Steering "creak" - any ideas?

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Sixsails

Steering "creak" - any ideas?

Post by Sixsails » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 pm

I have an issue with my car which is proving difficult to resolve. When the front suspension is loaded (such as reversing uphill or breaking downhill), there is a creak which appears to come from the front right corner as lock is applied. This is not at full lock but as the wheel is turned. This cannot be "felt" through the steering - indeed the steering feels fine. Dealer is aware of the issue but struggling to fix it.

Several TPIs already tried. These include to the best of my knowledge:
1) shaving 4mm off of each strut gaiter
2) dismantling the lower bushes and repacking with grease
3) replacing the upper strut bearing

Any ideas? Dealer seems to be trying their best, keeping me informed and providing a loan car. However the car has, in total, been in the workshops for around 16 days so far and the novelty of driving a Mii or Ibiza is wearing a little thin. Car has progressive steering by the way and in all other respects has been excellent.

Thanks.
Ateca SE Technology 1.4 TSI DSG in Lava Blue with Convenience Pack & Space Saver Spare.
Ordered 28/03/17. Delivered 31/01/18 after 44 weeks!

Den48

Re: Steering "creak" - any ideas?

Post by Den48 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi, my car also has a creak or slight knock from what appears to be the steering but it could be suspension, the noise appears when pulling onto a flat drive travelling slowly,manoeuvring or parking and is more pronounced when the car is hot. Other than this the steering and suspension appear to be working fine. I don't think it is anything to do with the CV joints because there is no sound on full lock.
The car is going to the dealer on Friday would be interesting to read any thoughts before then, will report back with any info.

Ateca SE Technology 1.5 7500 miles

Sixsails

Post by Sixsails » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:51 pm

Interesting. The "symptoms" do sound very similar. My car is still with the dealer. Had a call yesterday to say they intend to use some kind of stethoscope to try and pinpoint exactly where it is coming from. I understand that SEAT Technical are involved also at this stage. I will contact the dealer again tomorrow to see if they have any further ideas. Let me know how you get on tomorrow. By the way my car has covered around 10700 miles and has had the issue from around 3000 miles.
Ateca SE Technology 1.4 TSI DSG in Lava Blue with Convenience Pack & Space Saver Spare.

Den48

Post by Den48 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:23 pm

Hi, had the car in at the dealership today to investigate a noise from the steering , a creak or slight knock, dealership have said that there is a bulletin out from Seat ,as a result of other customers observation. Apparently there are reinforced bellows on the system that can touch under certain conditions. Seat have said to the dealer that it is a characteristic of the car and as such not covered by warranty. Dealer stated that even if the parts were replaced the same noise would still be there under certain conditions. ?????

Sixsails

Post by Sixsails » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:09 pm

????? indeed! Not sure I would be happy with the "this is a characteristic" approach. This sounds like the TPI relating to the suspension strut gaiters or bellows. I understand this is a common issue on Atecas and can be cured by cutting around 4mm off each bellow - if that is the problem. This was the first thing tried on mine but to no effect.
Did receive a call from the technician dealing with my car this morning. He disconnected the front anti-roll bar and then tried to replicate the creak but couldn't, so thinking is it could be the anti-roll bar bushes. New ones have been ordered to be fitted early next week.
I'll keep you posted.

Sixsails

Post by Sixsails » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:48 pm

Problem solved! It appears that it was the anti-roll bar bushes causing the creak. Have been running the car for a couple of weeks and no sign of the noise.
I understand that the bushes cannot be fitted separately so a complete new anti-roll bar (with bushes) was installed. Apparently this involves dropping the sub-frame so not an easy task.
Cured the problem though. Back to thoroughly enjoying the car!

Boro

Post by Boro » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:49 pm

Hi. Going back to this old post, has the creaking returned or still ok after the ant-roll bar change? We have an Ateca 1.4 TSi FR which we've had from new for just over two years. After around 6 months I noticed creaking in a similar way to you. It has been in to the dealer on four occasions and I've also had a technician sit in the vehicle with me (though COVID social distancing didn't help!). Apart from some greasing/lubrication (which made no difference) they say they can't hear any noise and I'm left with an annoying sound!!! Interestingly when I first looked on the net I couldn't find any similar scenarios but then you're experience came up which sounds uncannily similar. I've tried recording videos on my phone but not easy to isolate the creaking from other sounds and so not obvious when sharing. Any guidance/thoughts would be appreciated! I've driven many cars and many miles and never come across this and though it's not the 'end of the world', I don't see why a 26k car should make such a noise! Cheers

vectra

Post by vectra » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:44 am

I also have this on my 2019 ateca fr,
I really notice it when stopped and turning the steering left to right to left.
MY19 Ateca FR 1.5Tsi DSG Velvet red, Digital cockpit, Beats audio, Winter pack, Leather, adaptive cruise, Electric boot, Kessy, Lane assist, Connectivity box, Alarm, Kessy, Rear view Camera. 8-)

Lin

Post by Lin » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:14 pm

This sounds similar to what I hear when turning steering on my 2019 Ateca. Like Vectra, I notice it most when turning the steering while stopped.
I might try and see if I can record the sound on video but not sure how to upload it to the forum.
2019 Ateca FR Sport 2.0 TSI DSG 4Drive

Boro

Post by Boro » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:34 pm

Thanks both. I get the feeling it's a known issue but Seat put it down to being 'acceptable' and until I finally get a good video clip with the noise is clear to hear, I'm unlikely to get anywhere! Just very strange especially as not present when cold, but after a few miles driving...