Electric tailgate opening problem

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
pafrac

Electric tailgate opening problem

Post by pafrac » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:39 pm

Hi there,

I'm having an intermittent problem with opening the tailgate on my 2018 Excellence ... it will unlock and start to open, then stop and sound the 3 error beeps.

There's no apparent consistency on where it fails ... sometimes it does it as soon as the tailgate starts to move, other times it gets part way open. But once it does it, it won't open or close, and it stays stuck until I manually move it.

At first the problem seemed to be associated with putting the car through a car wash, or leaving it in the sun, but now it's appearing more and more often. Has anybody got any idea what might be causing it, and how I can fix it? Or am I looking at just taking the car back to the dealer to fix?
ATECA Xcellence 1.4 ECoTSi Petrol, Manual, Reflex Silver, Park Assist, Top view camera, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal & Keyless Entry.

matthab

Re: Electric tailgate opening problem

Post by matthab » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:11 am

The three beeps indicate it thinks it has hit something or is stuck, check there is nothing its catching on. Other than that it sounds like a dealer trip.
Seat Ateca 1.5tsi DSG Xcellence Lux Black Magic

Paul.Cambs

Post by Paul.Cambs » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:23 pm

I may be wrong but I think it may be current draw increasing above a cetrtian level that indicates it may have hit something, so it may be a case of dry slides or missalignment/binding
'Samantha' is a Feb-2018 Samoa FR 2.0 TSi 4Drive DSG
19" Wheels | KESSY | Power Tailgate | Adaptive Cruise | Top View Camera | Seat Sound
Convenience Pack | Winter Pack | Advanced Comfort and Driving Plus Pack | Heated Front Screen

pafrac

Post by pafrac » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:29 pm

Thanks guys.

I don't think it's hitting anything since it never sticks in the same place twice. Nothing appears to be misaligned, the tailgate opens and closes squarely and latches correctly, and as far as I can tell all the seals are under even pressure.

But dry slides is a definite possibility, that's something I can fix myself if I can figure out how to get them off ...

However that brings to mind a related question - it takes a fair bit of effort to move the tailgate manually. I assume I'm pushing against the motor, So is there anyway of disengaging that or is the automatic tailgate simply not supposed to be moved manually?
ATECA Xcellence 1.4 ECoTSi Petrol, Manual, Reflex Silver, Park Assist, Top view camera, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal & Keyless Entry.

vectra

Post by vectra » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:28 pm

I wonder are you standing right behind it by any chance?
I might be talking through my hat here, but is there a slim chance there is a sensor somewhere picking you up and thinking it is unsafe to open it?
MY19 Ateca FR 1.5Tsi DSG Velvet red, Digital cockpit, Beats audio, Winter pack, Leather, adaptive cruise, Electric boot, Kessy, Lane assist, Connectivity box, Alarm, Kessy, Rear view Camera. 8-)

Double gray

Post by Double gray » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:34 pm

You can alter the height the tailgate opens, try opening the tailgate and lift to full height and press the switch on tailgate for several seconds then close and see what happens, hopefully it wil work. good luck

pafrac

Post by pafrac » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:22 pm

vectra wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:28 pm
I wonder are you standing right behind it by any chance?
I might be talking through my hat here, but is there a slim chance there is a sensor somewhere picking you up and thinking it is unsafe to open it?
I thought of that one - unfortunately it also does it when I'm using the key fob and standing off to one side :(

Double gray wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:34 pm
You can alter the height the tailgate opens, try opening the tailgate and lift to full height and press the switch on tailgate for several seconds then close and see what happens, hopefully it wil work. good luck
I'll try that, thanks.

O.Lee

Post by O.Lee » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:57 pm

pafrac wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:39 pm
... it will unlock and start to open, then stop and sound the 3 error beeps.

There's no apparent consistency on where it fails ... sometimes it does it as soon as the tailgate starts to move, other times it gets part way open. But once it does it, it won't open or close, and it stays stuck until I manually move it....
Perhaps related to the virtual pedal process (where are the sensors for this?). I had trouble getting to make the virtual pedal work for ages, until I realised I need to stand back, after engaging it. So perhaps there is something covering a sensor or otherwise getting in the way, and it stops...
Ateca 1.5 EcoTSI, 110 KW, (150 CV) Start/Stop Xcellence Plus 2018 model

Return to “Faults & Technical”