Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

1.5 engine software updates

154K views 314 replies 65 participants last post by  Grumbles 
#1 ·
Just wondering if there are any ateca owners who have the 1.5 evo 1st gear engine problems that have been contacted by their dealers or seat regarding the software updates
I notice on the skoda & volkswagen forums that the updates have started to be installed with some success it seems.
I am one of the unfortunates that has seen my 2019 excellence model affected, and am currently in a hire car courtesy seat uk while i await the fix

#4 ·
So I rang my Seat case manager today and some good news actually came out. They are testing the patch in a few select dealers and should be able to book cars in some point next week. He advised he would call me next week to arrange.

#8 ·
Software update is meant mostly for one issue - lack of reaction when pressing accelerator. I have experienced it several times in 1.5 DSG, but fortunately not in heavy traffic. It is/might be really dangerous. Other issues (kangaroo etc.) were also fixed (at least partially) by this update, but lack of acceleration was main reason for the update.
This IS safety issue and there should be recall.

#9 ·
Felix said:
Software update is meant mostly for one issue - lack of reaction when pressing accelerator. I have experienced it several times in 1.5 DSG, but fortunately not in heavy traffic. It is/might be really dangerous. Other issues (kangaroo etc.) were also fixed (at least partially) by this update, but lack of acceleration was main reason for the update.
This IS safety issue and there should be recall.
Couldnt agree more, many people from the Karoq forums wrote to DVSA which have decided not to treat it as a safety issue. :shock:

#10 ·
Hello, I got the update installed yesterday (in Poland) and the update helps a lot, but doesn`t fix all the problems. Kangaroo effect is still present but definitely much less than before. The first gear issue also is much less visibe.

What is my concern now why some cars were not affected by the engine problems and some were. Why some cars needs the software update and some doesn`t ?? If the software is exactly the same in all the cars and only some cars has to be fixed, then.... is it really the software problem, or is it in fact some mechanical problem that is only being hidden by the new software ?
Do You understand what is going on ?

#11 ·
Hi, I have my PERSONAL and UNPROVED opinion about the whole issue, based on some points.

1) Even without any official information, it seems that the engine head has changed from 1st March on; more specifically, some details of valves should have been changed.

2) I haven't seen any complaints of "hidden kangaroos" or of unepected stalls for vehicles delivered from April on (not only Ateca's, but also all other VAG models fitted with the 1.5 engine), so I think that the (possible) engine change was done to fix those issues (maybe among others).

3) Some (VAG) drivers reported that their dealers could check a "secret list" and say if their cars were affected or not.

4) Some (VAG) drivers reported a weird evolution of the issues: increasing up to 3000 miles, stable up to 6000 miles, decreasing (in some case: zeroing) after 6000 miles.

5) Some (VAG) drivers reported big improvements after using a valve lubrication additive.

6) The software update took several months to be developed, and it is available for MY19 only, MY18 drivers are still waiting for it.

Based on the above points, my PERSONAL and UNPROVED opinion (sorry to repeat it) is that such issues could be due to insufficient valve lubrication, depending on the complexity of the technical solutions applied to the 1.5 engine, in turn due to hardware problems affecting only some suppliers/lots.
Such insufficient valve lubrication could vary, from vehicle to vehicle, e.g. depending on different suppliers and/or supply lots.
The valve lubrication can vary as the mileage goes up (tear and wear of parts).
Hardware problems could have been fixed by changing the head for engines manufactured after 1st March.

IF all or some points above were true, this "theory" could explain why:
- some cars are affected and others (likely the most) are not (different hardware);
- some drivers reported big improvements from additives (improved lubrication);
- dealers can check a list and say if a specific car is affected or not (hardware list);
- some drivers reported an evolution of their problems as mileage increases (change of lubrication due to tear and wear);
- engines manufactured after 1st March seem not affected by any issue (hardware change);
- VAG engineers took months to develop the software update (which has to deal with an hardware problem) and this is now available only for MY19 (likely they need other months for MY18 due to different engine hardware).

Just my two pence....

#12 ·
Hi everyone
Had the Ateca 1.5tsi EVO Tech since March and increasingly aware of Kangarooing, hesitancy problem.
Contacted Dealer last week who offered to take car in and provide loan vehicle.
Unfortunately on my arrival they had received explicit instruction from Seat Uk
' not to attempt any repair of this vehicle as a patch is being developed.'
I contacted Seat Uk today as not only do I have the safety issue but also have been declined an inspection !! Awaiting their response ....... anyone come across this unusual response?

#13 ·
Finally had the Ok from VWFS to reject the car and ate awaiting an auction firm to collect the vehicle,

Been in it since December so doesn't matter how long you've been driving it you have still got the right to give the car back as it's technically been faulty since delivery,

If anyone else owns the 1.5 with the issue I wouldn't even bother waiting for an update, there's no guarantee either that the 1st software fix will solve it,

Also finance offered me discount off monthly payments for 12 months with a fix been done my December this year ... so do they know that a fix isn't close?

Now to look for a new car again!!

#15 ·
Teo said:
Hello, I got the update installed yesterday (in Poland) and the update helps a lot, but doesn`t fix all the problems. Kangaroo effect is still present but definitely much less than before. The first gear issue also is much less visibe.

What is my concern now why some cars were not affected by the engine problems and some were. Why some cars needs the software update and some doesn`t ?? If the software is exactly the same in all the cars and only some cars has to be fixed, then.... is it really the software problem, or is it in fact some mechanical problem that is only being hidden by the new software ?
Do You understand what is going on ?
well that is worrying it did not fix the issue..have read elsewhere it may be due to lack of engine lubrication on start up..which will cause wear and tear and the engine to die a lot faster.

Will be getting mine done in 2 weeks. What my prob is that why seat did not make a safety recall for it or a bulletin or anything..it is all hush hush until you ring and complain about the issue.

#21 ·
Well i had the software update on the 28/05/19
And after a weeks running now, here is my progress report !
Am pleased to say that the flat/dead spot in 2nd gear seems to have been cured , i havent had a stall or the lack of pedal response since so that is really good news,
However the jerking/ kangaroo in 1 st gear especially when cold (its not been below 11 deg) is still present i am fed up of hopping down the road and
Am at the end of my patience now, and am not willing to wait again and again for a possible 2nd update, which is being talked about on the skoda & vw forums
Love the car otherwise but am worried about premature clutch failure due to having to slip the clutch like a learner driver constantly, and the worst fear of all is residual values on a car with a 'dodgy' engine ! Cant wait to hear that one !!

#22 ·
Pennine bantam said:
Am pleased to say that the flat/dead spot in 2nd gear seems to have been cured , i havent had a stall or the lack of pedal response since so that is really good news,
However the jerking/ kangaroo in 1 st gear especially when cold (its not been below 11 deg) is still present i am fed up of hopping down the road and
Am at the end of my patience now, and am not willing to wait again and again for a possible 2nd update, which is being talked about on the skoda & vw forums
Love the car otherwise but am worried about premature clutch failure due to having to slip the clutch like a learner driver constantly, and the worst fear of all is residual values on a car with a 'dodgy' engine ! Cant wait to hear that one !!
I only have the kangaroo issue..so if it does not fix that i would be pissed

#23 ·
Well , who knows it may work on yours hopefully, thats what is so strange about the whole problem, everyones own car seems different! Most owners have no problems , some have mild , problems and some have severe issues right across the whole V A G group with this engine
Will V W ever be honest enough to provide a proper solution and restore customer confidence ?

#25 ·
Pennine bantam said:
Hi Pennine Bantam, VAG drivers with same engine reported in other forums (e.g. Skoda Karoq or VW T-Roc) that were told by dealers to drive 600 miles to allow the engine to "learn" (???) the new software map.
Even if this sounds a bit weird, such drivers confirmed that their kangarooing problems, if still present just after the update, disappeared after 500/600 miles.
How many miles have you driven after the update? Maybe you have to give some more time to your engine?

P.S.: maybe this fact could mean that my "theory" about kangarooing due to lack of valve lubrication is not as fantastic as it could seem; the engine could need some miles with the new software map to improve valve lubrication...

#26 ·
Hi ralph , thank you for the advice, it may be worth following, my dealer (who was not the seller) gave me no advice or information whatsoever regarding the update .
Have done approx 200 miles since the update , so possibly it may be worth hanging on as apart from the engine i love the car really
Its a hard choice , principle tells you that why should you have to live with ,learn and adapt to faulty goods ! Anything else you bought you would expect a replacement or a refund

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.