Drive mode defaults to Normal at engine switch on

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Dunkelmann

Re: Drive mode defaults to Normal at engine switch on

Post by Dunkelmann » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:05 pm

I drive in the individual setting where everything is normal but the DCC is in comfort mode. It doesn't need to be changed on startup because (from the manual)
"When the engine is switched off it will store the driving profile that was selected when the ignition was turned off. When restarted, the engine and the gearbox will start in their Normal mode. To return the engine and gearbox to the desired mode, reselect the corresponding driving profile by turning the Driving Experience button or select from the infotainment display. ● When the vehicle is restarted after using the Offroad or Snow settings, the system is always activated in the Normal profile"
Ateca Xperience, petrol, 1.5l, DSG, Black, 12/2020

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:11 pm

In other words it always starts in normal mode.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

Dunkelmann

Post by Dunkelmann » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:18 am

Fred99 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:11 pm
In other words it always starts in normal mode.
Fred if you mean by "it" the engine setting, you are correct.

However the drive profile is retained except for that part that pertains to engine. The engine mode is only part of the drive profile.

So for those who have changed the user profile settings but left the emgine mode as Normal, these other setting are retained.

Personally I agree with everyone else that resetting engine mode is daft in principle. However if you don't care then set up and use the individual user setting.
Ateca Xperience, petrol, 1.5l, DSG, Black, 12/2020

n16njs

Post by n16njs » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:43 am

Emissions probably. Sport mode will use more fuel. VAG in enough trouble concerning emissions also safety possibly. Cold weather starts in Sport mode not best idea ice conditions. Health and safety control everything.
Ateca Xperience Lux 2.0tsi 4 Drive Dark Camouflage

rafletcher

Post by rafletcher » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:58 pm

Fred99 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:48 pm
Out of interest, just how many drivers drive in anything other than normal mode?
I do for one - usually (as I have a Cupra Ateca) in "Individual" mode. Irritating the LED doesn't default back to normal on a restart.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:30 pm

With a Cupra I would expect that. For normal Atecas, I doubt there will be many who use anything apart from the standard mode. I do use the custom mode, but never the granny mode (ECO).
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

Narrowboat Tony

Post by Narrowboat Tony » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:03 pm

Well my 2018 2.0 150tdi manual box behaves differently. If i leave it in off road or snow and then switch off. When i turn on it defaults to normal and is indicated as such on the dial led and the touchscreen indication, but if i leave it in sport, when i switch back on it is in sport.

Johnny B

Post by Johnny B » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:08 am

Narrowboat Tony wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:03 pm
Well my 2018 2.0 150tdi manual box behaves differently. If i leave it in off road or snow and then switch off. When i turn on it defaults to normal and is indicated as such on the dial led and the touchscreen indication, but if i leave it in sport, when i switch back on it is in sport.
That's a much better setup..... I'm pretty sure my 2018 Leon remained in Sport mode too. Think this might be have been changed recently to allow for the newer emission rules.
2021 Black Magic Xperience Lux 2.0 TSI 4 Drive - Ordered 8/12/20 (Week 50) - Built 6/4/21 - Est Del. 17/5/21

Johnny B

Post by Johnny B » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:17 am

iPaul wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:55 pm
Hi Johnny B,

No motor would be required. There is an LED for every stop on the dial position, so all it would take would be for the software at start up to illuminate the LED opposite "Normal", rather than remembering the last position selected, so it is consistent with the default driving mode. In my 2019 car, the dial selector rotates freely so I'm guessing that it's just the relative movement the dial mechanism is sensing, not the absolute position of the dial. I would have no issue with the car defaulting to "Normal" mode, as long as the tell tale LED on the dial also indicates "Normal" rather than kidding me I'm in "Sport" or "Eco" mode, based on what was active when I last turned off the engine.

Anyway, not worth losing sleep over in the grand scheme of things, but a minor annoyance, to me anyway. Don't get me started on the undersized cup holders though... ;)

Cheers,

Paul
Ah gotcha!! That makes sense! Wasn't sure if it rotated freely or not..... haven't got mine yet! Totally agree in that case, strange that they didn't change that too!

Haha... I had a Leon.... could never understand the reason for the smaller cup holder!
2021 Black Magic Xperience Lux 2.0 TSI 4 Drive - Ordered 8/12/20 (Week 50) - Built 6/4/21 - Est Del. 17/5/21

Narrowboat Tony

Post by Narrowboat Tony » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:01 am

iPaul wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:48 pm
Hi,

I have a 2019 2.0 Petrol Excellence Lux 4Drive automatic, which I have owned since new. Using the rotary dial near the gear selector, I can choose "Eco", "Normal" or "Sport" mode, as well as the 4wd terrain programs. I noticed recently though that if I use the dial to select either "Sport" or "Eco" mode, then when I turn the engine off, the next time I start the engine the car defaults to back to "Normal" mode, regardless of what the dial is set to. As soon as I move the dial, the corresponding mode is selected correctly, but again, that is forgotten the next time I turn off the engine.

Has anybody else seen this issue? Say, for the sake of argument, I wanted to leave the car permanently in "Sport" mode, if I set the dial to sport, the next time I start the engine it will default to "Normal" mode, until I remember to move the dial the dial again, even though the dial shows the LED indicator at the sport mode. When I start the engine, the digital dash shows the gear selected as "D1", "D2" etc. until I move the dial again.

My car is going in for it's 2 year service in a couple of months, and I can live with the issue until then, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had this issue and if it was resolved successfully?

Cheers,

Paul
how do you know that it has defaulted to normal mode if all the indication's show you that it is still in sport