Banner EFB Battery Woes

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
kitster

Banner EFB Battery Woes

Post by kitster » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:21 pm

Hi all,

Our Ateca (Sep 2017) Banner EFB car battery has died again, this is now the 2nd time it has happened since new. Reading on this forum it sounds like the OE battery is pants.

1st time the RAC partially charged the battery and we were told to go for a drive for 60 mins. We did that followed by a full charge using a CTEK MXS 5.0 (last summer). Last week the battery died again to the point where the electrics are completely dead, I was driving the car daily beforehand (before the lockdown). We charged the battery again using a NOCO Genuis5 until it was 80% full. When we tried to start the car:

- The starter motor does not "turn".
- Tons of errors appearing in the dashboard.
- Car lights/interior lights are on.

The next day we hooked the NOCO back to the battery and it was then reporting less than 25% charge. So we have gone from 80% to less than 25% overnight.

Bad timing with all that's happening at the moment, the local Seat dealer has shut up shop. The car is need for food shopping as deliveries is like winning the lottery. I'm in the mind that the car battery is duff as it's not holding charge and not supplying enough power to fire up the starter.

New battery? At this point, the cost of the battery is the least of my worries.
Seat Ateca 1.4 TSI DSG SE Tech

NeilW

Re: Banner EFB Battery Woes

Post by NeilW » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:12 pm

A new battery is probably the simplest solution, depending on where is open at the moment.
Many years ago my dad had issues with his Rover 214 failing to start with a flat battery and the issue was a faulty alternator. When the AA came out it even had a good go at draining their large battery. A faulty alternator can often be identified after a drive (yes, I realise that's not particularly helpful!) through a burning metal smell that reminiscent of Scalelctrix.
1.4 Excellence in Rodium Grey with mud flaps. Collected 21st Jan 2017.

RoyWolfey

Post by RoyWolfey » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:23 am

I’d recommend Tayna batteries for a replacement. Online, reasonably priced, and next day delivery.
MY19 Ateca 2.0 TSI XCELLENCE Lux Petrol DSG 4Drive in Black Magic

RoyWolfey

Post by RoyWolfey » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:28 am

kitster wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:21 pm
- Car lights/interior lights are on.
Maybe a daft question but could the interior lights being on be contributing to the battery drain?
MY19 Ateca 2.0 TSI XCELLENCE Lux Petrol DSG 4Drive in Black Magic

Ciano

Post by Ciano » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:27 am

As above
Have you checked for a parasitic drain?

stepdey

Post by stepdey » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:35 pm

I'm never 100% happy that the glove box light has gone out when closing the glove box.
2017 Ateca Xcellence 1.4 ECOTsi DSG. Nevada White, 19" Diamond Cut Alloys.

MikeW

Post by MikeW » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:47 pm

I worked in battery manufacturing for some years and Banner was a well regarded make and still is as far as I know. I doubt if that's the problem.
The charging regime used now is hard on batteries, they like to be charged more generously, but that is disregarded in favour of a tiny reduction in fuel use.

elevenses

Post by elevenses » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:02 am

Put your phone on video mode in the glovebox and close it. Look at the video afterwards and see if the light went out. Suggest jump start from another car and a drive to charge battery for the time being...
2016 2.0TDi Xcellence 4drive 190 in metallic White with lots of toys...

PSC21

Post by PSC21 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:37 pm

I hope you have this sorted out now. If not I had 2 battaries off Ebay last year. A heavy duty Bosch for my weekend car a 3.2 Audi TT. I got the biggest that would fit. It arrived next day and was a third of Euro car parts , or Halforfs price. Car has sat 4 weeks and burst into life. The second was a cheapy for nieghbours Lexus , £30 , it's still great for him as he hardly uses the car.
FRS Velvet Red. Collected 17/1/20 Replacing 2018 Tiguan SEL Bitdi 4motion DSG , Replaced 2017 Leon Cupra.

johnbirt

Post by johnbirt » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:40 pm

Possibly not a great deal of help to the OP but SEAT roadside assistance did very well by me. I had a flat battery last week although there had been indications for a few weeks that the 12V battery was low and although I had driven it a little to turn the engine over clearly not enough.

SEAT Assistance said they normally use the AA but they would turn up without a replacement battery if one were needed so they were sending a SEAT technician out the following morning with a battery in case it was needed. He duly arrived at 10.30 am having been promised before 12.30. Keeping social distance he said it would take from 20 mins to an hour. In the event it was 1 hour as he first had to partially charge and test the current battery before he could issue a replacement which he did. Said is was a much better one than the original but the replacement under warranty needed a few hoops to jump through which he did for me and I didn't have to sign or do anything. Brilliant service, great technician.

Battery works fine and seems more powerful if that's a thing you can notice! I will certainly look at extending roadside assistance when my warranty runs out. Mine is a late 2018 (Dec) Cupra Ateca. First issue I have had with it and likely my fault for not driving it enough.

Cheap batteries for me have always been a false economy. Hopefully this one will be as described a better model and more powerful.