Drive mode defaults to Normal at engine switch on

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
iPaul

Drive mode defaults to Normal at engine switch on

Post by iPaul » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:48 pm

Hi,

I have a 2019 2.0 Petrol Excellence Lux 4Drive automatic, which I have owned since new. Using the rotary dial near the gear selector, I can choose "Eco", "Normal" or "Sport" mode, as well as the 4wd terrain programs. I noticed recently though that if I use the dial to select either "Sport" or "Eco" mode, then when I turn the engine off, the next time I start the engine the car defaults to back to "Normal" mode, regardless of what the dial is set to. As soon as I move the dial, the corresponding mode is selected correctly, but again, that is forgotten the next time I turn off the engine.

Has anybody else seen this issue? Say, for the sake of argument, I wanted to leave the car permanently in "Sport" mode, if I set the dial to sport, the next time I start the engine it will default to "Normal" mode, until I remember to move the dial the dial again, even though the dial shows the LED indicator at the sport mode. When I start the engine, the digital dash shows the gear selected as "D1", "D2" etc. until I move the dial again.

My car is going in for it's 2 year service in a couple of months, and I can live with the issue until then, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had this issue and if it was resolved successfully?

Cheers,

Paul

Deleted User 2408

Re: Drive mode defaults to Normal at engine switch on

Post by Deleted User 2408 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:40 pm

Hi
In the 1.5 Tsi manual the drive mode automatically reverts back to the normal mode after the engine is switched off and started again regardless of what mode the dial is in, if you want sports mode you need to reselect it each start up.

I don’t believe it is a fault, it’s just the way it is , I am not aware if there is anything in the settings whereby you could lock in the sports mode
When you start the car.

Paul.Cambs

Post by Paul.Cambs » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:20 pm

I believe it does this to qualify for the emmisions the car is quoted for, perhaps in the past it stayed in the slected mode till the regulations tightened
'Samantha' is a Feb-2018 Samoa FR 2.0 TSi 4Drive DSG
19" Wheels | KESSY | Power Tailgate | Adaptive Cruise | Top View Camera | Seat Sound
Convenience Pack | Winter Pack | Advanced Comfort and Driving Plus Pack | Heated Front Screen

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:18 pm

It’s yet another emissions issue. To conform to the stated mpg etc it has to be the default.

Not much you can do about it and I have not seen an OBD11 or Carista hack to change it.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

iPaul

Post by iPaul » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:04 am

Thanks for the response gents. I understand the rationale you are giving, but it just seems a bit odd that the dial remembers it's last state when the car is defaulting to normal mode. Not the end of the world, in the grand scheme of things though.

Cheers,

Paul

Johnny B

Post by Johnny B » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:42 am

iPaul wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:04 am
Thanks for the response gents. I understand the rationale you are giving, but it just seems a bit odd that the dial remembers it's last state when the car is defaulting to normal mode. Not the end of the world, in the grand scheme of things though.

Cheers,

Paul
It's not really a case of the dial having a memory..... it's just much easier and cheaper to have the software revert the car to normal than to also fit a motor in the dial to turn it back too
2021 Black Magic Xperience Lux 2.0 TSI 4 Drive - Ordered 8/12/20 (Week 50) - Built 6/4/21 - Est Del. 17/5/21

iPaul

Post by iPaul » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:55 pm

Hi Johnny B,

No motor would be required. There is an LED for every stop on the dial position, so all it would take would be for the software at start up to illuminate the LED opposite "Normal", rather than remembering the last position selected, so it is consistent with the default driving mode. In my 2019 car, the dial selector rotates freely so I'm guessing that it's just the relative movement the dial mechanism is sensing, not the absolute position of the dial. I would have no issue with the car defaulting to "Normal" mode, as long as the tell tale LED on the dial also indicates "Normal" rather than kidding me I'm in "Sport" or "Eco" mode, based on what was active when I last turned off the engine.

Anyway, not worth losing sleep over in the grand scheme of things, but a minor annoyance, to me anyway. Don't get me started on the undersized cup holders though... ;)

Cheers,

Paul

Narrowboat Tony

Post by Narrowboat Tony » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:00 pm

The cupholders are not undersized. Your cups are too big

iPaul

Post by iPaul » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:11 pm

Touché, Tony. Good point, well made 8-)

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:48 pm

Out of interest, just how many drivers drive in anything other than normal mode?
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.