Rodium grey, now with spare wheel...

luhmaa

Post by luhmaa » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:38 pm

Jettabout,

I have a Arona FR 1.5
Its just over a year old (new 16th March 2018) and has 22,000 mile on the clock and mine still kangaroo's when ether hot or cold even after a year.
In the beginning I put it down to a new car and me trying to get use to it.
Around May 2018 I got the dealer to let me try a brand new FR1.5 that had just come off the delivery lorry and I drove it across the forecourt and it was like a kangaroo.
The service manager drove mine said it was just as bad as the new one that had been delivered.
They plugged it into their system but it showed no faults. They contacted Seat to log it as an issue.
I'm just living with it for the moment.
I was told that for the Arona, the gearbox was designed for the 1.0l engine but Seat just bolted it onto the 1.5l. As its not actually designed for the 1.5 that's what gives it the kangaroo movement. (I'm not convinced as Ateca owners are experiencing the same issue with the same size engine).

My problem is that the wife's 3 year lease on her Ateca is up in October, she wants a petrol version this time (currently she has a 1.6 TDI) so I could end up with two 1.5l Seat cars that kangaroo down the road.

silent ninja

Post by silent ninja » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:39 am

We still don't have stats on the issue. The number of people reporting issues is a small fraction of the number of owners. Even on this forum and others, many 1.5 TSI owner have not been affected.

Only VW know the extent of the problem.

Bobbytoad

Post by Bobbytoad » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:57 pm

silent ninja wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:39 am
We still don't have stats on the issue. The number of people reporting issues is a small fraction of the number of owners. Even on this forum and others, many 1.5 TSI owner have not been affected.
I was thinking the same, either many are living with it or not so sensitive to the issue or more worryingly in terms of a fix it only affects occasional (albeit quite a few) vehicles.
presumably there are less posts on this forum compared to the T-Roc or Karoc forums because Seat sells far fewer cars?

FrAteca

Post by FrAteca » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:50 pm

I emailed SEAT UK and got this response :
Dear Mr Ali

Thank you for your contact on 16 April.

I have liaised with our Technical Support Team, and they have confirmed that regrettably at this time we have no further update regarding a fix at this moment. We have been advised one is due, but no time line has been given.

We would advise to contact your local SEAT Retailer who would be more than happy to advise you once a fix has been released. I apologise for any dissatisfaction and appreciate your patience in the matter.

I have provided for your convenience a link to our SEAT Dealer Locator below:

www.seat.co.uk/content/uk/brand/en/cont ... ealer.html

I hope the above information proves to be of use. Thank you for contacting SEAT UK.

Kind regards

Joshua Barton
Customer Relations Advisor
SEAT UK

Sash

Post by Sash » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:29 pm

Bobbytoad wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:57 pm

I was thinking the same, either many are living with it or not so sensitive to the issue or more worryingly in terms of a fix it only affects occasional (albeit quite a few) vehicles.
presumably there are less posts on this forum compared to the T-Roc or Karoc forums because Seat sells far fewer cars?
SEAT have sold about 145 000 Ateca's in Europe in 2017-2018. That's about twice as much as Karoq and about 5000 more than T-Roc. (Mostly due to much higher 2017 sales. as both Karoq and T-Roc are newer models. VW sold almost 140K T-Rocs in 2018 alone though. Karoq 2018 sales were almost similar to Ateca - smth like 70K+ )

Ralph_Malph

Post by Ralph_Malph » Wed May 29, 2019 8:42 pm

Hi, I have my PERSONAL and UNPROVED opinion about the whole issue, based on some points.

1) Even without any official information, it seems that the engine head has changed from 1st March on; more specifically, some details of valves should have been changed.

2) I haven't seen any complaints of "hidden kangaroos" or of unepected stalls for vehicles delivered from April on (not only Ateca's, but also all other VAG models fitted with the 1.5 engine), so I think that the (possible) engine change was done to fix those issues (maybe among others).

3) Some (VAG) drivers reported that their dealers could check a "secret list" and say if their cars were affected or not.

4) Some (VAG) drivers reported a weird evolution of the issues: increasing up to 3000 miles, stable up to 6000 miles, decreasing (in some cases: zeroing) after 6000 miles.

5) Some (VAG) drivers reported big improvements after using a valve lubrication additive.

6) The software update took several months to be developed, and it is available for MY19 only, MY18 drivers are still waiting for it.

Based on the above points, my PERSONAL and UNPROVED opinion (sorry to repeat it) is that such issues could be due to insufficient valve lubrication, depending on the complexity of the technical solutions applied to the 1.5 engine, in turn due to hardware problems affecting only some suppliers/lots.
Such insufficient valve lubrication could vary, from vehicle to vehicle, e.g. depending on different suppliers and/or supply lots.
The valve lubrication can vary as the mileage goes up (tear and wear of parts).
Hardware problems could have been fixed by changing the head for engines manufactured after 1st March.

IF all or some points above were true, this "theory" could explain why:
- some cars are affected and others (likely the most) are not (different hardware);
- some drivers reported big improvements from additives (improved lubrication);
- dealers can check a list and say if a specific car is affected or not (hardware list);
- some drivers reported an evolution of their problems as mileage increases (change of lubrication due to tear and wear);
- engines manufactured after 1st March seem not affected by any issue (hardware change);
- VAG engineers took months to develop the software update (which has to deal with an hardware problem) and this is now available only for MY19 (likely they need other months for MY18 due to different engine hardware).

Just my two pence....

Return to “Faults & Technical”