Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Annoying rattle

50K views 58 replies 34 participants last post by  Bocca70 
#1 ·
Hi had the car for a month now and it's developed a annoying rattle that is coming from the stearing column. Have tried moving the stearing wheel to different positions but still rattles. Anyone else had any problems. Will have to book it in at dealers.

#3 ·
Book it into a dealer, nope haven't had it.

Had the front speaker rattling to sound but it's stopped that. Just as well. Whatever that was it sorted itself out.

#4 ·
Also had a tinny rattle in the same area, started at about 2000 miles.

Most noticeable and continuous over some of the coarser road surfaces we have here. Eventually tracked down as coming from a "box" directly underneath the steering column. Sounds like a loose cover or similar. Does anyone know what is in this box? Presumably electronics. Also could be heard if you slammed the car door.

Hit the cover with my hand a few times to confirm. Tinny rattle could be heard, but has now stopped!! Maybe this will work with you.

#5 ·
Hi, first post for me as only just taken possession 2 weeks ago. Last week whilst driving I started noticing a vibration / rattle behind the dash, somewhere in front of me. Took this back to SEAT who cannot find the issue, so have re-booked for a 48 hour investigation at the end of the month. The sound is only noticeable on roads that need resurfacing, or have loose stones. You can't hear it going over proper bumps or on perfect roads.

Ever so slightly irritating. Its hard to hear, but once you hear it its all you can focus on. Any of the people on this thread had a result as yet?

#6 ·
Fitz said:
Hi, first post for me as only just taken possession 2 weeks ago. Last week whilst driving I started noticing a vibration / rattle behind the dash, somewhere in front of me. Took this back to SEAT who cannot find the issue, so have re-booked for a 48 hour investigation at the end of the month. The sound is only noticeable on roads that need resurfacing, or have loose stones. You can't hear it going over proper bumps or on perfect roads.

Ever so slightly irritating. Its hard to hear, but once you hear it its all you can focus on. Any of the people on this thread had a result as yet?
I have a vibration noise from the same area - noticeable at low revs...
Be interested to know what the dealer finds...

#7 ·
I had a rattle the other week was convinced it was passenger door area was driving me mad. Took my sun glasses out of the overhead storage rattle gone!. So pleased I did not take it back to pentagon

#8 ·
Sadly no such luck. Given that the car was pretty much brand new, I haven't yet had the opportunity to fill it with junk. I did check all the compartments but listening to the noise, it sort of sounds like its coming from behind the steering column.

Its been to SEAT for the day already and they cannot locate the issue, so we'll just have to see what happens after a bigger examination.

#9 ·
Vaguely rings a bell that I read somewhere, possible the German forum of a control box that sits back there. I haven't looked for this box and it may be behind a panel, but there was someone talking about noise generated by this box being loose. You may find something on the German forum looking for the German keywords.

#10 ·
Had my Ateca since the end of December now.

It developed an annoying rattle behind the steering column around 2 months ago but thought nothing of it. Took it to the dealers in the end to get it checked and they 'resolved' it...not.

The day after the rattle got worse. Not just at low revs but constant loud ratttle. Not only that the central locking switch on the drivers side has stopped working and ANOTHER rattle has appeared from the passenger rear door. It looks like whatever they have done - they made my poor Ateca worse.

Any news on the rattles people have posted on here?

Going back to the dealership next week and will state I dont want the car back until the rattle is resolved.

#16 ·
Just had a call back from the dealership. So the good news is that they believe they have located the rattle - in fact there were two.

One coming from the instrument panel, which needed some packing. The second was a screw that hadn't been tightened properly in the steering column which eventually came free. The resulting movement has meant some cosmetic damage (I can only assume to the plastic trim) so they have ordered a new part under warranty ETA 3 - 4 weeks.

Fingers crossed thats the issue resolved.

#18 ·
Mine was with my dealer for 4 days last week for various warranty related issues including a bad rattle around the drivers side.

I am pleased to confirm that they have managed to fix it! :D It was something to do with bolts on the drivers knee airbag! :roll:

#19 ·
Yup mine is going in tomorrow for the same annoying rattle. Mine seems to be coming from both driver and passenger windows/doors, as soon as you get above 20mph it gets louder and louder. It stops if you press against the door so not sure if something is loose inside

#21 ·
Fitz said:
Issue not resolved, rattle still present
Had mine in last week for a rattle at the bottom of the steering column, It was a black box, I know this as when I tapped it with my fist it would replicate the noise. Dealer fixed it. Turned out to be a bracket that goes over the steering column at the bottom (slack screw), I was told it was not a safety issue just cosmetic.

#23 ·
I've noticed the odd rattle on uneven roads from my driver's side vent (right of steering wheel). Not annoying enough to book in immediately so adopting the wait-and-see approach before heading to a dealers to look at.

Was it all your dash vents or just the one? From what I've noticed it feels like the inner vent guides (the vertical slats) are the ones that appear to rattle. Not sure if much can be done hence the wait-and-see approach.

Let us know how you get on.

#25 ·
I have had my vehicle at the SEAT workshop to fix a rattle coming from low left side in the front of the driver's seat. The rattle was most significantly about 1500 rpm on the engine. They show me a service message from SEAT SWEDEN there they have discoverd a problem behind the inner liner of the front door. The service message described how they would fix the problem. The rattle has been much better but I'm not shure it is gone to be total silence. I have to test the car a little more to see if I can induce the rattle any more.

#26 ·
Hi. Mine has rattle in the passanger door. Went to the shop and they discovered there was some padding missing inside the door. Next attempt to fix this next week. Also that door has issue with electric window especially when there is moisture in the surface of it. When lowering the window and trying to get it up again it will (in most cases) stuck (or lower back down because of torgue sensing). Shop said they did not see this phenomenon but the window was dry at the time Heteca was in the shop. Next week I take my own spray bottle to the shop and advise them how to get this fault visible :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.