My ATECA shakes / vibrates

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Bod

Post by Bod » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:12 pm

Do any of you have this problem?

First of all, I have to tell you that I am from Sweden, and therefore do not use the English language every day - so it can be a bit strange sometimes. :)

I have had the car for 1 month and it is a brand new SE 1.5 TSI DSG. Right from the start I noticed a rather weak vibration that was felt through the car itself, but not through the steering wheel. The car has been in the workshop of the dealer. There the wheels were checked (twice in different workshops) and in addition everything under the car was examined.

They found nothing wrong and now claim that it is the character of the car (to shake)!

I have owned and driven cars for 40 years, so I realize that a modern factory new car should not vibrate all the time.

The vibrations that occur due to the nature of the road vary all the time and can quite easily be associated with bumps or different types of asphalt. In addition to these shakes, there is a continuous shake in my car that is quite weak but clearly noticeable, with a frequency of about 3 shakes / sec.

This is not felt in the steering wheel but in the car itself, for example via the seat or if you hold your hand on an armrest.

It doesn't matter if I change speed, brakes, accelerates or rolls freely.

My question to you - Have any of you notice what I describe?

Grahamn

Re: My ATECA shakes / vibrates

Post by Grahamn » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:24 pm

Not so much shaking as vibration and sometimes noise as a result - but all depends on the road surface. I think this is just the stiffer suspension and also how much pressure is in the tyres? I reduced mine to the "comfort" setting and that made it better than it was. Different road surfaces can make it worse...coarse tarmac surfaces seems to make it resonate more for example. I'm not sure what else to suggest other than maybe check/adjust the tyre pressures which may ease the symptoms.

Rory

Post by Rory » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:05 pm

Bod wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:12 pm
They found nothing wrong and now claim that it is the character of the car (to shake)!
Do the dealers have a similar model to yours that you could try?
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

Bod

Post by Bod » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:30 pm

No they don’t, just an FR as a demo car. That one does not shake in the same way as my car.

Pjhoworth

Post by Pjhoworth » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:07 pm

Get them to drive yours then with you in it.

wazza

Post by wazza » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:19 pm

Check the tyre pressures first. I know that with some manufacturers they put in high tyre pressure for transit. The dealer then should put it down to normal pressure before handing the car to the customer.

Bod

Post by Bod » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:47 am

tyre pressure checked and it is normal!

peterm15

Post by peterm15 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:28 pm

I have the same uissue on my 1.5tst DSG, and its refered to a kangarooing. Its due to a problem with all VW group 1.5tsi engines. There is a "field campaign" update for the ECU (engine control unit) now and i have just booked my car in for the update after sepaking with Seat UK.

Tet70

Post by Tet70 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:41 pm

peterm15 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:28 pm
I have the same uissue on my 1.5tst DSG, and its refered to a kangarooing. Its due to a problem with all VW group 1.5tsi engines. There is a "field campaign" update for the ECU (engine control unit) now and i have just booked my car in for the update after sepaking with Seat UK.
Obviously not the same issue, as with the original poster's car.
Bod wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:12 pm
It doesn't matter if I change speed, brakes, accelerates or rolls freely.
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

SciAteca

Post by SciAteca » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:45 pm

Check that the transportation blocks have been removed from the suspension. These keep the suspension rigid when on a car transporter during delivery to the dealer, they should be removed at the PDI by the service guys.
Nevada White SE 1.0 Connectivity Hub, Dark tints, Boot divider net, Top view camera, Power tailgate, KESSY, Convenience pack, Dynamic m/c alloys, full LED lights, Sat Nav, + Dealer fitted: Mud flaps, Sill foils, Front panel trim, Life Shine, Spare wheel.

Return to “Faults & Technical”