Noisy wipers

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Jettabout

Noisy wipers

Post by Jettabout » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:35 am

Does anyone else think the wipers are noisy, grunching and squeeking across the windscreen in heavy rain. Car is only six months old and the wipers have got steadily worse and with the heavy rain today it's dreadfull.....
Once bought cheap ones which did that, never again, used Bosch ones since so I'll be fitting them the first chance I get.

Dave.
Dave.
2019 Ateca SE Tech 2.0ltr Tdi, Rodium grey, now with spare wheel, mudflaps, boot liner but still loving it...

tobydog

Re: Noisy wipers

Post by tobydog » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:59 pm

Had a problem with one of the fronts (drivers side) pretty early but kept it clean and it's been okay since. Both probably due for change now they're over two years old. The rear got very noisy and juddery very quickly and I replaced it with a Bosch and it's now prefect. Annoyingly, during my recent service, the manager suggested that my rear wiper was due for changing. He soon shut up when I told him it was a new Bosch that replaced the crappy SEAT one previously on there :roll: . Try and clean the blades and screen with white vinegar using newspaper.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Ghiggz

Post by Ghiggz » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:14 am

my rear started doing this really loudly, just gave the blade and glass a really good clean and been fine since...
Silver Ateca SE 1.6tdi

mark519005

Post by mark519005 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:55 pm

Personally, I think the wiper motor is noisier than in previous SEATs?

Max2090

Post by Max2090 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:59 pm

Ghiggz wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:14 am
my rear started doing this really loudly, just gave the blade and glass a really good clean and been fine since...
Mine started doing this after being cleaned by the dealership, never did before!
2019 1.6 Diesel SE Technology manual in metallic white.

Tet70

Post by Tet70 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:40 am

Jettabout wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:35 am
Does anyone else think the wipers are noisy, grunching and squeeking across the windscreen in heavy rain. Car is only six months old and the wipers have got steadily worse and with the heavy rain today it's dreadfull.....
Once bought cheap ones which did that, never again, used Bosch ones since so I'll be fitting them the first chance I get.

Dave.
It's time for you to buy new blades. The original ones were rubbish, mine literally disintegrated after about 6 months. I also like Bosch blades, and change them at least once a year.
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

Jettabout

Post by Jettabout » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:18 am

Ordered Bosch wipers yesterday to pick up today, £30 from Halfords. Cheaper than some on Fleabay which were around £34.
Windscreen and wipers had been cleaned a few times and although it did make a difference in heavy rain they still 'grunched' like cheap ones across the screen.
Dave.
2019 Ateca SE Tech 2.0ltr Tdi, Rodium grey, now with spare wheel, mudflaps, boot liner but still loving it...

stecornes

Post by stecornes » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:06 pm

Bosch blades a very quiet, but won't last many winters if there is ICE (very soft rubber). If you are in the UK, subscribe to the Euro Car Parts mailing list and they regularly have big discounts on wiper blades, I think mine cost about half the price of the same blades at Halfords.

If they are smearing, use isopropyl alcohol on the rubbers (or possibly glass cleaner on a cloth if you don't have any alcohol) and you will be amazed how much stuff comes off them and how much better they are afterwards.
2019 Ateca FR Sport 1.5 TSI Evo Velvet Red.

matthab

Post by matthab » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Changed mine to Bosch after the originals lasted 5000 miles. They bounced over the screen and were smeary. Tried all the usual tricks but nothing worked.

Hoping these last a lot longer.
Seat Ateca 1.5tsi DSG Xcellence Lux Black Magic

Max2090

Post by Max2090 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:21 pm

stecornes wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:06 pm
Bosch blades a very quiet, but won't last many winters if there is ICE (very soft rubber). If you are in the UK, subscribe to the Euro Car Parts mailing list and they regularly have big discounts on wiper blades, I think mine cost about half the price of the same blades at Halfords.

If they are smearing, use isopropyl alcohol on the rubbers (or possibly glass cleaner on a cloth if you don't have any alcohol) and you will be amazed how much stuff comes off them and how much better they are afterwards.
Agree with the above.
I use glass lense cleaning wipes every now and then on mine and the cr@p that comes of them is astounding.
2019 1.6 Diesel SE Technology manual in metallic white.

Return to “Faults & Technical”