Ateca Design Fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
matthab

Re: Ateca Design Fault

Post by matthab » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:29 am

The_Chap wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:04 pm
I have just bought my Ateca and straight away have this issue. I wish I had seen this forum before my purchase. I will not be buying another Seat. :(
Sorry but are you trolling? The issue is a non issue, just clean it when the car is cleaned.

Second to that Seat offer a 12 year rust prevention warranty, see here: https://www.seat.co.uk/owners/your-seat ... ranty.html
Seat Ateca 1.5tsi DSG Xcellence Lux Black Magic

O.Lee

Post by O.Lee » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:52 pm

or you stay off the muddy roads - which may or may not be an option. Been driving the new Ateca for 1500km over a month now, without a single proper wash (but also not driven in rain, as we didnt get much here). So far dont feel its necessary to clean that part

IMG_20190307_123423.jpg

IMG_20190307_123429.jpg

IMG_20190307_123445.jpg

Ateca 1.5 EcoTSI, 110 KW, (150 CV) Start/Stop Xcellence Plus 2018 model

The_Chap

Post by The_Chap » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:42 pm

I appreciate your sentiments. My car is worse than any of the pictures I have seen on this forum, hence my consternation. I have contacted Seat who have advised I take the vehicle to a garage which I will do. Seat at Derby have never heard of this. That is there Master Technician who can find no record of this officially. He has, however, now looked at this website. This will be my last post on the subject as do not want to get in to arguments.

skk

Post by skk » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Digging up this old topic. Found rust from the lower corner of the right rear door. Exactly from area where wheel arch seal is in contact with the door. Not good. Car is only 1 year old and has done 18k miles, has ceramic coating and received weekly washes. Need to get it fixed and must start thinking about the seal upgrade.

jamesiow

Post by jamesiow » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:45 pm

skk wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:36 pm
Digging up this old topic. Found rust from the lower corner of the right rear door. Exactly from area where wheel arch seal is in contact with the door. Not good. Car is only 1 year old and has done 18k miles, has ceramic coating and received weekly washes. Need to get it fixed and must start thinking about the seal upgrade.
Sorry to learn this - could you post some photos?
ATECA SE 1.0 Technology, Petrol, Manual, Samoa Orange, Park Assist, Convenience Pack, Top view camera with rear view camera, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal, Keyless Entry & Rear Sunblinds.

DenisWH

Post by DenisWH » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:57 pm

Had a look at mine this afternoon. While I can see that a build up of debris would certainly not look good these are the sort of places that I include in a car wash/clean which I do myself. I note there are drain holes in the plastic anti scuff trim fitted to the bottom of the doors which should obviously be kept clear.
In all honesty I don't see an issue that regular cleaning won't take care of. The book even tells you that regular cleaning is good for the car.This is the sort of issue that will turn you paranoid......if you let it :lol:

SamW

Post by SamW » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:24 pm

It is an issue, in all the cars I've owned, I've never had a build up of crud, dirt and tiny stones. It is a design fault, car is booked in for a service early Sept and will have the door seal replaced again for the third time under warranty. Car will be 3 years old in October.

DSC_1303.JPG

DSC_1304.JPG

1.0 TSI SE Tech Nevada White, Protection pack, Thule 969 wing bars and Thule 591 cycle racks.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:08 pm

Just wash it!
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

SamW

Post by SamW » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:39 am

If the car had been designed correctly, I would not have to wash the car on a daily basis. A large part of my driving is on country lanes and visiting farms down tracks. None of my previous cars suffered from dirt ingress in this area.
1.0 TSI SE Tech Nevada White, Protection pack, Thule 969 wing bars and Thule 591 cycle racks.

skk

Post by skk » Sun May 02, 2021 4:48 pm

Update: after I had rear doors repaired about 1.5 years ago, the problem has returned - both doors, same spot, paint rubbed off and rust statting to form. Seals are in ok condition and not loose or broken anyhow, as seen from some pictures here made by fellow users.

I am sure it is caused by the dirt getting between the seal and the door. As time passes it just sands the paint off.
To this date from the beginning I have washed my car at least once a week and paid special attention to critical areas around rear doors.

Will get it fixed again and think I should put xpel or other brand ppf to the lower part of rear doors...

I also noticed another possible ticking timebomb- bottom edges of doors, area between plastic parts and door frame. I have lots of dirt debris there and it is basically impossible to remove without taking the trim apart.