Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Unusual Rear Fog Light Warning

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Etchings 
#1 ·
This morning was the first time I have needed to use the rear fog lights on in my 2018 Ateca only to get a constant dash warning accompanied with a loud dinging tell me to turn my rear fog light off! Its was really annoying and quite off putting.

Why would it be telling me turn it off when I am driving in thick fog? Is it connected to the Auto Light function by any chance? Anyone else come across this?

#2 ·
Yep, I came across it this last week. I seldom use rear fog lights. The only time is on unlit roads when I am the last vehicle in a line or on my own with nothing behind me.My thinking being that if some bozo is driving fast, he'll see me from farther back with the fog light on that with it off. I hate following someone who has left theirs on. I digress. several times it beeped at me. I initially thought it was smart and wanted me to switch off to avoid dazzling the car behind....but there was no car behind. It seems to be another of the extra warning things that are utterly useless or incorrectly set up

#5 ·
Yep, it's related to speed, no obvious explanation given in the manual, but in the other thread it came down to two things:

1) You're only supposed to use fog lights when visibility is 'severely reduced' according to the highway code. (Reduced visibility <= 100m, what 'severely reduced' means is something else... I was taught it was roughly 50m). Anyway, if you've got them on then it's poor visibility, so should you be driving so fast?

2) In Germany it is a legal restriction that you can only use fog lights up to 50kph (31mph approx)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.